Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Guide to Making a Frozen Yeast Bank

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #701
bja
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,756
Liked 90 Times on 72 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwapogorilla View Post
I just tried this....it isn't working for me. I am staring at a 1 quart starter that I made 24 hours ago. Absolutely NO activity in it at all.
Maybe 24 hours isn't long enough.

BTW, what exactly did you try to do?
__________________

____________________________________________

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

bja is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #702
gwapogorilla
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
gwapogorilla's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: , Jackson County, Iowa
Posts: 363
Liked 43 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja View Post
Maybe 24 hours isn't long enough.

BTW, what exactly did you try to do?
I washed yeast from primary ferm tank....washed it very good so I ended with 3/4 cup of THICK yeast(after it settled in the fridge for a few days).
I boiled all of my vials (8 dram glass vials from amazon), caps and tools for 10 minutes and also dunked everything in star-san as I used them.

I boiled 30 ml of glycerin and 70 ml of water together, then cooled them to 70*F. I filled a sanitized measuring glass to 40 ml with the yeast sludge, then added another 40 ml of the glycerin/water solution.(50% yeast...15% glycerin...35% water total) I stirred together and then filled my vials...almost full. Capped them closed(tight) and put them in a freezer(deep freeze NOT frost free).

After only 3 days in the freezer, I put in the fridge for 2 days to thaw out. Then into a 70*F starter with a gravity of 1.038(32 oz volume). Starter NOT on a stir plate...just a jar with wort in it. I am starring at the starter now...2 days no activity. When I try to shake it up, the yeast settle straight to the bottom in record time.

Any ideas?
__________________
gwapogorilla is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 04:07 AM   #703
StMarcos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sebastopol, CA
Posts: 947
Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwapogorilla View Post
I washed yeast from primary ferm tank....washed it very good so I ended with 3/4 cup of THICK yeast(after it settled in the fridge for a few days).
I boiled all of my vials (8 dram glass vials from amazon), caps and tools for 10 minutes and also dunked everything in star-san as I used them.

I boiled 30 ml of glycerin and 70 ml of water together, then cooled them to 70*F. I filled a sanitized measuring glass to 40 ml with the yeast sludge, then added another 40 ml of the glycerin/water solution.(50% yeast...15% glycerin...35% water total) I stirred together and then filled my vials...almost full. Capped them closed(tight) and put them in a freezer(deep freeze NOT frost free).

After only 3 days in the freezer, I put in the fridge for 2 days to thaw out. Then into a 70*F starter with a gravity of 1.038(32 oz volume). Starter NOT on a stir plate...just a jar with wort in it. I am starring at the starter now...2 days no activity. When I try to shake it up, the yeast settle straight to the bottom in record time.

Any ideas?
Try the fridge treatment before putting them in the freezer. Warm up in 80degF bath and pitch immediately.
__________________
StMarcos is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #704
funnycreature
Beer Crafter, Metalhead \m/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
funnycreature's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New House, WV
Posts: 923
Liked 165 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 487

Default

Does anyone have experience with freezing yeast blends? I have been freezing all my yeast strains so far but I'm interested in trying the WLP080 Cream Ale Blend. I'm just worried that with a starter to grow the yeast I will select for one or the other strains thus changing the flavor profile.

__________________
Brütal Brews - Infüsing Craft Beer with Metal since 2013

Check out my wife's etsy store where she offers soaps made with my beer!
funnycreature is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #705
StMarcos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sebastopol, CA
Posts: 947
Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I had poor luck freezing yeast, but I now know I used too much glycerin (40+%) and I chucked the vials immediately into a -20 box. Interested to start experimenting again....

__________________
StMarcos is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #706
bja
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,756
Liked 90 Times on 72 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnycreature View Post
Does anyone have experience with freezing yeast blends? I have been freezing all my yeast strains so far but I'm interested in trying the WLP080 Cream Ale Blend. I'm just worried that with a starter to grow the yeast I will select for one or the other strains thus changing the flavor profile.
How would you do that?
__________________

____________________________________________

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

bja is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #707
funnycreature
Beer Crafter, Metalhead \m/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
funnycreature's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New House, WV
Posts: 923
Liked 165 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 487

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja View Post
How would you do that?
Do what? If you mean how I would select for one strain over the other, that's nothing I'd do on purpose; it's just survival of the fittest Let's say I incubate the starter at ambient temperature, which is in the high 70s right now. If the ale strain in the blend grows better at these temps than the lager strain the former will simply outgrow the latter. If I then use this starter culture for freezing I already have a blend that's of a different composition compared to the original. The only way to do this right would be to find out which strains are in the blend, grow both independently, and then mix them in the right ratio before pitching.

Now if that wasn't your question then I apologize for the lengthy reply
__________________
Brütal Brews - Infüsing Craft Beer with Metal since 2013

Check out my wife's etsy store where she offers soaps made with my beer!
funnycreature is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #708
bja
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,756
Liked 90 Times on 72 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnycreature View Post
Let's say I incubate the starter at ambient temperature, which is in the high 70s right now. If the ale strain in the blend grows better at these temps than the lager strain the former will simply outgrow the latter. If I then use this starter culture for freezing I already have a blend that's of a different composition compared to the original. The only way to do this right would be to find out which strains are in the blend, grow both independently, and then mix them in the right ratio before pitching.
Why would the ale yeast grow better than the lager yeast at such warm temps?
__________________

____________________________________________

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

bja is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #709
funnycreature
Beer Crafter, Metalhead \m/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
funnycreature's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New House, WV
Posts: 923
Liked 165 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 487

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja View Post
Why would the ale yeast grow better than the lager yeast at such warm temps?
I didn't say it does. It's just something that I'm afraid might happen. I'm not a yeast expert and my fears might be completely unjustified.
__________________
Brütal Brews - Infüsing Craft Beer with Metal since 2013

Check out my wife's etsy store where she offers soaps made with my beer!
funnycreature is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #710
jah777
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 15
Default

I froze some yeast a few months ago with about 20% glycerin per vial but I now notice that ice crystals have formed in some of the vials. Should I still try to use these or toss them?

__________________
jah777 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Frozen Yeast Bank vs. Yeast Slanting shortyjacobs Fermentation & Yeast 11 09-24-2010 07:13 PM
Frozen yeast bank not freezing T-Hops General Techniques 6 03-17-2010 03:20 PM
Yeast Starter from frozen yeast bank dfohio General Techniques 5 04-30-2009 07:32 PM
Frozen Yeast Bank- Strain Exchange? flyangler18 General Techniques 37 03-25-2009 01:17 PM
Frozen yeast bank with yeast cakes? mrfocus Recipes/Ingredients 5 11-08-2007 01:13 AM