Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Grolsch flip tops--more carb?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #11
Thegreatestgray
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epimetheus
I think the flip-tops release the pressure faster than caps. Flip tops open almost instantly around the entire perimeter. Caps are pried off; it is a tiny gap that gets larger. Sort of the difference between releasing the pressure of a balloon all at once by popping it, or pushing a pin through the base and letting the air out more slowly. Or like shaking a soda bottle, then opening the cap all at once or slowly easing it open.
+1 I have open them both ways and have noticed that when you "pop" it open it seems to foam more and when I slowly open them it acts more like a pry top bottle

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #12
CheftonUTD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm still a newbie brewer (5 batches), I've been using a combination of screw-top plastic bottles, 750ml swing-tops, and reused glass bottles with a bench capper.

I don't have a side-by-side comparison of swing-top vs capped bottles, but in the batches where I've used mixed bottles I have noticed the swing-tops have noticeably better carbonation and head than the plastic screw-tops.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply