Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Guide to Making a Frozen Yeast Bank

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #681
bja
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samandbekah View Post
Okay but what is actually not being sanitized, the yeast or the glycerol or both etc?

And are you implying that the Star-San and 1-step cleaners are never really sanitizing the brewing equipment?
There's a difference between sanitizing and sterilizing. In this situation you want sterilization.

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #682
samandbekah
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Okay so then what about yeast washing?

If I am going to freeze washed yeast should I add the glycerin as I would for a yeast bank?

Another option I have been considering is washing yeast and then freezing it instead of refrigeration. I have read that refrigerated washed yeast will lose viability relatively quickly (if not used within a month or two). So ideally, I'd like to be able to wash, freeze, use when I get the chance to brew again etc. and not worry about the loss in viability.

KEGGED + on Tap!: Firestone Walker Wookey Jack Clone, Boeheimian Ryesody
Kegged + waiting to be tapped: Bekah's pale Ale (IPA)
Primary: Belgian Blast Pale Ale
On Deck: Firestone Walker Wookey Jack Clone

Old 01-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #683
bja
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts

Quote:
Okay so then what about yeast washing?

If I am going to freeze washed yeast should I add the glycerin as I would for a yeast bank?

Another option I have been considering is washing yeast and then freezing it instead of refrigeration. I have read that refrigerated washed yeast will lose viability relatively quickly (if not used within a month or two). So ideally, I'd like to be able to wash, freeze, use when I get the chance to brew again etc. and not worry about the loss in viability.
I would never bother freezing washed yeast. I usually end up with so much of it that I throw most of it away.

And it'll last a lot longer than a month or two in the refrigerator.

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #684
mthompson
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Okay but what is actually not being sanitized, the yeast or the glycerol or both etc?

And are you implying that the Star-San and 1-step cleaners are never really sanitizing the brewing equipment?
Sorry about the confusion. The distinction is between Sanitizing and Sterilizing. Sanitizing merely lowers the count of living contaminants to a specified degree. Sterilizing lowers that level to zero living contaminants (including spores and such)

StarSan is definitely an effective sanitizer. When used according to the label, Starsan will effectively lower contamination levels to an acceptable, sanitary level. One-Step, last I looked, no longer carries the sanitizer label because in order to do so they need to be FDA registered as a sanitizer (read $$$ for testing the product's sanitizing ability). For this reason 1-step can only be considered a cleanser.

In the case of yeast banks of any kind, you NEED to have sterile conditions, and this requires autoclaving everything you use; vials, water, glycerin, utensils, etc.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #685
mthompson
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
So ideally, I'd like to be able to wash, freeze, use when I get the chance to brew again etc. and not worry about the loss in viability.
If that is what you are looking for, you need to stick to buying fresh yeast for every brew session. Or, at a minimum, plan brew days so that when one primary fermentation is needing to be transferred, you are brewing that day or the next and pitching washed yeast from that now-empty fermenter's yeast cake.

(this is how many breweries conduct things)

Old 01-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #686
orangehero
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Ideally you want to be as sterile as possible, but you certainly don't need absolute sterility. Brewing beer and handling yeast is much more forgiving than many make it out to be.

If you are freezing yeast, no matter where it came from, you need a cryoprotectant such as glycerin to maintain viability. If you freeze a gallon of washed yeast straight out of the fermentor then you will just kill it.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:24 AM   #687
TastySalmon
Recipes 

Pardon me if this has been brought up before, but can this method be used for preserving Lactobacillus?

Edit: I probably should have googled this prior to asking here. A quick search shows yes, you can preserve bacteria in a 15% glycerin solution with viability up to a year.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #688
fc36
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 27

What if any possibility is there to harvesting just about any microbrew yeast? Is it possible to get yeast out of a microbrew that does not have sediment and grow a viable starter out of it? Or am I just taking crazy pills?

Old 02-18-2013, 10:52 PM   #689
guldalian
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

You can technically culture yeast from any unpasteurized beer. Just easier to do if the beer has lots of yeast left in it. IE un-filtered, low flocculating.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:00 PM   #690
guldalian
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

You can technically culture yeast from any unpasteurized beer. It's just easier when there are lots of un-filtered and/or un-flocculated yeast left in there. Apologies if this sent twice. My phone is stupid.

Quick Reply