Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Harvesting Spotted Cow yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2009, 04:53 PM   #21
mthompson
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonbrown View Post
Personally, I don't think cascades are right at all. They have such a distinct characteristic and scent, and it's just not Spotted Cow material.
What would be a better choice? The LHBS doesn't have a very large selection....I wanted to use Hallertau and Saaz, but that was a no go. And the guys at the store weren't much help....

Thanks,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2009, 09:56 PM   #22
jacksonbrown
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Like I said, I've never tried brewing a clone. I start off with one of the recipes already listed in this thread and try improving it from there. Or if not the full recipe then at least the hops and hop schedule. And please let us know how it turns out.

Primary: German Alt
Bottled: Kolch, German Hefeweizen
On tap: 60/- Light Scottish Ale

Old 02-26-2009, 10:35 PM   #23
mthompson
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonbrown View Post
I start off with one of the recipes already listed in this thread and try improving it from there.
I took a few different recipes which people had on the internet, and looked at what the LHBS had, and came out with the recipe I listed above....including the wrong hops. I am only using 1oz., and according to a few different calculations should result in IBU~16-19. I was shooting for ~17, which might be high for Spotted Cow....but it's a middle of the road starting point of reference for future tweaking.

I will update you on my results. I plan on working out a decent clone over the next few batches. This will be my first true partial mash (not steeping), and my first non-kit beer, so hopefully it turns out half-way decent.

Thanks again,

Old 02-27-2009, 03:23 AM   #24
Braid
Recipes 

I'm still a rookie at this, but is it possible that the beer was in fac bottle conditioned with live yeast cells and then pasturized to kill the yeast and stop fermentation?

Old 09-12-2009, 06:58 AM   #25
mthompson
Recipes 

Hey guys,

Sorry about the delayed response. I brewed the above beer and noted most (I may have missed small details....) of the day on Kaiser's log book pages.

I used 100% charcoal filtered tap water, >100ppm total hardness and ~100ppm alkalinity (based on my fish test kits).

Ingredients:
3.3 lb pilsner LME
1.5 lb flaked maize
1.0 lb flaked barley
1.0 lb US 2-row pale malt
1.0 lb Gold DME
0.5 lb Crystal 40L

mini-mashed the grains at 2 qt/lb and 155ºF on an electric element stove for 60min. (actual average over the 60 minutes was 152ºF)

Hop schedule:
0.50 oz Cascade(AA-7.4%) 60min
0.25 oz Cascade(AA-7.4%) 30min
0.25 oz Cascade(AA-7.4%) 5min

My pre-boil volume was 4gal and lost 0.7gal. IBU was calculated at 21.1IBU for an average boil volume of 3.75. After flameout (1hr 45min after ignition), the wort was chilled to 72ºF in 13min and dumped in to a 6.5gal bucket and brought to 5 gal with filtered tap water. The wort was aerated by the 'knee-rocking' method, and afterward the O.G. reading was 1.052 at 68.3ºF.

A yeast starter was made two days prior to brewing using 1/3cup light DME boiled 10min in 800mL filtered tap water. One vial of White Labs cream ale (WLP080) was pitched to the started and allowed to ferment for 36 hr. After cold-crashing in the refrigerator at 37.5ºF for several hours, a 150mL slurry was left after decanting off the top portion. This slurry was pitched into the 68.3ºF wort at 11:27am and fermentation was confirmed via the blow-off tube bubbling away at 8:51pm. Fermentation activity was noticeably reduced three days later.

After 19d in the primary, I had some issues with gravity measurements....and a "few more days" turned into leaving the beer in the bucket for ~7wks total. I didn't write down bottling dates or anything (that I can find, and yes I know that Kaiser has a section for ages and comments and such), but it fermented out to 1.010 and I bottled with one package of priming sugar.

The beer turned out good and it only lasted a few weeks (mostly my fault, ), but it was not exactly Spotted Cow. I did a side-by-side about 2 months ago with my last bottle of the clone and a Spotted Cow that I saved since late March (next to each other). The Spotted Cow had a little more mouth feel than mine, but overall they were very close with similar creamy smooth finishes. Colors were also very close, with the Spotted Cow being just a bit more clear, but dead even on shade. The hops were definitely different and mine had more flavor/aroma hops coming through, but not much more in bitterness. Surprising because my version was estimated at 21.1 IBU, and Spotted Cow I figured would be way less. I am thinking that the long primary and 4 month bottle conditioning may have mellowed out the hops a bit.

Overall, this was a very decent beer. Everyone that drank one said it was good (maybe they were being nice), but I found myself soon wanting a third every time I cracked one open. My next batch will probably be AG, and I will do my damnedest to get a closer hop replica and try a Kölsch yeast at around 60ºF.

Let me know if you have any questions,

MT

p.s. - sorry for all the details, but some might find it useful.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:46 PM   #26
Beer Please
Recipes 

Sorry to revive an old thread but any updates on this Cow clone?

Old 07-19-2010, 10:06 PM   #27
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 11

There has been more recent activity here:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/spot...rewtalk-80344/

I haven't brewed my recipes yet, but others have reported good results.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:44 AM   #28
ThreeDogsNE
Good for what ales you
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I took the tour at New Glarus last month. I was passing through, and they were a brewery not far from my path. I was not paying close attention, as they don't distribute in Nebraska where I live. The brewer who gave the tour mentioned their proprietary yeast strain that is kept for them at the University of Wisconsin. He also talked about pasteurizing their beers, and then putting it through a centrifugation process for clarification. It sounded more like a whirlpool process, the way he described it. He also mentioned that some beer bypasses the centrifuge to add back the proper sediment. He did not mention bypassing pasteurization. After that tour I'm not surprised to see others speak of limited success in culturing their yeast. In reading the bottles I brought back (still full, tonight), they pay homage to cask condition, but don't outright say that it is bottle conditioned. Their words:

"Cask conditioned ale has been the popular choice among brews since long before prohibition. We continue this pioneer spirit with out Wisconsin farmhouse ale. Brewed with flaked barley and the finest Wisconsin malts. We even give a nod to our farmers with a little hint of corn. Naturally cloudy, we allow the yeast to remain in the bottle to enhance fullness of flavors which cannot be duplicated otherwise..."

What it does not say is bottle conditioned, refermented in the bottle, live yeast, or similar verbiage. Clever wording. Madison Avenue would be proud.

It's a beautiful brewery, made to look like an European castle or chateau. They also took the tops off of some old copper mash tuns or brew kettles to sit over the top of their stainless steel tanks to enhance that appearance. However, appearances, like words, can be deceiving. I also toured Capital Brewery the same day, where they actually use a copper tun and kettle. Looking through the door of the kettle, the difference was apparent.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:58 AM   #29
MetallHed
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 44

the only new glarus beer that I have noticed was bottle carbed was their organic revolution. When I had that beer it looked like sand floating in the beer.... definately sediment...

My Fermentation Chiller Steel Horse Brew Labels

Old 07-20-2010, 02:51 PM   #30
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDogsNE View Post
The brewer who gave the tour mentioned their proprietary yeast strain that is kept for them at the University of Wisconsin.
This is interesting to me. Perhaps I was misinformed or they have changed there yeast. Either way I am sure it is a similar strain.

Quick Reply