Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Guide to Making a Frozen Yeast Bank

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2007, 09:00 PM   #31
jdoiv
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Quick question: What section of the pharmacy or grocery store will have the glycerin? The local walgreens didn't carry it. The pharmacy at the grocery store had the kind that was indigestible. Would it be in the vitamin or health food section?
Thanks

Fermenting:
Planning:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2007, 09:14 PM   #32
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoiv
Quick question: What section of the pharmacy or grocery store will have the glycerin? The local walgreens didn't carry it. The pharmacy at the grocery store had the kind that was indigestible. Would it be in the vitamin or health food section?
Thanks
All Seasons has a couple different varieties. Alternatively, if we ever get together to brew, I can give you some for free.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:14 PM   #33
macs

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebikingengineer
Any tips on sources for the vials? I'd like to start doing this, but I haven't been able to find these things except by the case.
I got some from an Ebay store last year.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:30 PM   #34
jdoiv

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef
All Seasons has a couple different varieties. Alternatively, if we ever get together to brew, I can give you some for free.
Cool. I should of thought to look there last weekend but forgot. I got all my vials and beakers in today. Just need to get a pressure cooker and the glycerin and I'm good to go.

Another question. Instead of the pressure cooker, can you bake the glassware in the oven instead? Or is that not going to be a sterile enough environment?
Fermenting:
Planning:

Old 10-10-2007, 02:38 AM   #35
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoiv
Cool. I should of thought to look there last weekend but forgot. I got all my vials and beakers in today. Just need to get a pressure cooker and the glycerin and I'm good to go.

Another question. Instead of the pressure cooker, can you bake the glassware in the oven instead? Or is that not going to be a sterile enough environment?
You can, but you need to bake for like 12 hours or something crazy like that. Pressure cooker's gonna run you what? $20-$30?

Old 10-10-2007, 05:59 AM   #36
SenorWanderer
Beer Maniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

what do you folks think about washing the yeast as per the instructions in other posts before "bottling" and freezing. would it be beneficial to get rid of the trub and break. i have a big half gallon starter that i made with wyeast 1010 that i'll be preparing to freeze on friday when my vials get here. it started as a 1000ml starter, then half gallon, and then today i poured off the beer and added another half gallon of fresh wort on top of the yeast so i've built up quite a bit of trub.

i also have about 100ml of washed yeast in a pint jar in the fridge that i harvested from a 5g batch of wheat beer. its been in there for about a month, maybe 6 weeks. its a different strain so i might go ahead and freeze a couple vials of this yeast as well. then maybe i can make a starter with it in a few months just to see how viable it is having been washed and then sat in the fridge for a while. comments?

Old 10-10-2007, 01:39 PM   #37
macs

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you guys see the book..."First Steps in Yeast Culture" by Pierre Rajotte, buy it!!
It is an awesome book on this subject and is full of procedures on sterilizing, transferring, storing and other methods of manipulating yeast.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:03 PM   #38
Llarian
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorWanderer
what do you folks think about washing the yeast as per the instructions in other posts before "bottling" and freezing. would it be beneficial to get rid of the trub and break. i have a big half gallon starter that i made with wyeast 1010 that i'll be preparing to freeze on friday when my vials get here. it started as a 1000ml starter, then half gallon, and then today i poured off the beer and added another half gallon of fresh wort on top of the yeast so i've built up quite a bit of trub.

i also have about 100ml of washed yeast in a pint jar in the fridge that i harvested from a 5g batch of wheat beer. its been in there for about a month, maybe 6 weeks. its a different strain so i might go ahead and freeze a couple vials of this yeast as well. then maybe i can make a starter with it in a few months just to see how viable it is having been washed and then sat in the fridge for a while. comments?
There is no trub in a starter to speak of. If you take your washed yeast and pump it up to a half gallon starter, you can just pull the yeast slurry from the bottom and freeze that without worrying about any further washing.

-D

Old 10-13-2007, 05:42 PM   #39
jdoiv

Recipes 

Ok, so I went by the LHBS this morning and picked up what I hope is the right stuff. If was Glycerin USP Finishing Formula from JD Carlson. Is this the right stuff?

Fermenting:
Planning:

Old 10-15-2007, 12:03 AM   #40
bull
Recipes 

nice job indeed,bull

Quick Reply