Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Hefeweizen blow offs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2006, 06:10 PM   #1
BrewProject
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Hefeweizen blow offs

I have read from numerous members around here that Hefeweizen's have a tendancy to blow off. it has me a bit timid about using an airlock on my primary bucket this upcoming weekend.

I am brewing AHB's Bavarian Hefeweizen... and several people have mentioned they had blow offs with that kit and other Hefe recipes.

my question is;
can i just use my 5/16" siphon hose out of my rubber grommet on my plastic bucket, or should i invest in a carboy and use a bigger diameter blow off hose?

i really don't wanna go buy a carboy this week, but if the smaller diameter hose is gonna cause me trouble then i guess i will have too...

Primary 2:
Nut Brown Ale

Secondary 1:
Available

Secondary 2:
Available

Kegged and Drinking:
American IPA, Special Holiday Ale

Bottled and Drinking:
Irish Red Ale, Summer Saison Belgian Ale, Pumpkin Ale, Fat Tire Clone

Planning: Chiplote Ale, Blueberry Wheat, Cherry Stout, Chocolate Cherry Stout and been thinking about something crazy like a Wintergreen Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2006, 06:52 PM   #2
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

You should be fine just using your 5/16" tubing stuck into the grommet in the bucket lid. I have heard of many people doing this. If you are really concerned about it you could get some Foam Control Drops and never worry about it again. I must say that I have still had blow offs using the foam control, but it is less than it would have been, and I do use 6 gallon Better-Bottles for my primaries and they have less head space than a fermenting bucket.

John

Old 09-05-2006, 06:55 PM   #3
BrewProject
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22
You should be fine just using your 5/16" tubing stuck into the grommet in the bucket lid. I have heard of many people doing this. If you are really concerned about it you could get some Foam Control Drops and never worry about it again. I must say that I have still had blow offs using the foam control, but it is less than it would have been, and I do use 6 gallon Better-Bottles for my primaries and they have less head space than a fermenting bucket.

John
thanks johnsma22,

that's what i was hoping you guys would say.

if i have a non-controlled blow off in the mine and SWMBO's closet my brewing career could have come to an early end... just wanna be prepared...

one more question:
should i wait until the airlock has activity to push the blow off hose in place or just start with the blow off hose...?

thanks again

Primary 2:
Nut Brown Ale

Secondary 1:
Available

Secondary 2:
Available

Kegged and Drinking:

Bottled and Drinking:

Planning: Chiplote Ale, Blueberry Wheat, Cherry Stout, Chocolate Cherry Stout and been thinking about something crazy like a Wintergreen Stout

Old 09-05-2006, 06:55 PM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you have 5" of space above your brew in the primary you should be safe.

Old 09-05-2006, 07:13 PM   #5
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

It won't hurt anything to start off with the blow off tube in there. I always just assume I will get a blow off and start with it in place. If I don't get one I used to put the airlock back, but now I just leave the blow off tube in there until I'm ready to rack it. Just be sure that the blow off tube is sitting in a container of water or sanitizer solution.

Oh, also, with a blow off tube that small I would check it often to make sure that it does not get plugged up. I wouldn't want to be around if you had an eruption on your wife's clothing!

John

Old 09-05-2006, 07:19 PM   #6
BrewProject
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
If you have 5" of space above your brew in the primary you should be safe.
i have read of several here that had blow offs with Hefe beers. really don't remember what size their primaries were. mine is 6.5 gallons, so i hope that is all good..

Primary 2:
Nut Brown Ale

Secondary 1:
Available

Secondary 2:
Available

Kegged and Drinking:

Bottled and Drinking:

Old 09-05-2006, 07:20 PM   #7
BrewProject
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22
It won't hurt anything to start off with the blow off tube in there. I always just assume I will get a blow off and start with it in place. If I don't get one I used to put the airlock back, but now I just leave the blow off tube in there until I'm ready to rack it. Just be sure that the blow off tube is sitting in a container of water or sanitizer solution.

Oh, also, with a blow off tube that small I would check it often to make sure that it does not get plugged up. I wouldn't want to be around if you had an eruption on your wife's clothing!

John
thanks again for the input... appreciate it

Primary 2:
Nut Brown Ale

Secondary 1:
Available

Secondary 2:
Available

Kegged and Drinking:

Bottled and Drinking:

Old 09-05-2006, 08:25 PM   #8
Exo

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Had lot's of blow-off with my recent Hefe. And to be honest, I typically use only a blow-off tube for my primaries. I mean...it's an airlock if the end of the tube is submersed in water so why F with it?

Wasp Bitten IPA (a Walker-San clone);Cheesefood's Caramel Creme; Wee Heavy Scottish Ale;
Bottled/Conditioning:
Flyin' Hornet Pale Ale(Mirror Pond clone);Oktoberfest Ale
Drinking:
Boom-Boom Apricot Hefeweisen; Forbidden Ale;Pale-Ass Ale (SNPA Clone); Ol' Man Winter Ale
On-deck:
Dead Guy clone
Planning:
Walker's Espresso Stout; BrewPastor's Bastard Lager
Quote:
But honey, how else am I going to get enough bottles for my next batch? *burp*...*fart*

Old 09-05-2006, 08:27 PM   #9
BrewProject
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo
Had lot's of blow-off with my recent Hefe. And to be honest, I typically use only a blow-off tube for my primaries. I mean...it's an airlock if the end of the tube is submersed in water so why F with it?
exactly, that's my plan...

Primary 2:
Nut Brown Ale

Secondary 1:
Available

Secondary 2:
Available

Kegged and Drinking:

Bottled and Drinking:

Old 09-06-2006, 04:05 AM   #10
troybinso
Recipes 

There has got to be a joke in there about a blow off tube, an eruption and your wife's clothing, but I can't seem to put it all together.

Quick Reply