Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Has anyone tried caramelizing lactose?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012, 04:49 AM   #31
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2672 Times on 2078 Posts
Likes Given: 328

I wasn't planning on adding dairy to it. I'll probably use about a 1/2 cup of corn syrup and a few tablespoons of water. One thing I am very interested in is seeing how the sweetness is - lactose is around 1/5 as sweet as table sugar. That is fine, as my beer has stabilized at 1.025, which is plenty sweet to my taste for a big ol' stout. I'm going to do this on Wednesday. I will post pics.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 04:53 AM   #32
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber
I wasn't planning on adding dairy to it. I'll probably use about a 1/2 cup of corn syrup and a few tablespoons of water. One thing I am very interested in is seeing how the sweetness is - lactose is around 1/5 as sweet as table sugar. That is fine, as my beer has stabilized at 1.025, which is plenty sweet to my taste for a big ol' stout. I'm going to do this on Wednesday. I will post pics.
17% is the figure, so 1/6 Most of its use in beer is more to add body rather than sweetness, but most homebrewers don't seem to be very aware of that fact.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:58 AM   #33
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay

17% is the figure, so 1/6 Most of its use in beer is more to add body rather than sweetness, but most homebrewers don't seem to be very aware of that fact.
That's true, it is usually referenced for back sweetening etc but it doesn't really add much perceived sweetness. Like maltodextrine. I'm not trying to use it to increase sweetness, more for an aromatic quality which I am *hoping* it will provide. Splenda is probably a good non-fermentable sweetener but there's no way in heck I'm putting that crap in anything I would serve to a friend.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:26 PM   #34
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

For some reason I can't remember, I was looking up the Maillard reaction the other day and found some pertinent technical information. Yes the maillard reaction requires amino acids, but caramelization does not. There are two kinds of browning of sugars in cooking, one involving amino acids (maillard) and one that doesn't (caramelization)

I might try to caramelize some straight lactose myself. Sound's like a fun experiment. I caramelize sucrose for my Belgian dark strong.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 08-21-2012, 04:37 AM   #35
bottlebomber
Recipes 

So I got my stuff today, and I did it. I feel like it was a big success, and it basically accomplished just what I was after. I decided to sack up and use a dry caramel method. I don't know if that was the best idea, as this stuff behaves MUCH differently than table sugar when it is caramelizing. I had crystallization from hell because I was paranoid about burning it, and stirred about 10x more than I would have if I was making regular caramel. In the end I took it right to where I wanted it, just shy of burnt. One thing that I found very strange was that when sucrose is caramelized, it gets perceivably less sweet as it caramelizes. But with this lactose, it seemed the opposite. It tasted bland and chalky while dry, but rich and sweet when caramelized.
I am very happy with the experiment so far, now I just need to see if the flavor will hold up in the beer. When I was done I put about a pint of water back in, dissolved the caramel, chucked 3 Tahitian vanilla beans in and then put it into secondary and racked my brûlée stout onto it.

image-777420083.jpg   image-3759446899.jpg   image-3739468025.jpg   image-409034451.jpg  

Old 08-21-2012, 04:49 AM   #36
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

BTW, I got 2lbs of lactose for $4 at iHerb.com, if anyone is interested. It was some deal for new customers only.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:03 AM   #37
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay
BTW, I got 2lbs of lactose for $4 at iHerb.com, if anyone is interested. It was some deal for new customers only.
Heck yeah I'm interested! That's like 1/4 if what MoreBeer charges. I haven't checked out that site but I'll bet they had a lot of other things I need.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:08 AM   #38
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:

Heck yeah I'm interested! That's like 1/4 if what MoreBeer charges. I haven't checked out that site but I'll bet they had a lot of other things I need.
Trying to find the deal I used but I can't find it. I'll keep looking, though.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:14 AM   #39
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Quote:

Good grief... That's IP status right there. I guess I was a little excited.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:30 AM   #40
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Okay, found the deal, but it actually comes out to $4/lb for two pounds. So it's $8, because the shipping is $6 (though it's free if you spend more than $20). Still good, but without the shipping it'd be a *killer* deal at only $1/lb. You can also get only 1lb for just the cost of shipping ($6), but because 2lbs is the better deal, I'll explain it that way.

So... how to get 2lbs of high quality lactose to your door for $8:

1) Go to the following link: http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Healt...1-lb-454-g/657

2) Add 2 of them to your cart.

3) Use the coupon code BUY123 (gives $5 off your first order; $10 if you spend over $40)

4) ?????

5) Profit!

As I originally mentioned, the deal (actually a coupon) is only good for first time customers. Not quite as awesome as I originally thought - or even awesomER, depending on what you were expecting - but it's still by far the best price you'll find on lactose. Apparently I bought it just over a year and a half ago, so I doubt there's any urgent need to buy it before the coupon "expires".

Quick Reply