New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Help--Add undried Cascade Hops to Pale Ale?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
bcook
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help--Add undried Cascade Hops to Pale Ale?

Hi Greetings-- I'm a new brewer looking for advice on wet hopping a Pale Ale.

I brewed my first 10 gallon all-grain batch of Pale Ale for neighborhood party, and my neighbor just told me he has some Cascade hops harvested but not yet dried. The pale ale is now finishing primary fermentation and I'd like to consider adding some of the Cascade hops to the Pale Ale secondary fermentation on one or both of the 5-gallon fermenters. I've never wet hopped so wondering about how much of the undried hops I should consider adding. My beersmith program doesn't seem to indicate that adding leaf Cascade to secondary will increase the IBUs significantly, and given its Cascade it'll mostly be for aroma.

Current hopping (for 10 gal batch)
* .57 Magnum @ 60 mins
* .87 perle @ 30 mins
* 1.73 Cascade @ 10 mins
* 3.64 Cascade @ flameout

Would you add the Cascade undried hops to Secondary? If so, how much? Advice appreciated- thanks for any thoughts you may have here.

-Ben

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Good neighbor!! Rub a few in your hands and smell them. If that's a smell you'd like in your beer, then do it!! A few oz would be great.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
And1129
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Because they're wet, you will have to use a lot more than if they had been dried because they weigh a lot more. I'm not sure what the exact proportion is, but if you are used to dry hopping, then I would use at least twice the weight of wet hops to aim for a similar effect of your usual amount of "dry" dry hops.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:41 AM   #4
bcook
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thanks to you both--- I understand its about a ratio of 5:1 of dried:wet hopping, so if I think the Pale Ale could work with a couple oz of dry hopping then I can add the 5x corresponding wet hop. My brewsmith program indicates that even a pound of wet hops would increase IBU (I guess becuase its only in secondary fermentation) so also seems to suggest its safe to add.

My street like big hoppy beers but does this seem like it'd still be a "crowd-pleaser"?

Old 09-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
tagz
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I would be cautious. All the homegrown hops I have played around with have had a grassy flavor. Just make sure they have the aroma you want before putting them in.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
H22W
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

You're on track with the 5:1 to 4:1 range with the ratio of wet weight to dry weight.

I haven't verified myself, but read here that wet hops are undesirable for dry hopping due to grassy smell.

I am guessing that the grassy smell is less stable and is first to go away when drying or boiling. Which could explain how wet hops are suitable for the boil.

Quick Reply