Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Help with my efficiency problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #11
Brewrifle
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm in Austin as well and use a Chloramine/Chlorine water filter from my outside faucet coupled with Gypsum (1tsp per 5 gallons) in the mash and have great results thus far. I'd recommend crushing your own grains after doing any adjustments to your water that you deem necessary.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #12
DankHead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewrifle View Post
I'm in Austin as well and use a Chloramine/Chlorine water filter from my outside faucet coupled with Gypsum (1tsp per 5 gallons) in the mash and have great results thus far. I'd recommend crushing your own grains after doing any adjustments to your water that you deem necessary.
Thank you, sir. I just went and got some gypsum and have been using a water filter for the last few brew days.

Thanks again!

Primary:
Chocolate Stout

Secondary:

Kegged:
BIAB Black IPA
Throw Together Pale Ale (Tropical Edition)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #13
MBTB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

With regards to gravity consistency, you could stick to the same water to grain ratio for every batch. For example: 1.25 qts. water to 1 lb. grain for the mash and 2 qts. water to 1 lb. grain for batch sparge for a total of 3.25 qts. per lb. of grain. If you increase the mash water qty., lower the sparge water qty. the same amount and vice versa.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply