Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Guide to Making a Frozen Yeast Bank

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #711
funnycreature
Beer Crafter, Metalhead \m/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 485

Quote:
Originally Posted by jah777 View Post
I froze some yeast a few months ago with about 20% glycerin per vial but I now notice that ice crystals have formed in some of the vials. Should I still try to use these or toss them?
You won't know until you try! I'd do a "dummy" starter that you don't need for anything. If there's any yeast left it'll grow eventually.

Check out my wife's etsy store where she offers soaps made with my beer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 02:57 AM   #712
anico4704
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I also asked some of these on Brewitts article but I will report back my findings on both when I get suggestions. I have a few questions:

1.I read through many of these posts and the consensus seems to be that the glycerin has to be sterilized in the pressure cooker correct?

2.Also, it seems that the vials also need to be sterilized. How are some people using the preform bottles if this is the case? Aren't those just plastic, or are you just sanitizing those with Star San?

3.When freezing, are the ice packs ok to be wrapped around the cooler walls, or do they need to be in direct contact with the vials? I was thinking a styrofoam cooler with the alcohol ice cold packs taped to the walls, unless the have to be in direct contact with the vials?

Thanks!

Old 07-26-2013, 02:18 PM   #713
mredge73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 30 Posts

1&2; The Glycerin solution is sterilized in a pressure cooker with the vial. Most vials used are glass, some are heat resistant poly-carbonate.

I used canning jars; 1/2 pint jelly jars work great, available everywhere, and are cheap.
Solution is mixed in jar. Jar is sterilized in pressure cooker. Jar and solution remains sterilized until I open the cap to add yeast.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:20 AM   #714
Brewzologist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

A big thank you to FlyGuy! What follows is proof the methods he posted to freeze yeast works:

I took a new vial of White Labs Kolsch yeast, WLP029 with an original best-by date of 7/3/2012 and froze it on 4/6/2012, storing it inside a small cooler with ice packs inside a top freezer/fridge. I moved 2000 miles across the country in the fall of 2012 with this, and other yeast strains, packed in dry ice. In February 2013 my fridge broke and it was only the small cooler with ice packs that protected the yeast for about 8 hours before I was able to transfer it to a working fridge. My point is; this yeast has been subject to variations in temperature.

I used 16ml vials and filled them with 7ml of settled yeast, then added 6ml of 50/50 water/glycerin. This left 3ml of head space in each vial, and by my calculation is 23% glycerol. I used Walmart USP glycerin from the cosmetics aisle, and meticulous sterile technique with a pressure cooker, etc described in this thread, at home.

In early-July 2013 I removed a vial of this Kolsch yeast from the fridge and stepped it up a number of times. I started with a 150ml 1.020 starter, the 250, 500 and 1L starters at 1.040. In between each starter I put the yeast into the fridge to settle, then decanted the spent wort and added more each time. My starters were done on a stir plate.

Last week I took the final settled yeast and stepped it up again using a 1.5L starter at 1.040. Then on brew day I made a 500ml starter and pitched the entire starter into my 7.5 gallon batch of wort after about 12 hours on the stir plate. The OG from my refractometer was 1.054 and tonight after 6 days of fermenting I took a sample and it was at my FG target of 1.009. The beer tastes good too, albeit flat.

In short, I can say that 7ml of Kolsch yeast frozen for 15 months in a regular consumer fridge with 23% glycerol solution was successfully used to brew a 7.5 gallon batch of beer. Tonight I'm taking a vial of Denny's Favorite 50 (Wyeast 1450), that was frozen in 4/2012, and will attempt to bring it back to life too. I'll post my results with the 1450 when my next batch of beer has fermented out.

Thanks again FlyGuy!

