Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Has anyone tried caramelizing lactose?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2012, 05:39 AM   #41
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2672 Times on 2078 Posts
Likes Given: 328

Awesome. Getting together enough of an order for free shipping will be no problem. Where did you find that promo code? I wonder how long it's good for..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 05:40 AM   #42
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber
Awesome. Getting together enough of an order for free shipping will be no problem. Where did you find that promo code? I wonder how long it's good for..
I edited that post... read the end of it

Old 08-21-2012, 05:45 AM   #43
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Great. I may as well go for the 12 pounds. I imagine it will keep for a couple years.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:27 AM   #44
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The best deal is actually for 15lbs, because the free shipping over $20 only works for 10lbs or less, but there's another method that becomes free at the $40 mark. So it's only $4 more for an extra 3lbs.

Even better deal than getting the 2lbs, actually, as 15lbs comes out to only $2.70/lb. An awesome deal, but that's a lot of lactose!

If only that free shipping applied to Canadian orders too, I'd buy 15lbs tonight

Might be a good idea for group buys, if people have a local homebrew club. People can buy smaller amounts at the same $2.70 rate, and then next time somebody else can place their "first order".

Old 08-25-2012, 11:42 PM   #45
ssgearhart
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I did a Creme Brulee Java Stout a while back. It was a basic stout recipe to start out. I just carmalized a pound or so of table sugar and added it to the end of the boil, along with approx the same amount of of lactose at the same time. Sorry for being vague about the amounts, it's been a while. I then added about 4 cups of fairly strong coffee, and 1 vanilla bean that I split and soaked in a couple of Tbls of vodka for an hour or so to the secondary.
Turned out awsome. I was trying to make something similar to a beer I had at the Great Taste of the Midwest Beerfest from Kuhnhenn Brewing Co. They were serving it out of a Slushie Machine, calling it "Brain Freeze".
Cheers.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:45 PM   #46
bottlebomber
Recipes 

I love the idea of beer slurpees. Maybe that will be the next big thing, after the kegerator builds die down.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:04 AM   #47
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1015 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 2695

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
So I got my stuff today, and I did it. I feel like it was a big success, and it basically accomplished just what I was after. I decided to sack up and use a dry caramel method. I don't know if that was the best idea, as this stuff behaves MUCH differently than table sugar when it is caramelizing. I had crystallization from hell because I was paranoid about burning it, and stirred about 10x more than I would have if I was making regular caramel. In the end I took it right to where I wanted it, just shy of burnt. One thing that I found very strange was that when sucrose is caramelized, it gets perceivably less sweet as it caramelizes. But with this lactose, it seemed the opposite. It tasted bland and chalky while dry, but rich and sweet when caramelized.
I am very happy with the experiment so far, now I just need to see if the flavor will hold up in the beer. When I was done I put about a pint of water back in, dissolved the caramel, chucked 3 Tahitian vanilla beans in and then put it into secondary and racked my brûlée stout onto it.
Please let us know if there is any sweetness after this beer is finished. I'd like to consider back sweetening my hard apple cider this way!

Old 09-04-2012, 06:23 AM   #48
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay
1) Go to the following link: http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Healt...1-lb-454-g/657

3) Use the coupon code BUY123 (gives $5 off your first order; $10 if you spend over $40)
Just got 8 lbs of lactose for $2.82 a pound delivered, half the price of most places and with free shipping at that. Nice deal.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #49
keesh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hey I didn't read the entire thread so, sorry if I missed something, but when you said caramelizing lactose I thought of this:

http://youtu.be/aWKvV54azWw?t=4m15s
Dulce de leche... basically you take milk and sugar and caramelize it. Sounds risky to do with the whole milk Alton uses here, in beer that is, so maybe skim milk would be superior? I wonder if the long cooking would un-ravel the proteins in the milk enough (and the baking soda) would help avoid curds in the beer. Thoughts?

Primary - 1 Gal JAOM, Belgian IPA, Pumpkin ale
Secondary - 5-way split Breakfast Imperial Stout, 2 Gal Traditional mead
Bottled - Kolsch, Pliny the Younger clone, Centennial Blonde, Alpine's Nelson clone, Apfelwein, QuicknDirty Cider
On deck - EdWort's Haus Pale

Old 09-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #50
bottlebomber
Recipes 

The thing if it is that the caramel made with table sugar is still going to be 100% fermentable - and thats what I was trying to get away from. Also by introducing actually dairy you have all of the volatile fats and oil along with whatever other solids are in the milk. I'd love to get actual cream into this if I thought I could get away with it. I don't think I could though, after reading the cheese beer thread.

Quick Reply