Originally Posted by bja
Maybe 24 hours isn't long enough.
BTW, what exactly did you try to do?
I washed yeast from primary ferm tank....washed it very good so I ended with 3/4 cup of THICK yeast(after it settled in the fridge for a few days).
I boiled all of my vials (8 dram glass vials from amazon), caps and tools for 10 minutes and also dunked everything in star-san as I used them.
I boiled 30 ml of glycerin and 70 ml of water together, then cooled them to 70*F. I filled a sanitized measuring glass to 40 ml with the yeast sludge, then added another 40 ml of the glycerin/water solution.(50% yeast...15% glycerin...35% water total) I stirred together and then filled my vials...almost full. Capped them closed(tight) and put them in a freezer(deep freeze NOT frost free).
After only 3 days in the freezer, I put in the fridge for 2 days to thaw out. Then into a 70*F starter with a gravity of 1.038(32 oz volume). Starter NOT on a stir plate...just a jar with wort in it. I am starring at the starter now...2 days no activity. When I try to shake it up, the yeast settle straight to the bottom in record time.