The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Guide to Making a Frozen Yeast Bank

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2009, 06:39 PM   #181
courtneygwilson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Use to work in a laboratory. Hind site is 20/20. Could have had it all:-(

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2009, 06:39 PM   #182
noisy123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Can the vials with the glycerin and water be "autoclaved" and saved until the yeast is ready to use or must they be autoclaved the same day as the yeast is harvested? The vials I purchased are autoclavable but I want to be sure they remain sterile for a couple of weeks while I make starters for my favorite strains.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:10 AM   #183
raceskier
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Fly Guy autoclaved his. I use pre autoclaved slants and keep those around for months before innoculating.

Primary: , Boddington's Clone, Mirror Pond w/Marris Otter
Secondary:
Bottled: Fullers ESB Clone
Kegged: Mirror Pond Clone
Drinking: BM's Kona Fire Rock, Dead Guy Clone, Alaskan Amber Alt Clone, Firestone DBA Clone, Magnum/Crystal IPA
Next up: Burton IPA

Old 01-15-2009, 05:07 AM   #184
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Absolutely you could autoclave them and keep them on hand until you are ready to use them. The only thing to be careful about is exposing the contents to nasties when you open the vials. Lots of stuff can eventually get in between the neck of the vial and the cap.

I suggest getting a brand new zip-loc bag, and as soon as the vials are autoclaved, seal them up until you are ready to use them.

If you were really cautious, you might spray the vials (especially where the neck and cap meet), or flame the mouth of the vial before adding the yeast.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:32 AM   #185
denimglen
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I assume there'd be no problem with pulling yeast straight from the WL or WY packaging and then into the glycerin vials? Besides the fact that you'd only get a few vials...

Old 02-19-2009, 04:23 PM   #186
goatchze
Recipes 

I'm about to set up my yeat bank and thought I would share this find. SWMBO is a science teacher and I was flipping through a supplies catalogue to find this:

Glass Separatory Funnel – 500 ml ~ Funnels

$24 bucks isn't bad. Since it is only 500mL, I plan on using a 1-2 quart starter, then crash cooling and decanting off the majority of the beer. Shake the starter to get the yeast back into suspension (so as to get as much as possible out), then the yeast slurry goes into the 500mL funnel and back into the fridge to settle out.

We'll see how it works!

Old 02-19-2009, 04:35 PM   #187
Piotr
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatchze View Post
I'm about to set up my yeat bank and thought I would share this find. SWMBO is a science teacher and I was flipping through a supplies catalogue to find this:

Glass Separatory Funnel – 500 ml ~ Funnels

$24 bucks isn't bad. Since it is only 500mL, I plan on using a 1-2 quart starter, then crash cooling and decanting off the majority of the beer. Shake the starter to get the yeast back into suspension (so as to get as much as possible out), then the yeast slurry goes into the 500mL funnel and back into the fridge to settle out.

We'll see how it works!
It is a great tool, and they are 1000 and 2000 ml too.
I didn't buy it, because it is large, bulky and fragile, it is dificoult to sterilize it and you have to hang it up somehow... another bulky equipement

Old 02-26-2009, 05:06 AM   #188
Superman3278
Recipes 

Again, great post. I will keep record and evaluate my progress.

"Dont worry Brew Happy"

Old 03-17-2009, 05:29 PM   #189
noisy123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The Mr. Malty calculator uses units of packages Wyeast or vials of WL as a unit.
Is there a rule of thumb for how to use the Mr. Malty calculator for the 20 mL vials? I guess what I am asking is: how many mL of starter do I need to be a equivalent to a package of yeast?

Old 03-17-2009, 05:42 PM   #190
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisy123 View Post
The Mr. Malty calculator uses units of packages Wyeast or vials of WL as a unit.
Is there a rule of thumb for how to use the Mr. Malty calculator for the 20 mL vials? I guess what I am asking is: how many mL of starter do I need to be a equivalent to a package of yeast?
You're going to have to grow up that starter incrementally to get the most cells out of the 20mL as possible. I'd do something like 100ml ---> 500ml ---->1000ml. You're looking for a doubling of cells with each step-up.

Quick Reply