Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Gravitational mystery

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
binkman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Gravitational mystery

Hi all,

Trying to figure out what my problem was on a recent brew. I've narrowed down the possibilities, but I could use some other brewing perspective to avoid this problem in the future.

Waaay back in May 2012 I brewed an ordinary bock, but life, travel, and work intervened to the point that I wasn't able to rack it into a keg until earlier this week. So that made about 8 months of lagering at 41F. I remember nothing about making this beer, as a result, but I have BeerAlchemy statistics recorded for it.

Apparently, I over-estimated efficiency (actually, I think I spilled some of the first runnings) and ended up with OG 1.059 instead of 1.065. When I racked it out, I took a FG reading and thought it would be a little low, since the OG was low. Nope. Instead of 1.016 I hit 1.021!

Tasting the beer revealed no off-flavors. It didn't seem thick enough or sweet enough to justify 1.021, but it was flat and very cold when I tried it, so I will have to try again after it carbs up and see what I've got.

Mashing was apparently done at 154. Thats what the recipe says. I made no note at the time of mashing any higher. The grain bill included:

9lb 13oz Munich (of the german variety 5-6L)
11oz Caramunich 60L
10oz Caramel 120L
10oz Carahell 10L

Did I perhaps mash higher than 154, or was there not enough diastatic power in the grist for the Munich to convert itself and the carahell? Right now I think it must have been a combination of the two, but even then I'm surprised the FG is 5 points high, when the OG was 6 points low.

Another possible factor: the yeast was a strain I never used before, WLP940 Mexican Lager which BeerAlchemy estimates at 70-78% attenuation and "produces crisp, clean lagers". My initial taste test agreed it was crisp and clean. The yeast had been stepped up by making a steam-beer batch that had some acetaldehyde problems (probably from under-pitching). So the yeast could have been unhealthy, but taste-wise they seem to have done their job.

If I learned anything from this site, its that when something didn't work out the way you expected, it often still works out. Seems like it will be a good batch, just wondering why I had so little control on the process this time around.

Bottled: B'more Malty Pale Ale — Orfy's Bitter — Swinging Hammock Summer Kölsch — Dry-Hopped Bitter — Apfelwein — Pumpkin ale — B'more Malty Pale Ale — Kitchen Sink Red — Cider — Spontaneous Cider — Armistice Barleywine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 438 Posts
Likes Given: 210

From what I can see about 20% of the recipe was basically crystal type malts which is a lot and you mashed at the higher temperature range making the wort over all, less fermentable resulting in a higher finish of the beer.

If everything tastes good and stable then package it and enjoy it. Next time either cut back on some of the malts to like 10% total grain bill and lower the mash temp and it should finish lower for you.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 02-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1641 Times on 1234 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Lol, OH! Sorry, thought this might be a black hole discussion.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Did you correct your gravity readingg for temp?

Quick Reply