Im after authentic Coopers Sparkling Ale. Since its bottle conditioned, Im planning on harvest some yeast from the bottle. Ive never done this before.
Some friend and I will drink a 6-pack of Coopers Ale. We will poor most of the beer into glasses and dump the rest (~1/12) into a starter container. Using saran wrap and keeping a good sterile work environment of course. Later that night, Im going to cook up a starter, add it to the collective bottom beer and let it run for about 3 days.
Is it that easy or Im I missing something?
Since Im posting, here is the recipe Im going to use:
Credit BYO: http://byo.com/recipe/695.html
Coopers Sparkling Ale
(5 gallons, extract with grains)
* 6 lbs. Coopers light unhopped malt extract
* 0.50 lb. crystal malt (60° Lovibond)
* 1 lb. Belgian candi sugar (white)
* 4.75 AAUs Pride of Ringwood pellet hops (1/3 oz. at 9.5% alpha acid)
* 4.75 AAUs Pride of Ringwood pellet hops (1/2 oz. at 9.5% alpha acid)
* 4.75 AAUs Pride of Ringwood pellet hops (1/2 oz. of 9.5% alpha acid)
* 1 tsp. Irish moss
* 1 cup corn sugar to prime
* Yeast culture from two bottles of sparkling ale or Coopers Homebrew Yeast or YeastLabs A01 (Coopers Ale Yeast)
* 7/8 to 1 cup corn sugar to prime