Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Great/Easy way to cool your wort

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
dpaulbarrett
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Great/Easy way to cool your wort

I can't be the first one to think of this, but thought I'd share anyway. A few days before brewing I put a gallon jug of Arrowhead in the freezer. When it came time to cool my wort, I sat the jug in a pot of warm IO Star solution to unstick the ice from the jug, then cut the jug away from the ice with sanitized scissors. In went the ice into the wort, I sat and stirred it a bit, and within maybe 15 minutes the ice was melted and my wort was down below 90°.

Combine wort with water in carboy up to 5 gal and I was ready to pitch. No wasted water, no time spent crouched over ice-filled bathtub, no immersion chiller necessary. Worked incredibly well.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1267 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 583

Don't worry, you're not the only one to have done this.

Glad it works for you.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2013, 01:42 AM   #3
Abiathar
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've been looking at the Rapi-Kool soup chillers. They are made to cool large pots of soup/stock in restaurants and could easily be pulled from the freezer to a Star-San bath to sanitize before going in the wort. They seem to be a bit pricy and since I've only been doing 2.5 gallon BIAB, a ice bath in the sink while stirring brings the temp down to 70-80 in about 20 minutes with one refill of ice.

http://www.amazon.com/Rapi-Kool®-Coo...m/B0001MSCI4/2

Steve

Quick Reply