New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Harvesting yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2007, 07:52 PM   #11
cheezydemon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I hope you did not take offense to my squirrel comment! I see that you are now a guy about to be ill........also an odd choice, but that is OK.

I would just say again that after you go to all of the trouble you still have the same yeast that you used for your last batch. If that is OK, then you are presumeably doing the same style and you might as well have pitched on your cake, unless you do not have the space or do not want another batch that quick.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2007, 08:12 PM   #12
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon
I hope you did not take offense to my squirrel comment! I see that you are now a guy about to be ill........also an odd choice, but that is OK.

I would just say again that after you go to all of the trouble you still have the same yeast that you used for your last batch. If that is OK, then you are presumeably doing the same style and you might as well have pitched on your cake, unless you do not have the space or do not want another batch that quick.
That is Joey Chestnut...bringing the speed hotdog eating championship back to America!!

I agree it is a lot of trouble if you are going to turn around and use that same yeast again.

I only have room in my fermenting fridge to do one beer at a time and I am at the stage in brewing where I want to try different varieties so I wouldn't be pitching on a yeast cake...that is where I am coming from.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:20 PM   #13
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 46 Posts

I brew ALOT of Heffe... I save and wash my yeast, then store it in the fridge in White Labs vials. I have gotten (4) brews from one vial of WLP300... it isnt that hard to wash it and save it. If your time is worth more than $6 an hour, then why do you brew at all, it is alot faster to go to the store and buy a couple cases of BMC... am I right? Perhaps people save yeast not just to save $$, but because they enjoy making the hobby more hands on... just like the difference between doing extract brews and AG... it isnt about saving time or money, it is about delving deeper into the hobby.

Peace

Pol

Old 07-09-2007, 08:23 PM   #14
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol
I brew ALOT of Heffe... I save and wash my yeast, then store it in the fridge in White Labs vials. I have gotten (4) brews from one vial of WLP300... it isnt that hard to wash it and save it. If your time is worth more than $6 an hour, then why do you brew at all, it is alot faster to go to the store and buy a couple cases of BMC... am I right? Perhaps people save yeast not just to save $$, but because they enjoy making the hobby more hands on... just like the difference between doing extract brews and AG... it isnt about saving time or money, it is about delving deeper into the hobby.

Peace

Pol
I just like opening my fridge and seeing yeast!!

I also made a hefeweizen with WLP300....saved three vials of yeast...they have compacted but it looks like each has about 40mL of yeast...will be making another hefeweizen soon!

Old 07-09-2007, 10:19 PM   #15
The Pol
Recipes 

Sweet, I have alot of ppl hooked on my Pols Hugh Heffe... mmmm tasty! I have two FULL vials of WLP300 in the fridge... I love yeast

Old 07-09-2007, 10:28 PM   #16
max-the-knife
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all your input. Pol has me figured out, I am looking to be more hands on and I'm not adverse to saving money. Presently, I'm an extract brewer with my goal to eventually become AG.

Thanks everyone.

SECONDARY #1: empty
SECONDARY #2:
empty
KEGGED: American Lite Lager
FUTURE PROJECTS:[/
COLOR] IPA, Bock , Black Lager

Old 07-09-2007, 10:39 PM   #17
The Pol
Recipes 

I can delve deep into the mind of the homebrewer... ahhhh yesssss

Old 07-10-2007, 08:58 PM   #18
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol

Peace

Pol
Good enough! I have small children, so the extra trouble with my limited time makes little sense, but everyone's situation is different.
When I decide to do that, I will probably figure out how the labs keep this stuff going indefinitely, and get the equipment to do that! Imagine an endless supply of your favorite 3 or 4 strains! But for now I have not got the time. Peace to you also.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:49 PM   #19
The Pol
Recipes 

My daughter is 4, she is a good yeast harvestor...

Old 07-10-2007, 11:40 PM   #20
Drunkagain
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific
A whole 20 minutes to wash the yeast, plus not having to use dme to make new starter, plus the cost of more yeast and ice to ship...comes out to $8-9 plus a little time...worth it to me.
So you don't need to make another starter when you reuse the yeast you've washed? That would be pretty cool and add up to some nice savings.

-JohnE

Quick Reply