Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > gorgeous oak chips...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #11
Gunpowder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Not much... I just put the oak chips in a spare test test tube, shook them until they all settled nicely, then poured the whiskey over them until they were covered completely. Maybe 2 shots worth.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #12
shelly_belly
Locomotive Breath
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 17

No matter what flavor bourbon I use to season my 5 gal barrel it always taste better afterwards.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #13
harrymanback92
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I get Knob Creek for $25 a bottle and can tell you you'll notice a difference. I did a bourbon Porter with Makers and oak, and the same recipe with Knob Creek and Oak; the Knob Creek beer had a more noticeable bourbon flavor, and "cushioned" the malt quite a bit more than the Makers. I attribute this to the long aging of Knob Creek which leaves it loaded with Oak sugars.

But that's my experience, if I was paying 40 a bottle I'd stick to Makers.

Primary:Farmhouse Triple, Simcoe Session IPA, 100% Brett Brux IPA
Conditioning: Willamette English Pale Ale

Old 01-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #14
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpowder View Post
Yes they were toasted... and waste of Bourbon my ass, I drink that when its done!
Youre not gonna put the bourbon in the beer? I did a scotch oaked. Wee heavy and put the scotch in with the chips. Damn that was a good beer.
Mikeysab on untappd.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:28 AM   #15
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Woah woah woah... Knob Creek is a decent bourbon (a little too sweet for me), but there's no way it's top shelf.

Treat yourself to a single barrel, something aged a little longer (10+ years), a true micro-distilled, or go for the gold and try some Pappy (I've never been able to try some!) or Stagg.

Hudson and Woodinville are great micros that I've been lucky enough to try, and I have some Elijah Craig 18 year single barrel that's smooth as hell.

I'm certainly no expert, but at that price point I prefer Makers 46, and to be honest my favorite everyday whiskey is Bulleit (their rye especially). Best value around.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:36 AM   #16
twalte
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Dumb question, but here it goes. Does soaking in Bourbon insure that the chips are sanitized? Might want to try this with a smaller portion of a Russian Imperial Stout that I just moved to secondary.

Seemed like the alcohol content may not be high enough to kill microbes...but still learning and looking for ideas.

"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

Old 01-03-2013, 03:40 AM   #17
zachattack
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twalte View Post
Dumb question, but here it goes. Does soaking in Bourbon insure that the chips are sanitized? Might want to try this with a smaller portion of a Russian Imperial Stout that I just moved to secondary.

Seemed like the alcohol content may not be high enough to kill microbes...but still learning and looking for ideas.
Jamil says no, they recommend steaming first.

Give this a listen if you have the time:
http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/Brew-Strong/Brew-Strong-09-15-08-Wood-Aging

Old 01-03-2013, 03:41 AM   #18
twalte
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Thanks. Will check it out tomorrow.

"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

Old 01-03-2013, 03:44 AM   #19
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Got some pieces of a Makers Mark 46 barrel before xmas from a good friend.

First picture is of them as they arrived (the shorter piece is what I cut to get the three pieces in the second picture).
Second picture is after they've been sitting in an ounce, or two, of MM46 for several days. I cut the pieces off of the larger one (after sanding the outside), then toasted all sides that were not already. Poured enough MM46 to mostly cover the bottom of the container then placed the pieces in it. After tying the butchers twine to them of course (drilled the hole before toasting). Planning on dropping 1-3 of them into a batch of mead I made last year that needs more flavor added (or did last time I checked). Before I add them, I'll sample the batch though. If the mead has improved enough over the past several months, then I might just add one piece. Otherwise, up to all three could go in. I'm also thinking about adding some to the 15%+ barleywine when it goes to aging vessel.

BTW, I seriously doubt anything harmful could survive a soak in 40%+ alcohol. Also, MM46 is 94 proof, so 47% ABV.

mm46_barrel_parts_dry.jpg   mm46_barrel_parts_soaked.jpg  

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine
Gunpowder Likes This 
Old 01-03-2013, 03:51 AM   #20
zachattack
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twalte View Post
Thanks. Will check it out tomorrow.
No problem. Like most of those podcasts, they ramble on quite a bit. I think the "soaking in booze" talk comes towards the end. But basically their point is that plenty of wild yeast/bacteria can thrive in oak, and you need stronger than 80 proof to kill them all. I think many people don't bother, but it's so quick and easy to steam them first so why not? Just toss them in a measuring cup or whatever in your microwave, throw in a splash of water, and zap it for a couple minutes.

Quick Reply