Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Help, Brew-Day approaching, not sure if I'll have a big carboy open...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2006, 01:44 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Help, Brew-Day approaching, not sure if I'll have a big carboy open...

So it's Wednesday. On Saturday, my fiancee is going to Richmond for the day to do a final wedding dress fitting. I don't need to go. In other words, it's brew day.

Here's my problem:

Currently, my empty fermenting vessels are: a small (5.5 gal?) bucket and a small (5.5 gal?) glass carboy available, plus a big (6-6.5 gal?) glass carboy.

I currently have a Porter finishing up primary in a big carboy, and a barleywine finishing up primary in a big bucket.

I want to brew two batches on saturday; however, as of this morning (Wednesday), the Porter in the big carboy still has a 1" krausen on top, and bubbles through the airlock every once in awhile. As such, I'm not terribly confident that the yeast will have flocculated and fallen by saturday, so I'm not sure if I'll have 2 big carboys. I brewed the Porter + barleywine last friday, so I SHOULD be able to rack to secondary on Friday, but I don't want to rush it and rack before flocculation.

On that note, I DO still have a couple of free small vessels, as I mentioned above. I've never done primary fermentation of a 5-gallon batch in a small carboy---is this a good idea?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to proceed if I still have krausen as of friday night/saturday morning? Help please!!!

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2006, 02:59 PM   #2
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

if you have a LHBS nearby, I would just go ahead and pick up another carboy.

Old 08-23-2006, 03:04 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimone
if you have a LHBS nearby, I would just go ahead and pick up another carboy.
If I had a LHBS nearby, believe me, I wouldn't have the need to ask the question. Unfortunately, the closest one is somethin like an hour and a half away. Nuts to that. Is fermenting in a small carboy a bad idea?

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 08-23-2006, 03:07 PM   #4
Exo

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

If you think your recipe will give you huge blow-offs...you might lose considerable volume in a smaller carboy. Or you could build a DIY Burton Union system. It recycles your blow-off.

Wasp Bitten IPA (a Walker-San clone);Cheesefood's Caramel Creme; Wee Heavy Scottish Ale;
Bottled/Conditioning:
Flyin' Hornet Pale Ale(Mirror Pond clone);Oktoberfest Ale
Drinking:
Boom-Boom Apricot Hefeweisen; Forbidden Ale;Pale-Ass Ale (SNPA Clone); Ol' Man Winter Ale
On-deck:
Dead Guy clone
Planning:
Walker's Espresso Stout; BrewPastor's Bastard Lager
Quote:
But honey, how else am I going to get enough bottles for my next batch? *burp*...*fart*

Old 08-23-2006, 03:12 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo
If you think your recipe will give you huge blow-offs...you might lose considerable volume in a smaller carboy. Or you could build a DIY Burton Union system. It recycles your blow-off.
I've brewed 8 batches, and the only krausen that's gotten bigger than 2" thick was a bigass barleywine that had 11 or 12 lbs of extract in it in addition to the partial mash, so that was to be expected. I'm using dry yeast on both batches---a pumpkin amber and a imperial stout---I guess the imp stout might produce a big krausen, so I could ferment that one in the big carboy. I can't imagine the pumpkin would really get that bad. Any thoughts?

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 08-23-2006, 03:12 PM   #6
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

You should be fine - as long as you can rig up a proper blow-off tube.

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 08-23-2006, 03:20 PM   #7
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 331 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 116

MoreBeer.com could have it there to you in two days
JJ

Old 08-23-2006, 03:42 PM   #8
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts

You could also brew a short batch. Back your recipe down to 4.5 gallons and a 5 gallon carboy has plenty of headspace.

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Old 08-23-2006, 03:55 PM   #9
gruntingfrog
Recipes 

The size of the Krausen has a lot to do with the yeast you use (not entirely, but a lot). I would say, if you're using the same yeast as your other batches, and you don't have a high gravity wort, go ahead with the full 5 gallon batch, but use a blowoff tube. You can rig one up with stuff you can get at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Put the Imperial in the larger carboy and the pumpkin in the smaller.

Up Next: Belgian Dubbel, English Pale Ale
Fermenter 1: Blonde Ale Experiment 1 | Fermenter 2: Blonde Ale Experiment 2 | Fermenter 3: Northern English Brown | Fermenter 4: Nothing
Keg 1: Nothing | Keg 2: Nothing | Keg 3: Nothing
Bottled: Nothing

Old 08-23-2006, 04:37 PM   #10
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntingfrog
The size of the Krausen has a lot to do with the yeast you use (not entirely, but a lot). I would say, if you're using the same yeast as your other batches, and you don't have a high gravity wort, go ahead with the full 5 gallon batch, but use a blowoff tube. You can rig one up with stuff you can get at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Put the Imperial in the larger carboy and the pumpkin in the smaller.
I've never used a blowoff tube. How does it work? Do you just run a tube into a bucket of bleach water?

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Quick Reply