Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Harvesting Yeast from "Unfiltered" Primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2006, 03:08 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Harvesting Yeast from "Unfiltered" Primary

My standard practice when transferring my cooled wort from the kettle to primary is to pour it through a funnel/strainer, so that it catches the larger hops and break material. However, this past weekend, I brewed a stout that I added cherries and cranberries to. While my recipe was different, I still checked out Papazian's "Cherries In The Snow" recipe, and followed his directions regarding when to add fruit.

What this meant was that, right after flameout, I scooped out as much of the boiling hops as I could without being OCD...then, I added the finishing hop pellets and the fruit while it was still hot, so that they would sanitize. I then cooled, poured the whole thing into my big bucket, and pitched.

My question, though, is: I used some harvested Wyeast London ESB yeast; this is only the second time with this strain. I love this yeast, it flucculates really well and produces very clear beer. So I'd like to harvest it at least 2 more times. But, I worry with this batch, because it wasn't properly strained like I usually do. Not to mention all the gunk from the finishing hops that I put directly into the wort.

So, do you think there's any point in harvesting this batch? Or should I just give up on it? I know that I can usually separate out much of the trub through the standard yeast harvesting practices, but I'm not sure if that will work as well with all this gunk in my primary.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2006, 03:41 PM   #2
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

There's only one way to find out...go ahead and go through your yeast-washing procedure. You should be able to tell visually whether you've been able to seperate the yeast slurry off the trub sufficiently. If not, just toss it.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 12-13-2006, 12:12 AM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts

Just wash it good and it'll come out clean.

Sometimes I'll use the usual washing procedures then if the liquid is a bit dark I'll re-wash it until it's just very light colored water (indicating some beer is in the mix). Then I'll pour off most of the liquid and seperate into baby food jars for several batches of yeast.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:12 AM   #4
AdIn

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would not try to harvest yeast after some high gravity/alcogol beer fermentation. Yeast is not very strong after extreem fermentations and better not used for something else.

Non-alcoholic beer is a first step to a rubber woman

Old 12-13-2006, 01:44 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdIn
I would not try to harvest yeast after some high gravity/alcogol beer fermentation. Yeast is not very strong after extreem fermentations and better not used for something else.
Well, the stout in question isn't very high grav.

I do plan on harvesting the Pacman from the Winter Ale that's fermenting right now, though. Its OG was around 1.075. But Pacman is a resilient yeast---Rogue does PLENTY of high-grav beers, and Maier says he reuses his yeast 6 times. I'll just be sure to add yeast nutrients to the starter, and they'll be fine.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 12-15-2006, 12:15 AM   #6
Sir Sudster

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Evan, go with HB Bill's suggestion. BTW , I love that yeast too!

Old 12-15-2006, 01:27 PM   #7
Evan!

Recipes 

My main worry right now is those damned cherry pits. They'll most assuredly be polluting my trub. I might have to filter the trub through a sanitized large-holed strainer.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Quick Reply