*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > gorgeous oak chips...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 03:55 AM   #21
twalte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Thanks! I live close to Napa, so thinking about sourcing some oak barrels to play with this. Should be a cheap way to play around with more flavors.

Appreciate the advice and pointer.

"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 04:11 AM   #22
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2664 Times on 2075 Posts
Likes Given: 311

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack
Woah woah woah... Knob Creek is a decent bourbon (a little too sweet for me), but there's no way it's top shelf.
There's better whiskey for the money IMO.. Like this
image-1624794495.jpg  

Old 01-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #23
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 468 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Man, you're still workin on that bottle? How was it anyway? Gotta get myself another bottle and try it out.

Mikeysab on untappd.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #24
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Ya'll are obsessed, but in a good way. I wish I had the money to use top shelf burbon.

In my wee heavy, I use an ounce of light toast american oak chips. I spread them out over a small cookie sheet and warm up the oven to 250 and let them toast a little more for 20 mins or so to sanitize, then toss them into a jar with two mini bottles of johnny walker red and let it soak a week. Then, the wood goes in a grain bag in the primary for a week.

This makes for a mighty fine wee heavy that never lasts. In fact, it's high time I whip up another batch of it.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #25
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysab
Man, you're still workin on that bottle? How was it anyway? Gotta get myself another bottle and try it out.
It is awesome, but actually I have to fight the wife for it. She says I have to get more when this is gone, so I've found a place to order it. She's not typically the type to sip whiskey but she does like this.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #26
Gunpowder
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack View Post
Woah woah woah... Knob Creek is a decent bourbon (a little too sweet for me), but there's no way it's top shelf.

Treat yourself to a single barrel, something aged a little longer (10+ years), a true micro-distilled, or go for the gold and try some Pappy (I've never been able to try some!) or Stagg.

Hudson and Woodinville are great micros that I've been lucky enough to try, and I have some Elijah Craig 18 year single barrel that's smooth as hell.

I'm certainly no expert, but at that price point I prefer Makers 46, and to be honest my favorite everyday whiskey is Bulleit (their rye especially). Best value around.
lol... Just because there are certainly better whiskeys than KC, that doesn't mean it's not top shelf. I think it's a damn fine whiskey.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #27
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpowder View Post
lol... Just because there are certainly better whiskeys than KC, that doesn't mean it's not top shelf. I think it's a damn fine whiskey.
Well... I think "top shelf" is always going to be a pretty subjective term, so to each is own. I meant no offense.

But to me, top shelf and value are completely unrelated. In the wine world, they frequently talk about QPR, quality to price ratio. To you, Knob Creek may have a great QPR, for me I'd say Bulliet has a better QPR. That's obviously entirely up to the one doing the drinking!

But from where I'm sitting, the fact that it's relatively inexpensive and the fact that there are many better whiskeys out there absolutely means that it's not top shelf. Knob Creek is good, and it is certainly a great value to many people. Like I said, it's not my favorite, but that's almost irrelevant. You say it's a damn fine whiskey, which it may be, but compared to the grand scope of available bourbons it's really only midrange in both price and quality. And I guess I don't see how midrange translates to top shelf.

Like I said before I'm definitely not a whiskey expert or connoisseur, and I'm certainly not a whiskey snob. I've proudly chugged my way through a bottle of Old Granddad during a camping trip, just like I've proudly chugged my way through a 6 pack of High Life when the setting calls for it. But I guess I've never thought of a $25-30 bourbon as top shelf. If that's top shelf, then what's a $70 bottle of Stagg or a $2-300 bottle of Pappy?

Old 01-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #28
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Black Velvet is a shelf above Ancient Age

Old 01-05-2013, 12:53 AM   #29
Realispatt
Recipes 

Think I will soak some oak in this.

image-1029014.jpg

Old 01-05-2013, 01:02 AM   #30
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 125

By "oak" i hope you mean liver! Nice bottle!

Quick Reply