*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Help me with my dry hopping experiment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2009, 01:09 PM   #11
Bullbythehorns
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Dont be so sure on the Design of Experiments being only known to you. I use it on a regular basis as well as DFSS, I wouldn't be surprised if others on here utilize it as well.

FERMENTING: BCS Black Forest Stout, Two Hearted Ale Clone
ON TAP: Dry Irish Stout, Epic Pale Ale Clone, BM's Cent Blonde, Blackfoot River IPA, Racer 5 IPA clone with homegrown hops, Oatmeal Chocolate Stout, Threee Floyd's Gumball head clone, Moose Drools Clone
ON DECK: Saison, Pliny the Elder clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2009, 03:22 PM   #12
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

"Design Of Experiments" - No clue, why not explain? 41,000+ HBT members I would think more than two of you know what it is but I sure don't.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:54 PM   #13
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Design of Experiemnts
Wikipedia probably explains it better, but I'll try to summarize.

One of the posters on the previous page suggested that in order to understand the influence each factor has on the finished product, I should hold all factors constant except one, which I vary by known quantities, and then I can observer the outcome of that factor. Then I repeat ad nauseum for each factor until I fully understand how all of these variations result in different tasting beers.

The main idea with Design of Experiments is that you set up a series or set of experiments to account for not only the effects of single factors, but the interaction effects between multiple factors. So in the case of the dry-hopping experiment, let's say I have the following factors I'm considering:

Hop Variety
Amount of Hops
Length of addition
Time of addition

By setting up a properly designed experiment, I can also observe the interaction effects between Amount & Time, Length & Time, and if I wanted to run enough levels, even Amount of Hops, Length, and Times of additions.

When I mentioned Full Factorial before basically that just means running all the combinations between the factors. In this case with four factors I'm looking at a minimum of 16 combinations to test. That is, if I do two "levels" which means I only pick two values to try for each factor, I end up with 2^4 design points. However, using two levels assumes that there's a linear effect on the results by all the factors. E.g. Adding 1oz. of Columbus is going to leave twice the impression as 0.5oz. I would say that's unlikely, so I'd need to do at least 3 levels which would allow my to fit a quadratic curve to the results. However 3 levels means you'd have to perform 3^4 = 81 tests for a Full Factorial design.

Hence why I mentioned other types of designs like Plackett-Burman, which allow you reduce the number of experiments and still observe interaction effects.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:46 PM   #14
murphyslaw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Interesting...I'd like to do something similar...so you can just use milk containers or soda bottles with aluminum foil over it for fermentation? The airlock isn't necessary?

Old 07-25-2009, 09:04 PM   #15
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
so you can just use milk containers or soda bottles with aluminum foil over it for fermentation?
I use foil or plastic wrap for primary and then use drilled stoppers with airlocks for secondary.

Quick Reply