Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Guide to Making a Frozen Yeast Bank

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #701
bja
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwapogorilla View Post
I just tried this....it isn't working for me. I am staring at a 1 quart starter that I made 24 hours ago. Absolutely NO activity in it at all.
Maybe 24 hours isn't long enough.

BTW, what exactly did you try to do?

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #702
gwapogorilla
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja View Post
Maybe 24 hours isn't long enough.

BTW, what exactly did you try to do?
I washed yeast from primary ferm tank....washed it very good so I ended with 3/4 cup of THICK yeast(after it settled in the fridge for a few days).
I boiled all of my vials (8 dram glass vials from amazon), caps and tools for 10 minutes and also dunked everything in star-san as I used them.

I boiled 30 ml of glycerin and 70 ml of water together, then cooled them to 70*F. I filled a sanitized measuring glass to 40 ml with the yeast sludge, then added another 40 ml of the glycerin/water solution.(50% yeast...15% glycerin...35% water total) I stirred together and then filled my vials...almost full. Capped them closed(tight) and put them in a freezer(deep freeze NOT frost free).

After only 3 days in the freezer, I put in the fridge for 2 days to thaw out. Then into a 70*F starter with a gravity of 1.038(32 oz volume). Starter NOT on a stir plate...just a jar with wort in it. I am starring at the starter now...2 days no activity. When I try to shake it up, the yeast settle straight to the bottom in record time.

Any ideas?

Old 05-16-2013, 04:07 AM   #703
StMarcos
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwapogorilla View Post
I washed yeast from primary ferm tank....washed it very good so I ended with 3/4 cup of THICK yeast(after it settled in the fridge for a few days).
I boiled all of my vials (8 dram glass vials from amazon), caps and tools for 10 minutes and also dunked everything in star-san as I used them.

I boiled 30 ml of glycerin and 70 ml of water together, then cooled them to 70*F. I filled a sanitized measuring glass to 40 ml with the yeast sludge, then added another 40 ml of the glycerin/water solution.(50% yeast...15% glycerin...35% water total) I stirred together and then filled my vials...almost full. Capped them closed(tight) and put them in a freezer(deep freeze NOT frost free).

After only 3 days in the freezer, I put in the fridge for 2 days to thaw out. Then into a 70*F starter with a gravity of 1.038(32 oz volume). Starter NOT on a stir plate...just a jar with wort in it. I am starring at the starter now...2 days no activity. When I try to shake it up, the yeast settle straight to the bottom in record time.

Any ideas?
Try the fridge treatment before putting them in the freezer. Warm up in 80degF bath and pitch immediately.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #704
funnycreature
Beer Crafter, Metalhead \m/

Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 487

Does anyone have experience with freezing yeast blends? I have been freezing all my yeast strains so far but I'm interested in trying the WLP080 Cream Ale Blend. I'm just worried that with a starter to grow the yeast I will select for one or the other strains thus changing the flavor profile.

Check out my wife's etsy store where she offers soaps made with my beer!

Old 06-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #705
StMarcos
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had poor luck freezing yeast, but I now know I used too much glycerin (40+%) and I chucked the vials immediately into a -20 box. Interested to start experimenting again....

Old 06-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #706
bja
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnycreature View Post
Does anyone have experience with freezing yeast blends? I have been freezing all my yeast strains so far but I'm interested in trying the WLP080 Cream Ale Blend. I'm just worried that with a starter to grow the yeast I will select for one or the other strains thus changing the flavor profile.
How would you do that?

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Old 06-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #707
funnycreature

Recipes 

Quote:
How would you do that?
Do what? If you mean how I would select for one strain over the other, that's nothing I'd do on purpose; it's just survival of the fittest Let's say I incubate the starter at ambient temperature, which is in the high 70s right now. If the ale strain in the blend grows better at these temps than the lager strain the former will simply outgrow the latter. If I then use this starter culture for freezing I already have a blend that's of a different composition compared to the original. The only way to do this right would be to find out which strains are in the blend, grow both independently, and then mix them in the right ratio before pitching.

Now if that wasn't your question then I apologize for the lengthy reply

Old 06-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #708
bja
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnycreature View Post
Let's say I incubate the starter at ambient temperature, which is in the high 70s right now. If the ale strain in the blend grows better at these temps than the lager strain the former will simply outgrow the latter. If I then use this starter culture for freezing I already have a blend that's of a different composition compared to the original. The only way to do this right would be to find out which strains are in the blend, grow both independently, and then mix them in the right ratio before pitching.
Why would the ale yeast grow better than the lager yeast at such warm temps?

Old 06-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #709
funnycreature

Recipes 

Quote:
Why would the ale yeast grow better than the lager yeast at such warm temps?
I didn't say it does. It's just something that I'm afraid might happen. I'm not a yeast expert and my fears might be completely unjustified.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #710
jah777
Recipes 

I froze some yeast a few months ago with about 20% glycerin per vial but I now notice that ice crystals have formed in some of the vials. Should I still try to use these or toss them?

Quick Reply