Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Help with fridge for lagering (pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2005, 12:35 AM   #1
Somerville
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Help with fridge for lagering (pics)

Hey I have this mini fridge laying around and thought maybe I could use it for lagering (with the correct external temp. controller). Yet, when I open it, the bottom is not big enough for a fermenter because a big square is going into it...the freezer part is on top and is taking up room, plus the shelves on the door (butter holder) eliminate alot of room too...is there anything I can do to it to make it able to fit a fermenter and carboy (not at the same time). Thanks...here are some pics...the can of soda is for size comparison...thanks again.

(None)

Bottled
(None)
R.I.P.
Dry Irish Stout #1
German Pilsner #1
American Pale Ale #1
California Ale #1
Dusseldorf Style Altbier #1

Last edited by Somerville; 08-10-2005 at 12:38 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2005, 12:52 AM   #2
Sir Sudster

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Make a platform out of plywood that lays on the shelf. then put your fermenter on the platform.

Old 08-10-2005, 12:55 AM   #3
bikebryan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudster
Make a platform out of plywood that lays on the shelf. then put your fermenter on the platform.
That alone won't work. The freezer at top takes up too much room so a five gallon fermenter or carboy, plus airlock, won't fit.

I've read posts (and seen pictures) where folks say they have carefully bent the freezer floor up to the top of the mini-fridge. If you try it, you have to be careful not to seriously crimp the refrigerant tubes in it, and you most certainly DO NOT want to crack them.

Old 08-10-2005, 01:23 AM   #4
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikebryan
That alone won't work. The freezer at top takes up too much room so a five gallon fermenter or carboy, plus airlock, won't fit.

I've read posts (and seen pictures) where folks say they have carefully bent the freezer floor up to the top of the mini-fridge. If you try it, you have to be careful not to seriously crimp the refrigerant tubes in it, and you most certainly DO NOT want to crack them.
That's what I did to mine. Worked like a charm.
I also built a shelf (like Sudster suggested) so the door would shut. I'm proud of my ingenuity to make the fridge work.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 08-10-2005, 01:25 AM   #5
Sir Sudster

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It's hard for me to tell from the pics the total size of this thing.

You could buy 2.5 gallon carboys that would fit. Split your batches ..but that might be a pain. But , it would work.

Old 08-10-2005, 07:35 AM   #6
Somerville

Recipes 

Thanks yeah...that would be kind of a hassle and I would have to spend more money lol. The freezer part isnt very airtight which means that perhaps they kind of share temperatures or something...I could take off all the freezer parts but then Im not really sure how a external temp controller will handle that...with the top being really cold and the bottom being less...I dont know...perhaps I could drill out some of the box caving in...it has some of the electricals in it that i can see from the back but for the most part i think its hollow...ill examine thanks guys

(None)

Bottled
(None)
R.I.P.
Dry Irish Stout #1
German Pilsner #1
American Pale Ale #1
California Ale #1

Old 08-10-2005, 12:42 PM   #7
bikebryan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerville
Thanks yeah...that would be kind of a hassle and I would have to spend more money lol. The freezer part isnt very airtight which means that perhaps they kind of share temperatures or something...I could take off all the freezer parts but then Im not really sure how a external temp controller will handle that...with the top being really cold and the bottom being less...I dont know...perhaps I could drill out some of the box caving in...it has some of the electricals in it that i can see from the back but for the most part i think its hollow...ill examine thanks guys
These small refrigerators don't have "airtight" freezers. Refrigerant is circulated through the coils in the walls of that tiny little freezer, which is how it works. You can't remove the freezer without breaking the coolant lines, meaning you then just have a box that won't chill since all the coolant will be gone.

Old 08-10-2005, 05:35 PM   #8
Somerville

Recipes 

Oh..well, I think ill just deal with lagers in the future...im still kinda new
thanks though

(None)

Bottled
(None)
R.I.P.
Dry Irish Stout #1
German Pilsner #1
American Pale Ale #1
California Ale #1

Old 12-02-2006, 07:06 PM   #9
Bsquared

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default My Project in the works

About 6months ago I moved to a new place, and had to consolidate my full size keg-o-rator, so I built this one Keg mini. It works fine, but It is a tight fit for the CO2, keg and fittings as you can see.
post1.jpg

post2.jpg
First thing was to remove the door panel and cut out the shelfs so you can re-attach the door seal.

post4.jpg

Disassemble the connections for the freezer, then you can vary gently bend down the coolant tubing so the freezer unit can be bent back ageist the back of the fridge.
post3.jpg
My new project is to convert this mini-fridge for lagering . But like you I realized it wont fit a primary fermenter, but it will fit a 5gal keg if I take out the Door. I also am looking into these as a Primary, Square 5 to 6gal plastic carboys I need to measure the in side of my new Fridge to see if have to modify it for these to fit. They are FDA certified for food so they will work well if they fit.

shelves.http://www.bayteccontainers.com/5galsqplju.html

Old 12-03-2006, 08:34 PM   #10
Bsquared

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I took the measurements from my mini and the Baytech containers and they will fit with out modification! the dimensions of the space above the compressor housing is 12L X 15W X 16T, with the 5gal container is 9 3/4 X 14 1/2.

If I modify the freezer I can fit the 6gal size

also I found this Igloo cargo container

http://www.igloo-store.com/product_d...R=fullbeverage

And It will fit if I remove the door shelfing.

I guess the question is if these containers are suitable for a Primary fermentation vessel?

Quick Reply