Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Help me make sure my No Chill technique is correct.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2009, 06:58 PM   #1
pnj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

Default Help me make sure my No Chill technique is correct.

From what I've read, this looks pretty simple. I will be making EdWorts Haus Ale, AG. I will be boiling in two kettles on my stove also.

I have a six gallon primary that has a plastic spicket and the lid has a hole in the top for an airlock. Also, I am pretty sure my lid leaks air, will this be a problem? I know in the past, I have had to give my wort/beer a shake and saw small drips coming from the bucket lid, indicating a lid that doesn't seal perfectly. (I suspect all plastic lids don't seal too well)

Is it nessassary to whirlpool and syphon? What would the effect be on my beer if I simply put the entire contents from my boil kettle into the bucket?

I plan on pitching the dry yeast the next day (within 24 hours or so). How will I airiate the wort and can I just pitch the yeast directly into my primary bucket?

With the leaky bucket lid, and the drain valve/spicket (which may not hold up to much PSI), I'm thinking No Chill may not be the way for me..?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #2
MMW
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

How do you plane to siphon your hot wort? It's too hot for an auto siphon. I just pour everything into an ale pail (I leave trub if I can, but it's not a big deal if you miss some). I plug the hole with a sanitized dial thermometer (the big long one that came with my fryer pot).

The next day I siphon to a carboy and use a venturi to aerate (look up cheap and easy aeration gadget). If I had a stone and the O2 bottle/aquarium pump I'd probably use that instead.

I shook the heck out of my ale pail with no other transfer for my first no-chill and did not care for that process.

Primary:A simple Bock, Vienna

Bottled: Centennial Blonde, Mostly Dead Guy Ale, Pale Rye Ale

On Deck: waiting...

Old 07-08-2009, 07:15 PM   #3
beerocd
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You're probably just overthinking it. Could you let it cool covered in your pots after you stir it in a circle for a while? Stuff will settle, you can then siphon the beer off the gunk and aearate in the same motion into your bucket, and finally pitch. See - simple.

If you want to complicate it a bit, pull off a cup of wort, cool it in the fridge and give your yeast a 24 hour head start before dumping it all in your fermenter.

-OCD

Due to recent economic crisis, stock market crash, budget cuts, and the rising cost of everything including taxes: "The Light at the End of The Tunnel" has been turned off.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:17 PM   #4
pnj
Recipes 

Hmm, I was going to siphon using a racking can/rubber hose but I guess 190+ might be too hot for that?

I could use a carboy for my primary but both of the ones I have a only 5 gallons. I think I'd loose some beer due to blowoff..

I guess my question is, why siphon? Is it to remove the crud that wouldn't normally form if I use a wort chiller? Typically, I don't use hop bags and end up w/ a bunch of stuff in the bottom of my primary, I then loose most of that when I secondary. But maybe without the use of a wort chiller, I do need to siphon?

Old 07-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #5
MMW
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Nah. No need to siphon hot. Like I said, I just pour. Just make sure you have a plan for aeration is all-- which is something you probably want to do cold. I'm on the fence on the whole HSA deal but see no reason to temp fate

Primary:A simple Bock, Vienna

Bottled: Centennial Blonde, Mostly Dead Guy Ale, Pale Rye Ale

On Deck: waiting...

Old 07-08-2009, 07:56 PM   #6
beerocd
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

OK, this is all about "easy" right? What about siphoning the wort off the stuff in the bottom of the BK after it has all cooled. And then skip secondary.

-OCD

Due to recent economic crisis, stock market crash, budget cuts, and the rising cost of everything including taxes: "The Light at the End of The Tunnel" has been turned off.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:59 PM   #7
pnj
Recipes 

What is HSA? I suck at acronyms. and spelling....

Old 07-08-2009, 08:04 PM   #8
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6069 Times on 5303 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnj View Post
What is HSA? I suck at acronyms. and spelling....
hot side aeration....

traditional wisdom says that aerating the wort about 90*F is HSA and can lead to increased oxidation, but more recently, homebrewers aren't convinced it happens in the small scale that we brew at.

Quick Reply