Glycerine lab grade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim928

Reaction score
I want to freeze my yeast culture using the techniques I read about using Glycerine. The lab grade Glycerine (CAS 56-81-5) has a warning "Harmful if Swallowed". Did I buy the wrong stuff?

Glycerin(e) is indeed harmful if you swallowed the bottle of it. When you use it to bank yeast you are diluting it with your culture as well as when you pitch it into a starter when you revive it. Then the amount is so minimal that it doesn't matter, but no don't go around drinking the stuff :).

Just wanted to be sure.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/guide-making-frozen-yeast-bank-35891/

"Second, a bit of glycerine, also known as glycerol (but NOT glycol!!) helps prevent freeze damage. I buy glycerine from my LHBS or pharmacy. Just be sure to get the type that is safe to ingest (it is harmless at these quantities)"

That piece of advice came from my pharmacist. She told me that they sold two types of glycerol -- one that is manufactured to be safe to ingest, and one that is used as a suppository or something like that. I suspect her concern was how the suppository version was manufactured, and whether it would be considered food-grade.

If you are using lab-grade glycerine, I suspect it would be pure, meaning that it should be very safe to ingest.

Latest posts

Back