Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > getting the wort into the cube doing no chill

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2011, 11:04 PM   #1
cadarnell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default getting the wort into the cube doing no chill

I have decided to try a no chill brew .. the only limitation I seem to have is my BK doesnt have a valve ... what's the best way for me to get the hot wort into the cube? .. could I just use a sanatised pitcher and pour it in there, or will that splash too much and perhaps cause off flavors from HSA? .. thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 02:45 AM   #2
PickledFetus
Recipes 

I had the same problem. I solved it by building a high-temperature siphon out of copper tubing, high-temp braided tubing, and a hose clamp. I think it ended up being around $20 of parts from home depot. I prime it with star san. You just have to be careful to handle it with pot holders as it will get extremely hot during the transfer.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:58 AM   #3
SOB_OCDAVE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Several issues with this thought of a "no chill brew". First, hot liquid warps the inside lining of coolers. They are meant more for cold liquids, than boiling hot liquids. Second, it will take several hours or days to get the hot wort to pitching temperatures using this method. This amount of time leaves your wort very susceptible to infection. Third, an ice bath is the most simplistic way to chill the wort down to pitching temps. If you really want to siphon hot wort, a stainless steel racking cane and silicone hose is my suggestion.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:26 AM   #4
PickledFetus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOB_OCDAVE View Post
Several issues with this thought of a "no chill brew". First, hot liquid warps the inside lining of coolers. They are meant more for cold liquids, than boiling hot liquids. Second, it will take several hours or days to get the hot wort to pitching temperatures using this method. This amount of time leaves your wort very susceptible to infection. Third, an ice bath is the most simplistic way to chill the wort down to pitching temps. If you really want to siphon hot wort, a stainless steel racking cane and silicone hose is my suggestion.
If you read the thread here (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/expl.../index106.html) you'll see that most of these issues have been addressed. (You'll also see that I've been having some issues with the method myself, but that's a separate issue, hopefully.)

Old 09-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #5
cadarnell
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOB_OCDAVE View Post

i will not be putting anything in a cooler at all ... it will be a HDPE water container I am going to buy at walmart .. i have read that infections using these are almost impossible to get with proper sanitation ... thanks for the thoughts on the transfer

Old 09-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
SOB_OCDAVE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadarnell View Post
... what's the best way for me to get the hot wort into the cube?
This was my main concern. I own a "cube cooler". Its a big blue cooler with a white lid. I have one with wheels and one without. It sounded like you were going to use the "cube" as a fermentation vessel. To each his own...

Old 09-01-2011, 04:53 PM   #7
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 29

For me no chill is fine if you learn to adjust your hopping to accommodate the longer time @ high temps. That's probably addressed in the other thread. I'd consider using a SS vessel like a corny keg, it's not expensive and it will last forever.

As to the original question, siphon with Silicone tubing as it will handle hot temps with ease.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:02 PM   #8
Rivenin
Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 122

i use this

it was about 10 bucks, i pick up the kettle and dump it into that, a little dangerous, but if you have steady hands and no valve, it's the easiest way to go about it

Coming up - Golden Promise / ADHA 529 SMaSH
Electric 120v Brutus 20

Old 09-01-2011, 08:17 PM   #9
cadarnell
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivenin View Post
i use this

it was about 10 bucks, i pick up the kettle and dump it into that, a little dangerous, but if you have steady hands and no valve, it's the easiest way to go about it
yea ... thats what I was thinking about doing .. you have no trouble with HSA I take it? .. and thanks !!

Old 09-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #10
Rivenin
Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 122

HSA is a myth i've never had any off flavors, maybe a burnt finger lol. but that's about it!

Coming up - Golden Promise / ADHA 529 SMaSH
Electric 120v Brutus 20

Quick Reply