Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > head retention?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2008, 09:29 PM   #21
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Froth like that should be compliment enough, but you need to go get a pro-brewer hat and wear it proudly. Ed need a stamp of approval he can knight brewers with, lol. Seriously though, very nice. I try to educate people and they think I am just being EAC, but they all tell others what I told them when it comes to beer, lol. I heard a friend the other day who gives me hell about "knowing everything" about beer tell someone exactly what lacing means in a beer. LOL, I just looked over at him and he was like, what? LOL, glad it is rubbing off on non-brewers I guess. All of these pix make me want a sample. I want one of those glasses springer, what style are those called?

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2008, 09:35 PM   #22
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WortMonger View Post
Froth like that should be compliment enough, but you need to go get a pro-brewer hat and wear it proudly. Ed need a stamp of approval he can knight brewers with, lol. Seriously though, very nice. I try to educate people and they think I am just being EAC, but they all tell others what I told them when it comes to beer, lol. I heard a friend the other day who gives me hell about "knowing everything" about beer tell someone exactly what lacing means in a beer. LOL, I just looked over at him and he was like, what? LOL, glad it is rubbing off on non-brewers I guess. All of these pix make me want a sample. I want one of those glasses springer, what style are those called?
I have no idea my SIL got it for me from the bar he works . The ESB in the pic is long gone but I am doing another soon maybe a swap when its done .....

most likely jinxed myself it turn out flat...lol

This is on the glass think its the makers mark

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Reason: markings on glass

Old 10-01-2008, 09:37 PM   #23
gwood

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
gwood, you are correct IIRC. The more unmodified your malt the more you need to do things like this. Example is single infusion mashes that have great head retention compared to a true under modified decoction lager grain bill. You would have to coax the lager with a rest, but the other is just fine without. Then you single infusion lagers that have great head retention without a rest. It really does matter on what you are using to determine if it is "necessary" or not.
Got it, just wanted to make sure I was at least on the page. I just have to find a couple of good reference sources for what types of grain bills/styles will potentially require steps and which won't. My sense is most of the styles that I'm brewing right (American Ales...APAs and IPAs) won't be impacted.

I do like the idea of step mashing but I'm torn between direct fire vs. steam etc, essentially the difference between really "stepping" between temps or "ramping" between temps.

The troubles of our proud and angry dust
Are from eternity, and shall not fail.
Bear them we can, and if we can we must.
Shoulder the sky, my lad, and drink your ale.
A. E. Housman

Follow me on Twitter @SoCalBeer

Old 10-01-2008, 09:42 PM   #24
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

I'm actually not too picky about my steps on the protein rest. I've never gone longer than 30 minutes, normally sticking around 20. Temperatures usually are on the higher side of the range (around 125ish or so, and I've gone up to 130), and I keep my mash thick for the rest (no more than 1:1).

Yes, since I'm always working with fully modified malts, I do not see tremendous differences. However, I most certainly improved head formation, texture, and retention with a protein rest and without adding other grains or maltodextrin. I've also noticed that hazier beers tend to clear more quickly, which makes a bit of sense. Clearing also helps with head retention.

The thick mash helps promote protease activity, and it gives some room to bring the mash temperature up without getting your mash too thin.

I have no doubt that I could get the same or better results with a half-pound of wheat or flaked barley, but the protein rest is a bit of fun tinkering.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 10-02-2008, 12:09 AM   #25
gwood

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLaw View Post
I'm actually not too picky about my steps on the protein rest. I've never gone longer than 30 minutes, normally sticking around 20. Temperatures usually are on the higher side of the range (around 125ish or so, and I've gone up to 130), and I keep my mash thick for the rest (no more than 1:1).

Yes, since I'm always working with fully modified malts, I do not see tremendous differences. However, I most certainly improved head formation, texture, and retention with a protein rest and without adding other grains or maltodextrin. I've also noticed that hazier beers tend to clear more quickly, which makes a bit of sense. Clearing also helps with head retention.

The thick mash helps promote protease activity, and it gives some room to bring the mash temperature up without getting your mash too thin.

I have no doubt that I could get the same or better results with a half-pound of wheat or flaked barley, but the protein rest is a bit of fun tinkering.

TL
What is your set up like TL? Do you direct fire your mashtun or recirculate?

The troubles of our proud and angry dust
Are from eternity, and shall not fail.
Bear them we can, and if we can we must.
Shoulder the sky, my lad, and drink your ale.
A. E. Housman

Follow me on Twitter @SoCalBeer

Old 10-02-2008, 12:14 PM   #26
Brewer#19
Recipes 

thanks for the response guys and glad to see a quick question turned into a good discussion. i'll throw some flaked barley in my next batch.

Homebrewing cures working or at least washes it away.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:24 PM   #27
TeleTwanger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

+1 on flaked barely....Torrified wheat is another one if you can find it.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:25 PM   #28
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks TexLaw, I was thinking the same thing about kicking out my carapils on that last recipe and got great head retention with the 130*F 30 minute rest. It actually had better head than the same recipe with the carapils. I was just curious about what exactly you did, so now I feel I did right. In the brewery they just did single infusion and I always wanted to do steps at home because of how fun they are. Now decoctions are fun . My P-canner is gonna get a lot of use on lagers with adjuncts.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 10-03-2008, 03:24 PM   #29
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwood View Post
What is your set up like TL? Do you direct fire your mashtun or recirculate?
Neither. I have a five gallon pot, a ten gallon pot, and a ten gallon Igloo cooler. I have not yet seen the need to upgrade, although I might be nice.

TL

Old 10-03-2008, 03:28 PM   #30
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Quote:
Thanks TexLaw, I was thinking the same thing about kicking out my carapils on that last recipe and got great head retention with the 130*F 30 minute rest. It actually had better head than the same recipe with the carapils.
I'm not very surprised, there. Carapils adds more unfermentable sugars to the wort, rather than protein, and I understand that protein content is much more important to head formation and retention than unfermentables. The albumin, other proteins, and peptides create a matrix that the saccharides can supplement or just fill in, but they don't hold up like the proteins.

Just look at sea foam. That's protein, not sugar.

TL

Quick Reply