Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Hard Cider Wheat Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2008, 12:45 AM   #11
Jack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwmgdman
Since my buddy is wanting to use a batch a cider that he felt is a little weak in both ABV and apple taste, we're going to go with a 50/50 blend
Hey! You live in Madison, too!

If you want an independent review of this, let me know...

But seriously... if you want to reduce the apple flavor, make the cider with champagne yeast. It leaves a pleasant after-taste of apple, but doesn't have the apple flavor you expect upfront. Could be fun to experiment with...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2008, 04:45 PM   #12
uwmgdman

Recipes 

I blended the hard cider and american wheat (50/50) yesterday. The batch of cider my buddy wanted to blend was one that he was a little disappointed with strength both ABV and apple flavor (had it been stronger in those departments we may have gone higher with the beer and less with the cider). The FG on my american wheat was lower than I wanted, 1.007 and the cider FG was 0.998. The blend was 1.002.

The aroma of the blend was more of the beer, the flavor was good, a lot of the cider, but the beer flavor was definitely evident and did a good job of giving a bit more mouthfeel and definitely sweetened up the finish some, took away dry wine-like finish.

I'm going to let these things age for a couple weeks and then bottle. I'll post results when they're ready. But so far seemingly so good.

I did have some concern that remaining champagne yeast that he fermented the cider with would start working on the beer, but as of this morning that hasn't happened. That cider was a few months old and been racked twice so I think most of the yeast had settled out. There was plenty of yeast still in suspension of the beer (Wyeast 1007) so carbonation won't be a problem.

Drinking: 2013 Maker's Mark Bourbon Barrel Stout, Palate Assaulted Again Black IPA and Kaiser Alt Zwei

Last edited by uwmgdman; 04-28-2008 at 04:54 PM.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:53 PM   #13
uwmgdman

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k
Since your in Wisconsin, see if you can get your hands on some Liney's apple spice. I think it's cider and beer mixed.
I've tried it. It's wasn't too bad. This stuff is definitely different. I'm thinking it will be a great hot weather beverage.

Drinking: 2013 Maker's Mark Bourbon Barrel Stout, Palate Assaulted Again Black IPA and Kaiser Alt Zwei

Old 05-24-2008, 12:40 AM   #14
uwmgdman

Recipes 

An update on this experiment. The beer/cider is now carbonated in the bottles and this is something IMO will be best drank fresh, so I'll post a review now.

It's not my favorite, it's rather crisp and fairly tart, as expected. I really don't so much care for the flavor. The flavor is mainly tartness with a some apple and the wheat beer comes through more at the finish.

I hope others enjoy it more than I do. I'll post if others enjoy it more than I.

If I did it again I'll go more beer, less cider.

Just wanted to update.

Quick Reply