Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Guide to Making a Frozen Yeast Bank

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2008, 07:53 PM   #121
wedge421
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I dont think it does. It just says to dilute it with some water and apply to dry skin.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2008, 01:00 PM   #122
Cugel
Recipes 

How do you transfer the yeast to the tubes? I see that fly guy used a stainless steel turkey baster. Could I use my wine thief safely without contaminating the yeast?

Thanks.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:44 PM   #123
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I use a 500ml separatory funnel I snagged from the lab at work. I use a short piece of silicone tubing on the funnel, and on the other end I have the snapped-off end of a glass pipette. Works fantastic. You might be able to find a cheap funnel online. I'm on the hunt for a cheap 1-2 litre size myself.

This place really went to hell. Follow the OF standard stout. Bye.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:05 PM   #124
Cugel
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr x View Post
I use a 500ml separatory funnel I snagged from the lab at work. I use a short piece of silicone tubing on the funnel, and on the other end I have the snapped-off end of a glass pipette. Works fantastic. You might be able to find a cheap funnel online. I'm on the hunt for a cheap 1-2 litre size myself.
Thanks for your response. Would a pipette work, if used in a manner similar to a wine thief... ie stick into yeast-rich fluid until full and then place thumb over the end to maintain a vacuum?

Thanks.

http://secure.sciencecompany.com/Sib...15992C2616.asp
x

Old 05-08-2008, 02:16 PM   #125
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Probably would work as well as a baster. I'd get a 50ml size minimum and do a bunch at once, and maybe bigger size if they exist. Or you could get a smaller size and do them one at a time. Sometimes you have to snap the end off if it clogs or is too slow.

This place really went to hell. Follow the OF standard stout. Bye.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:24 PM   #126
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

so i eneded up finding tubes that were 8 ml....think that would work or should i go bigger?

Old 05-08-2008, 02:48 PM   #127
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge421 View Post
I dont think it does. It just says to dilute it with some water and apply to dry skin.
If it does not indicate additives or smell like perfumes, it should be fine. Even if it did, the effect will be tiny. You're going to put ~6.4ml into a 32ml tube. Half of that will be discarded, and pitched into a 1-2L starter. 90% of that starter will be discarded. Assuming none of it settles, gets stored in the yeast cells (which it does), or is lost to racking waste, the glycerin in the final beer will be about 0.064ml per gallon (3750ml) or 0.0017%. And 0.0017% is the mathematical equivalent of RDWHAHB....

Quote:
Originally Posted by scinerd3000
so i ended up finding tubes that were 8 ml....think that would work or should i go bigger?
Bigger. I use 32ml's and they are workable but I wish they were a bit bigger. IMHO, 175ml is to large. When I buy again, I will look for polycarbonate/plastic tubes in the 50-100ml range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cugel
Thanks for your response. Would a pipette work, if used in a manner similar to a wine thief... ie stick into yeast-rich fluid until full and then place thumb over the end to maintain a vacuum?
If you're talking yeast in suspension, yes. If you're talking a compacted slurry from a crash cooled wort, probably not.

I either swirl and pour through a sanitized funnel (usually) or use a 10ml plastic syringe (for giving kids liquid medicine) and a piece of aquarium hose. With the latter, you can suck up slurry from the bottom w/o pouring off the "beer" and deposit it into the tube directly.

Last edited by Philip1993; 05-08-2008 at 02:56 PM. Reason: more data

Old 05-10-2008, 01:56 AM   #128
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

does anyone know how much volume the white labs yeast vials hold?

Old 05-11-2008, 12:05 AM   #129
MNBugeater

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

For those of you that have the 16mL vials or any size for that matter...

When your yeast seperates out after placing in the refridgerator for 48 hours, how much of your vial is "yeast" compared to the wort, water, glycerin, etc.

I feel I didn't get enough yeast when I used the pipette to transfer from flask to vial. I only have a small settlement of yeast in the bottom of my 16mL vial. Maybe 1/16" of an inch ? I imagine I need more that that ?

Any tips on how to get more yeast and not so much wort/beer out of my starter flask via a pipette?

Warren

On Tap: Blonde Ale, Apfelwein, Cinnamon Apfelwein, Amber Ale, Irish Red
Bottled: Porter, Wheat, Barleywine, Cranberry Apfelwein, Amber Ale
Buy Bugeater Brewery Gear

Old 05-11-2008, 02:41 AM   #130
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBugeater View Post
When your yeast seperates out after placing in the refridgerator for 48 hours, how much of your vial is "yeast" compared to the wort, water, glycerin, etc.
About 20-30% solids, the balance wort/water/etc. Read up on yeast washing and look at my pics. If you're putting washed yeast of about that opacity into your vials, you should see about 20-30% yeast fallout.

Quick Reply