Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Guide to Making a Frozen Yeast Bank

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2011, 02:52 PM   #501
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1232 Times on 819 Posts
Likes Given: 561

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojacked
Hey sorry if it's been addressed I read pages 1-25 on the thread earlier and searched a bit. My question is this. I filled my jars to wash yeast with tap water and capped them in ball jars then boiled them. Will this water kill my yeast if I wash with it? My tap ph is 8ish and I don't have a way to test further for chlorine/ chloramine in my tap water. I've been RDWHAHB and I don't want to kill this awesome cake. Will my sanitized tap water kill the pacman yeast I've got a nice cake of? Thanks. B
Are you planning to freeze the yeast?

If so, you might be fine, but it would be much safer to use a pressure cooker to sterilize properly.

If you aren't planning to freeze, this isn't really the right thread for your question, so if you have follow-ups you should head over to the yeast washing thread. That said, boiled water should be sufficiently sanitized.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2011, 08:52 PM   #502
bojacked
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey Malfet, I neglected to mention that the whole point of this was to freeze the yeast so I can store them for a long time.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #503
shushikiary
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Well, I just want to warn all of you to something MalFet told me earlier that he was correct on....

ALWAYS USE A PRESSURE COOKER. I attempted to grow some yeast out of a bottle of gavroche french red ale that I got and that worked out great. But I only used star san when putting the yeast into vials with the glycerin, and did not sanitize the glycerin, and now I have attempted to re-grow the yeast... EVERY vial has a bacterial infection.

I have about 5 other yeasts frozen besides that one at the moment, and they all came back just fine, but on all of them I used the pressure cooker.

It's not worth the risk, they are cheap and easy to use, just get one and use it!

Note that I've found that cooking the wort to use for your first step up starter (from the vial) in a pressure cooker has been pretty handy in making sure the yeast grow and nothing else, and make sure that you put that glycerin in the vials when you put them in the pressure cooker so its sterilized as well before you put yeast into the vials.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:32 AM   #504
Thundercougarfalconbird
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I've been starsan-ing everything with great results. I do need to invest in a pressure cooker the more I use my glycerin I suppose.
My yeast's activity tends to be unnoticeable for the first day or two of starter fermentation. But by the third day things are always going great.

The best beer I ever made was the next one I brew.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:03 PM   #505
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercougarfalconbird View Post
I've been starsan-ing everything with great results. I do need to invest in a pressure cooker the more I use my glycerin I suppose.
My yeast's activity tends to be unnoticeable for the first day or two of starter fermentation. But by the third day things are always going great.
If you are plating out your samples and getting pure cultures with just StarSan, more power to ya. There are enough counter-examples, though, to suggest that you are just getting lucky. If you are not plating them out, what makes you think your samples are pure? In any case, best practices call for sterilization, which starsan does not provide.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:03 AM   #506
StMarcos
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Def getting lucky. Really ought to use hepa hoods for all work after opening the autoclave.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #507
Thundercougarfalconbird
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Oh, I'm not arguing the necessity of quality sanitation. Just marveling at my luck I suppose.

The best beer I ever made was the next one I brew.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:01 AM   #508
Nightbiker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

we're supposed to put the glycerin in the pressure cooker TOO? Won't that ruin the glycerin? Its the ONLY thing I haven't been 'autoclaving'.

GOT BEER?
FERMENTING:
LAGERING/CONDITIONING:Simply Sweet Mead
Kegged: Big Bad Brown Ale (Brown Ale and Porter blend).
Bottled:

Plans: Oak-Smoked Porter, Honey Brown Ale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
we do it for the love of beer! Not for the love of money! We can all make great BEER! Not so much when it comes to money!

Old 05-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #509
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightbiker
we're supposed to put the glycerin in the pressure cooker TOO? Won't that ruin the glycerin? Its the ONLY thing I haven't been 'autoclaving'.
Most definitely, you want to nuke the glycerine too.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 05-14-2011, 04:27 AM   #510
orangehero
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 182

What do you recommend to transfer the yeast? I bough a 10 mL Mohr pipette, but the opening is too narrow to suck up yeast slurry. I'm thinking about getting a stainless turkey baster with a screw-on needle tip, but the bulb is probably not autoclavable.

Quick Reply