New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Help Going to a Full Boil Kettle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2008, 09:20 PM   #1
jklotz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Help Going to a Full Boil Kettle

I live in a loft/condo. 3 flights up! I want to go to a full boil, but don't have a lot of options. I could:

a) do it in the loft. It is a big place, 18 ft ceilings. Wood floors, kind of scares me.

b) go outside, carrying everything down 3 flights of stairs, then carrying it all back up afterwards.

c) try to figure out some way to do it in 2 pots on my electric stove at the same time.

What do you think?

Primary - Sweetwater 420 Clone
Secondary 1- "Super Smoove" Nut Brown Ale
Secondary 2 - "Tank Slapper" California Common
Bottled - "Homewrecker" IIPA
Bottled - "Wife Beater" IPA
On Deck - American Amber Brown Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2008, 09:30 PM   #2
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
a) do it in the loft. It is a big place, 18 ft ceilings. Wood floors, kind of scares me.
Im going to catch hell for this, but I would do it in the loft. ONLY if you have good cross ventilation. Also hopefully you have a good ceiling fan, and if it's a drywall ceiling, it may darken over time from open boiling. I've done 20 batches in my garage with no ill effects to the ceiling yet, but I boil under a ceiling fan and have a fan blowing on the boil from the side.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
fretbrner
Recipes 

I wouldn't take the chance. If something goes wrong, its not only your home thats going to be destroyed. I'm going to assume you have no balcony. Did you plan to use a gas burner for this??

As much of a pain I am sure it is, I would just drag everything down and do it outside.

You could also go the electic route that some brewers are going, where by the adding a heating element to the kettle.

There have been alot of creative people in the homebrew community that have came up with ways to brew inside such an enclosed space.

Just got back into brewing :) Slowly building up my beer stash!

On Deck: APA, Irish Red, Saison,
Primary: None
Secondary: None
Bottled(aging): Hefeweizen
Bottled(drinking): Christmas Ale
Kegged(carbing): None

Old 11-13-2008, 01:38 PM   #4
Kilgore_Trout
Recipes 

I'm a frail weakling so carrying it around would be right out for me, I have trouble maneuvering the pot as it is.

How big is your pot? If it's a decent size you shouldn't be too worried about boil-overs on an electric range, they are usually kind of weak... just watch it like a hawk.

I've done my last three brews full boil in my kitchen on a gas stove. 30qt turkey fryer pot. I usually put the pot on two burners at once to get it going really well. No boil overs yet but I watch it closely!

Do you have a wort chiller? Chilling a full boil without one is tough.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:43 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2669 Times on 1611 Posts
Likes Given: 3462

Or you can do this....http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/improved-boiling-stovetop-53683/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-13-2008, 01:51 PM   #6
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4528 Times on 4248 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I would;

1.) Buy a BIG assed Fire Extinguisher. (But small enough my frail weakling ass can still lift and point it)

2.) Buy a largish square of 1/16 to 1/8 Aluminum (Small enough to still fit under a bed) to place under the burner system as a psuedo heat shield and boil over mat.

3.) Get a CO detector

And do it in the loft. (40) ±212º pounds of syrup is a LOT to carry 3 flights of stairs.

People have been cooking on open flames indoors for centuries without incident so, why oh why with todays technology is it so infeasible to even consider such a thing.

Just don't be an idiot and leave the thing burning and un-attended. And for gods sake don't do this over carpet or linoleum. Wood, eh, okay. Ceramic = Perfect. At least 5 foot from any walls.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:52 PM   #7
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretbrner View Post
You could also go the electic route that some brewers are going, where by the adding a heating element to the kettle.

There have been alot of creative people in the homebrew community that have came up with ways to brew inside such an enclosed space.
Thats the route I'd go if I were you

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 11-13-2008, 01:55 PM   #8
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4528 Times on 4248 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
Thats the route I'd go if I were you
+1 Missed that. And would be ideal.

Mebe even look at the heat stick, IIRC, Austin Homebrew Supply (welcome Forrest) or Williams are pedling.

Quick Reply