Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Harvest yeast from bottle-conditioned commercial brews?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2008, 02:52 PM   #1
bsay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Harvest yeast from bottle-conditioned commercial brews?

What are the chances that I could culture a good starter of yeast from the sediment of a Boulevard wheat (or any other brand, for that matter)? Would this yeast even be the actual Boulevard fermentation yeast, or some that they use during bottling just for conditioning? One of the books I have has a section about harvesting yeast, and the procedure, I just want to know if it is actually feasible. Thanks!

Check out my Homebrewery Virtual Tour!

Who says you can't brew all-grain indoors?
Brewing 2.5 gal batches with a 2gal cooler MLT in my cramped apartment. Pictures coming soon!

Ask me about my Keezer/2.5 gal brew setup!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2008, 02:58 PM   #2
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I know some folks around here have done that, but I couldn't tell you if you'll be getting the fermentation yeast or just the conditioning yeast. If you do try it, do it from a few bottles. It's worth a shot.

--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 08-21-2008, 03:43 PM   #3
bsay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am hoping to pitch my Wheat beer with yeast from the Boulevard Wheat, but I will keep some dry as backup. I'll post how it turns out (maybe even take pictures for a how-to).

Check out my Homebrewery Virtual Tour!

Who says you can't brew all-grain indoors?
Brewing 2.5 gal batches with a 2gal cooler MLT in my cramped apartment. Pictures coming soon!

Ask me about my Keezer/2.5 gal brew setup!

Old 08-21-2008, 05:32 PM   #4
Frost
Recipes 

There was a post I read a while back where people were trying to make beer from everyday grocery store products. I can't remember exactly what it's called but I know they covered using commercial beer yeast sediment. Maybe someone else can remember the name of the post. Good luck!

Old 08-21-2008, 06:03 PM   #5
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

I'll let you know how my Saison comes out. I used a compo off Hennepin and Dupont yeast taken from the bottle. I tasted the starter and it had the tones of a Saison citrus and a little peppery flavor

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 08-21-2008, 06:07 PM   #6
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

http://www.nada.kth.se/~alun/Beer/Bottle-Yeasts/ this should be a good start on what yeasts are good to use, what they are. I've cultured yeast from a hoegaarden, and a saison dupont, both with good results.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 08-21-2008, 06:10 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

There a bunch of threads on here about it...Use the search function and look up "Bottle Harvesting Pacman" Or "Pacman Yeast" a few months back a bunch of us were doing it at the same time...SOmeone even posted a video tutorial about it IIRC.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-21-2008, 07:53 PM   #8
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You can always try it and see what happens with the starter. If the starter has the same aroma and flavor characteristics as the beer, you're good to go. If it doesn't you are out a few ounces of DME.

I'm thinking of trying this with the bottle of Westmalle I have in the fridge just for the heck of it, I'm not planning to use the yeast, I just want to practice the technique.

It wouldn't hurt to contact the brewery and ask them if there is live yeast in the bottles and if so, if it is the primary strain. I've heard some breweries will even give out recipes to homebrewers who ask! Your mileage will vary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 08-21-2008, 08:51 PM   #9
Natas
Recipes 

I culture up yeast and bugs out of commercial beers all the time. Mostly Belgian stuff, but I've never had any problems. For the most part Belgian bottle conditioned beers use the same yeast as in fermentation.
As for US bottle conditioned, there are several breweries I've run into that have this "propriatery" thing going on and use a conditioning strain.
As for a wheat beer, I would think that it would be the fermentation yeast because of the character that the yeast plays in the role of the overall flavor of the beer.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:35 PM   #10
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The first thing I would do is email the brewers at Boulevard. Ask them two things: 1. What kind of yeast do you use in your wheat? There's a good chance they just use a yeast you can buy. 2. Ask them if they bottle condition with a different yeast.

Most brewers will give up this information easily if you tell them you are a homebrewer.

Quick Reply