Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Greater Hop Utilization

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2008, 03:34 PM   #1
cheezydemon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Greater Hop Utilization

BYO has a great article on getting the most out of hops this month.

One thing in particular that caught my eye, was steeping bittering hops to extract the aroma (which gets boiled off anyways) and adding this "tea" to the secondary to increase percieved hoppiness.

Also boiling a little bit of hops in the priming solution at bottling was suggested.

I am doing a Harvest Ale with the little bit of hops that my bines produced this year.

The Hop Tea, and priming ideas appeal to me, because not all of the cones will be ready at once, and I can use fresh cones at brewing, secondary, and then bottling.

I would love for it to be an IPA, but I fear it will be a mild Pale Ale at best, so I will dump in as many as I have at each point.

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2008, 04:10 PM   #2
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 15

There is a large thread about this here. I too am interested in the technique & plan to employ it someday.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=55721

Old 08-21-2008, 05:12 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

I like the tea idea. Given that my harvest this year is smaller than last year, I'll probably be doing a Whole Harvest Ale again. So every little bit will help.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-21-2008, 08:19 PM   #4
waterse
Recipes 

That's a fantastic idea, have the bittering hops do double duty. Given the price of hops I am certainly going to try this.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:12 PM   #5
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon View Post
One thing in particular that caught my eye, was steeping bittering hops to extract the aroma (which gets boiled off anyways) and adding this "tea" to the secondary to increase percieved hoppiness.
Just so I'm clear on this part... steep the bittering hops in the tea then use them to bitter?

Primary: German Alt
Bottled: Kolch, German Hefeweizen
On tap: 60/- Light Scottish Ale

Old 08-21-2008, 09:27 PM   #6
clemson55
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Not the same thing but I took 2 ounces I used for Dry Hopping and made a hop tea with them which I will be using to make another beer. I have about 1/2 gallon of extremely hoppy smelling/tasting liquid.

Primary - Empty
Secondary - Empty
Bottle Conditioning - None
Drinking - Peanut Butter Oatmeal Stout, Barleywine, Saison, APA, Strawberry mead
In the Works - Summer Rye for my wedding, May 15, 2010

Old 08-22-2008, 01:00 AM   #7
waterse
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonbrown View Post
Just so I'm clear on this part... steep the bittering hops in the tea then use them to bitter?

No, what I think he means is that since the aroma and flavor compounds are boiled off and lost during the long bittering portion of the boilm that one could steep the hops in hot water for a short time to capture some of the aroma and flavor in the steeped tea to be aded later so that the bittering hops also contribute to the flavor and aroma.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:08 AM   #8
waterse
Recipes 

Actually I just reread your comment and you are right, I misread it at first. Yes, you would steep the bittering hops for a short time to pull out flavor and aroma into a hop "tea" then put the hops into the boil to let them do thier job bittering, reserving the tea to use later in the boil or after.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:39 PM   #9
DaleJ
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

FYI...Yesterday's (8/20/2008) Basic Brewing podcast is an interview with Chris Colby about the article.

Drinking:Woodchuck Cider, Schwarzbier, Dalerweisse Wheat
On deck: German Wheat

---------------------------------------------------------------------
  • I've overcome my fear of wheat; but I'm still skittish around barley.-Mr. Carlin
  • What doesn't kill you makes you stronger; however, not everyone makes it into the second category.
  • If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:41 PM   #10
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Actually the article seemed to say that you would add the tea to an already fermented batch, and then proceed to use the steeped hops to bitter a new batch, but I see no reason not to save the hop tea, refridgerated for a couple of weeks.

I can't imagine it would spoil.

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Quick Reply