The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Harvesting yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2007, 11:46 PM   #21
Drunkagain
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

As long as we are talking about this, I've seen another poster, Ed Wort I think, talk about just making one big starter and then splitting it into three or four seperate starters and saving that. That seems much easier.

If the original poster reads this, would you mind clarifying your process a bit? How do you store your split up starter and do you need to make another starter when you go to use one of them?

Thanks.

-JohnE

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2007, 01:05 PM   #22
IDbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I use a 2000ml Erlenmeyer flask to make a about a half gallon starter and pitch my original White Labs tube. When that has fermented out I sanitize six or seven 12 oz bottles and caps. Then I swirl the starter until all the yeast is in suspension, and use a lighter to flame the neck of the flask for sanitation. Using a sanitized funnel I pour the original starter into the bottles and cap them. I keep the bottles in the fridge and then make a starter as normal prior to brewing. I have read that this saved yeast should last 6 months or more in the fridge.
The benefit to this (other than the cost savings) is that it is presumibly more sanitary than repitching several times onto the yeast cake. I have used this technique on about a dozen different batches with outstanding results. As a quality control I even used a fresh WLP001 vial with a starter, and then one of my saved bottles of WLP001 with a starter in a split 10 gallon batch and there was no difference at all in taste between the two.

Here is a better explanation
http://hbd.org/brewery/library/yeast-faq.html#part_four

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply