The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Help with diagnosing stuck fermentations

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2009, 04:59 PM   #11
noisy123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3n8 View Post
That certainly looks more effective to me than shaking. That is much more violent than I imagined, and am now trying to imagine how that degasses anything .
Lol, I just tried to degas some mead that is in the beginning of its fermentation. Believe me, mid-fermentation it will bring the Co2 right out of the solution... along with a 1/4 of my must in bubbly fountain-like form. What a mess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3n8 View Post
One idea that just popped into my head because these are Belgian style yeast strains. How much (if any) simple sugar are you using in your recipe? Are you adding it during the boil, or later in the primary? I read somewhere that yeast go for the simple sugars first, and this may inhibit the consumption of maltose, especially in higher alcohol % environments. The tripel I mentioned previously had all of the simple sugar added to the primary around the time the krausen began to fall. It was at 1.01 when I added 1lb dextrose and a jar of Lyles Golden Syrup (invert sucrose). It then finished at 1.008.
That's a really good idea. I have been adding the sugars (1.5 lbs of candi for the tripel and 1 lb of brown for the strong dark) during the boil. I think I will add them after primary fermentation from now on.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2009, 08:19 PM   #12
noisy123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There seems to be two camps on the aeration issue. One camp claims that 8 ppm aeration from a pump with sterile filter or vigorous shaking is enough to avoid a stuck fermentation iff a sufficient amount of yeast was pitched. Has anyone ever had a stuck fermentation when they pitched plenty of yeast with minimal aeration?

Old 02-05-2009, 09:29 PM   #13
Whisler85
Recipes 

i dont think you are using enough simple sugars to have problems with the yeast not eating the malt sugars

in brewing classic styles, jamil's belgian golden strong recipe is 11 pounds pilsner malt, with 3 pounds of cane sugar- certainly more simple sugar than you are using

he is also getting 89% apparent attenuation, which is absurdly high...

Quick Reply