Old 08-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #715
guldalian
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCO2
A big thank you to FlyGuy! What follows is proof the methods he posted to freeze yeast works:

I took a new vial of White Labs Kolsch yeast, WLP029 with an original best-by date of 7/3/2012 and froze it on 4/6/2012, storing it inside a small cooler with ice packs inside a top freezer/fridge. I moved 2000 miles across the country in the fall of 2012 with this, and other yeast strains, packed in dry ice. In February 2013 my fridge broke and it was only the small cooler with ice packs that protected the yeast for about 8 hours before I was able to transfer it to a working fridge. My point is; this yeast has been subject to variations in temperature.

I used 16ml vials and filled them with 7ml of settled yeast, then added 6ml of 50/50 water/glycerin. This left 3ml of head space in each vial, and by my calculation is 23% glycerol. I used Walmart USP glycerin from the cosmetics aisle, and meticulous sterile technique with a pressure cooker, etc described in this thread, at home.

In early-July 2013 I removed a vial of this Kolsch yeast from the fridge and stepped it up a number of times. I started with a 150ml 1.020 starter, the 250, 500 and 1L starters at 1.040. In between each starter I put the yeast into the fridge to settle, then decanted the spent wort and added more each time. My starters were done on a stir plate.

Last week I took the final settled yeast and stepped it up again using a 1.5L starter at 1.040. Then on brew day I made a 500ml starter and pitched the entire starter into my 7.5 gallon batch of wort after about 12 hours on the stir plate. The OG from my refractometer was 1.054 and tonight after 6 days of fermenting I took a sample and it was at my FG target of 1.009. The beer tastes good too, albeit flat.

In short, I can say that 7ml of Kolsch yeast frozen for 15 months in a regular consumer fridge with 23% glycerol solution was successfully used to brew a 7.5 gallon batch of beer. Tonight I'm taking a vial of Denny's Favorite 50 (Wyeast 1450), that was frozen in 4/2012, and will attempt to bring it back to life too. I'll post my results with the 1450 when my next batch of beer has fermented out.

Thanks again FlyGuy!
Only problem with this is you spend more on starter ingredients than you would on a fresh pack of yeast.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #716
Brewzologist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guldalian View Post
Only problem with this is you spend more on starter ingredients than you would on a fresh pack of yeast.
As for the initial cost of the hardware to make the frozen yeast bank, on that you've got me!

But for making a batch of beer it's not cheaper to buy yeast in my case. I don't live within reasonable driving distance of a LHBS, so I end up paying to have my yeast shipped FedEx in a cold container. (That or they don't have the strains I want..) Also, I buy bulk DME so stepping up small starters is a negligible cost, and I'd be making a starter or two anyway even with a fresh pack of yeast.

P.S. FYI; The Dennys Fav 50 is currently growing on a stir plate from a 15 mos. old frozen vial for my next batch of beer.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #717
mredge73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by guldalian View Post
Yea; but that isn't the point though.
This thread expands on the hobby by encouraging you to dabble in a bit of microbiology for the greater good. This is a hobby and a hobby is a money/time sink.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #718
mredge73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jah777 View Post
I froze some yeast a few months ago with about 20% glycerin per vial but I now notice that ice crystals have formed in some of the vials. Should I still try to use these or toss them?
I do 20-25% and they freeze solid.
I have been able to restart 18 month old yeast after a few days of incremental starters. No need to toss them.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #719
guldalian
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredge73

Yea; but that isn't the point though.
This thread expands on the hobby by encouraging you to dabble in a bit of microbiology for the greater good. This is a hobby and a hobby is a money/time sink.
This is true. Not saying you shouldn't do it. I have yeast in my fridge/freezer. Just saying maybe try to start out with larger volumes and cut down on starter steps. For me the more $ I save in any area of brewing is the more I can brew.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:54 AM   #720
suprchunk
I'm in OT now!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCO2 View Post

In short, I can say that 7ml of Kolsch yeast frozen for 15 months in a regular consumer fridge with 23% glycerol solution was successfully used to brew a 7.5 gallon batch of beer.
Glad to hear that.

But, I've also had success with rinsed yeast straight from the fridge far older than that.

Quick Reply