The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > getting the wort into the cube doing no chill

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2011, 05:53 AM   #11
bengerman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOB_OCDAVE View Post
This was my main concern. I own a "cube cooler". Its a big blue cooler with a white lid. I have one with wheels and one without. It sounded like you were going to use the "cube" as a fermentation vessel. To each his own...
"cube" seems to be the term used for a no-chill vessel, regardless of shape or construction.

and, WRT your warnings about no chill, that's what i thought, too, but tons of people seem to be doing it with no issues whatsoever, both here and on other homebrew sites.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #12
PickledFetus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivenin
i use this

it was about 10 bucks, i pick up the kettle and dump it into that, a little dangerous, but if you have steady hands and no valve, it's the easiest way to go about it
Are you doing full 5+ gallon boils? I was going to try the same thing, but I did a test run first to see if I could pour 5 gallons of liquid into a funnel without spilling it or burning myself, and I failed miserably (hence the copper racking cane).

Old 09-04-2011, 03:55 PM   #13
Rivenin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 78

yep, dumping about 6 gallons or so into the cube, can be messy, you just have to grab it right, usually my right hand is on the handle, and my left is on the opposite corner on the bottom, helps me lift and aim correctly, just have to go slowly.
if you spend like $25 you can get a weldless valve for your pot though, makes brewing WAY easier lol. i dont miss the days of lifting that pot.

Kegged Oktoberfest - Schwarzbier - Pale Mild
Coming up Cream ale - Bitter - NZ/USA IPA - Nelson Sauvin honey Blonde - Porter

Electric 120v Brutus 20

Quote:
Homebrewers are like drunk Rembrandt's... Painting the world with liquid love
Quote:
If you're getting into this hobby to save money... you have a great sense of humor

Old 09-04-2011, 04:12 PM   #14
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

HSA is really one of those boogeymen for homebrewers.....Take that worry off the table.

I keep a pair of Orka silicone oven gloves that go to my elbows in my brew box, you can even plunge you hand into boiling wort with no effects wearing them.

I uses them to move my kettle around when brewing. At the last AHC big brew day a no chill brewer borrowed mine, picked up his kettle, and with a large metal funnel poured his wort easily into is aquatainer cube.

These are the gloves.

He used to use pot holders, but said he was going to get a pair of mitts like mine.

You can get metal funnels as large as 9" in diameter.

Like this one on google...

Getting another silicone pot holder of glove would be a good idea so someone can steady the funnel while you pour...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #15
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOB_OCDAVE View Post
This was my main concern. I own a "cube cooler". Its a big blue cooler with a white lid. I have one with wheels and one without. It sounded like you were going to use the "cube" as a fermentation vessel. To each his own...
You clearly aren't up to date on the no chill brewing info...It's been done for decades in Australia, and 2 years ago in BYO magazine John Palmer introduced it to the American Brewing scene, along with BIAB (Brew in a bag.)

That link above is a good thread on it. Any "doubts" you might have about it have been long since desputed....they were long since disputed long before we americans even heard about it...like I said it had been perfected in Australia several decades ago.

As to the "cube" we're talking about...this is it...

The premise is that you don't need to sanitize it. You merely dump your boiling wort right into it and seal it up hot....it will steralize the container and form a vacuum in the container, protecting it...Then you either stick it in a fridge or just leave it to cool down to pitching temps on it's own, then you either rack to another fermenter, or just pitch yeast inside and ferment right in the aquatainer.

The method is great for folks who don't want to use 5-20 gallons of water to chill their wort, or where the groundwater is warm and won't really chill the wort all that fast anyway.

Dumping and sealing while boiling hot protects the wort from infection and lengthens the safety window til you can pitch the yeast. Folks have left their wort sealed for a week before even pitching the yeast with no issues.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-04-2011, 09:57 PM   #16
cadarnell
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
You clearly aren't up to date on the no chill brewing info...It's been done for decades in Australia, and 2 years ago in BYO magazine John Palmer introduced it to the American Brewing scene, along with BYOB (Brew in a bag.)

That link above is a good thread on it. Any "doubts" you might have about it have been long since desputed....they were long since disputed long before we americans even heard about it...like I said it had been perfected in Australia several decades ago.

As to the "cube" we're talking about...this is it...

The premise is that you don't need to sanitize it. You merely dump your boiling wort right into it and seal it up hot....it will steralize the container and form a vacuum in the container, protecting it...Then you either stick it in a fridge or just leave it to cool down to pitching temps on it's own, then you either rack to another fermenter, or just pitch yeast inside and ferment right in the aquatainer.

The method is great for folks who don't want to use 5-20 gallons of water to chill their wort, or where the groundwater is warm and won't really chill the wort all that fast anyway.

Dumping and sealing while boiling hot protects the wort from infection and lengthens the safety window til you can pitch the yeast. Folks have left their wort sealed for a week before even pitching the yeast with no issues.
great info revvy ... I'm buying my cube later today .. I may check on those mits too .. thanks !!!

Old 09-05-2011, 02:15 AM   #17
beaksnbeer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 484 Times on 322 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
HSA is really one of those boogeymen for homebrewers.....Take that worry off the table.

I keep a pair of Orka silicone oven gloves that go to my elbows in my brew box, you can even plunge you hand into boiling wort with no effects wearing them.

I uses them to move my kettle around when brewing. At the last AHC big brew day a no chill brewer borrowed mine, picked up his kettle, and with a large metal funnel poured his wort easily into is aquatainer cube.

These are the gloves.

He used to use pot holders, but said he was going to get a pair of mitts like mine.

Getting another silicone pot holder of glove would be a good idea so someone can steady the funnel while you pour...
Ok so Revvy where do we get the gloves?

Old 09-05-2011, 02:28 AM   #18
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 553 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Quick google search....
http://www.amazon.com/OrkaPlus-A8230...5189632&sr=8-1

Old 09-05-2011, 03:00 AM   #19
Revvy

Recipes 

Mine don't have a cotton linning. That's probably a newer version of them. But that's pretty much the same as mine otherwise.

Quick Reply