Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Guide to Making a Frozen Yeast Bank

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2007, 03:57 AM   #41
Philip1993
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoiv
Ok, so I went by the LHBS this morning and picked up what I hope is the right stuff. If was Glycerin USP Finishing Formula from JD Carlson. Is this the right stuff?

Yep. padding

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2007, 03:17 PM   #42
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoiv
If was Glycerin USP Finishing Formula from JD Carlson. ...

I Think that is LD Carlson. Since they sell it as an additive for wines and liqueurs it certainly should be safe for consumption.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:08 PM   #43
PintOfBitter
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Wow, this sounds like something I'd like to try. I don't have any of the glassware needed, but I was looking around on that Cynmar company's site, and it looks like the whole "kit" could be pieced together pretty cheap. Maybe I'll go for it.

For how many generations is a given yeast supposed to be good for? I'm sure this process shouldn't be repeated forever, right? It seems like I remember the magic number of 4 generations from somewhere...

-PoB

Maybe you can use these Grain, Hops, Yeast Reference Charts
Come visit WildHopsPrintShop.com- custom bottle caps, beer glassware, tap handles, and more!

Old 10-16-2007, 02:13 AM   #44
left field brewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the info. I'm just starting to get into yeast banking. Is that a Corning PC-353? I got the same one at the university surplus store for $5. Its already paid for itself after making just a couple of starters, and the amount of yeast it produces per volume is pretty sweet. Also a little off topic but how hard was it to tap a valve into the top of the pressure cooker(pretty thick)? I'd hate to ruin the nice new $90 pressure cooker I'm looking at.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:16 AM   #45
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PintOfBitter
Wow, this sounds like something I'd like to try. I don't have any of the glassware needed, but I was looking around on that Cynmar company's site, and it looks like the whole "kit" could be pieced together pretty cheap. Maybe I'll go for it.
Scientific glassware is nice, but you can get everything you need at the grocery, just remove the food and wash. Of all the pieces I have, the two I like best came filled with apple juice and Ragu...
Old 10-17-2007, 04:10 AM   #46
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by left field brewer
Thanks for the info. I'm just starting to get into yeast banking. Is that a Corning PC-353? I got the same one at the university surplus store for $5. Its already paid for itself after making just a couple of starters, and the amount of yeast it produces per volume is pretty sweet. Also a little off topic but how hard was it to tap a valve into the top of the pressure cooker(pretty thick)? I'd hate to ruin the nice new $90 pressure cooker I'm looking at.
Yep, I got mine surplus at my university, too! Works great still.

Regarding tapping the valve, it was dead easy. But I would recommend to anyone to be very cautious when you do it. If it isn't threaded properly, you are just asking for serious trouble. To anyone buying a new pressure cooker, I would HIGHLY recommend finding one that has a pressure relief valve that unscrews -- then you can add a tee fitting, put the pressure relief valve back on, and then add your own needle valve for the steam outlet. Brewman ! has pics of his system (see top of post for links).

Old 10-17-2007, 09:01 PM   #47
MadWeezel
Recipes 

One may also look at getting a separatory Funnel with stopcock, After making your starter and removing from the stirplate, transfer your slurry into the stopcock, seal let settle then sterilize the stopcock tip before pouring into the vials.

1000ml

250ml

Old 10-26-2007, 04:30 PM   #48
Andy77
Recipes 

Just FYI, you can get anything you need from a scientific supply house like Fisher Scientific or VWR, I plan on making my frozen stock soon, you can get sterile tubes, anything you need.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:36 PM   #49
mrkristofo

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadWeezel
One may also look at getting a separatory Funnel with stopcock, After making your starter and removing from the stirplate, transfer your slurry into the stopcock, seal let settle then sterilize the stopcock tip before pouring into the vials.

1000ml

250ml

I can't believe I didn't think of this. Well done. Really, good form.
Conditioning: Dead Guy Ale clone, Double-Dubbel
Drinking: Not for a while

Old 11-09-2007, 02:34 PM   #50
jds

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

Quick question / addition:

I've seen these baby soda bottles online for a fairly low price. They're preforms for 2 l soda bottles.

It's a bit hard to tell from the photos, but they look to be about the size of the White Labs pitchable liquid yeasts. I'm planning on saving and freezing some yeast from my next batch. Anyhow, I'm thinking these might be a good size for both storing/freezing yeast, and possibly building a mini-starter in as well.

Has anybody used these for yeast storage or starters?

Quick Reply