New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Help me salvage a lager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 295 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Default Help me salvage a lager

You see, I had this house lager on tap that was bloody delicious. Brewed it in the winter using the cold room for lagering/fermenting. So in my infinite wisdom when this ran out about 6 weeks ago, I just brewed up another batch. Figured I'd be pushing the limits of the yeast with the basement at 62F, but what the hell. I'd just lager it in a keg in the keezer. No biggie.

Well, somehow the basement got way to hot, and the lid blew off the fermenter. I saw this within 24 hours of it happening and quickly moved it to a swamp cooler and rotated ice blocks for a week or so. The beer is now attenuated waaaaay down lower than I'd expect, and I'm guessing there's a whole lot of fusel alcohols kicking around there. ANyway, taste is what really matters, so I'm asking what to do here to save this. It tastes -okay-, but not as good as it should.

Should I:
-Rack to secondary and just leave it until, say, December?
-Rack to secondary on top of some kind of fruit, and leave it all bloody winter?
-Just lager it in a swamp cooler for 2 months and have September lager beer?

I will never do this again - next project is a fermentation chamber, but I'm holding out for a cheap used freezer. People seem to only want to sell these in the fall.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Chances are you will have some fruity flavors, likely bubblegummy. These don't fade very well. So that suggests a cover-up is needed. I'd be tempted to secondary it for a couple weeks, then give it a light dry hop (say 1 oz for 5-7 days) and then keg and lager it.

Primary: Ger. Pils , OKZ (std Amer. lager), OKZ II (for base malt comparison), Saison
Brewing soon: light beer - yes, light beer, Saison
Recently kicked : ( Kolsch, IPA, Holiday Saison, Baltic porter,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 07-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 295 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Well, popped 'er open on Sunday. Something was growing on top - a film of some sort. Racked to secondary on a can of peaches. The film stuck to the fermenter as it drained, so I think we're good.

This is now left to sit covered up for the next 6 months and forgotten. When I stumble over this in the winter I'll revive the thread as I know you're all just so excited to hear how it turns out.

Quick Reply