getting the wort into the cube doing no chill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cadarnell

Reaction score
I have decided to try a no chill brew .. the only limitation I seem to have is my BK doesnt have a valve ... what's the best way for me to get the hot wort into the cube? .. could I just use a sanatised pitcher and pour it in there, or will that splash too much and perhaps cause off flavors from HSA? .. thoughts?

I had the same problem. I solved it by building a high-temperature siphon out of copper tubing, high-temp braided tubing, and a hose clamp. I think it ended up being around $20 of parts from home depot. I prime it with star san. You just have to be careful to handle it with pot holders as it will get extremely hot during the transfer.

Several issues with this thought of a "no chill brew". First, hot liquid warps the inside lining of coolers. They are meant more for cold liquids, than boiling hot liquids. Second, it will take several hours or days to get the hot wort to pitching temperatures using this method. This amount of time leaves your wort very susceptible to infection. Third, an ice bath is the most simplistic way to chill the wort down to pitching temps. If you really want to siphon hot wort, a stainless steel racking cane and silicone hose is my suggestion.

Several issues with this thought of a "no chill brew". First, hot liquid warps the inside lining of coolers. They are meant more for cold liquids, than boiling hot liquids. Second, it will take several hours or days to get the hot wort to pitching temperatures using this method. This amount of time leaves your wort very susceptible to infection. Third, an ice bath is the most simplistic way to chill the wort down to pitching temps. If you really want to siphon hot wort, a stainless steel racking cane and silicone hose is my suggestion.

If you read the thread here (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/exploring-no-chill-brewing-117111/index106.html) you'll see that most of these issues have been addressed. (You'll also see that I've been having some issues with the method myself, but that's a separate issue, hopefully.)

i will not be putting anything in a cooler at all ... it will be a HDPE water container I am going to buy at walmart .. i have read that infections using these are almost impossible to get with proper sanitation ... thanks for the thoughts on the transfer :mug:

... what's the best way for me to get the hot wort into the cube?

This was my main concern. I own a "cube cooler". Its a big blue cooler with a white lid. I have one with wheels and one without. It sounded like you were going to use the "cube" as a fermentation vessel. To each his own...

For me no chill is fine if you learn to adjust your hopping to accommodate the longer time @ high temps. That's probably addressed in the other thread. I'd consider using a SS vessel like a corny keg, it's not expensive and it will last forever.

As to the original question, siphon with Silicone tubing as it will handle hot temps with ease.

i use this
slant-funnel.jpg

it was about 10 bucks, i pick up the kettle and dump it into that, a little dangerous, but if you have steady hands and no valve, it's the easiest way to go about it

i use this
slant-funnel.jpg

it was about 10 bucks, i pick up the kettle and dump it into that, a little dangerous, but if you have steady hands and no valve, it's the easiest way to go about it

yea ... thats what I was thinking about doing .. you have no trouble with HSA I take it? .. and thanks !!

HSA is a myth :) i've never had any off flavors, maybe a burnt finger lol. but that's about it!

This was my main concern. I own a "cube cooler". Its a big blue cooler with a white lid. I have one with wheels and one without. It sounded like you were going to use the "cube" as a fermentation vessel. To each his own...

"cube" seems to be the term used for a no-chill vessel, regardless of shape or construction.

and, WRT your warnings about no chill, that's what i thought, too, but tons of people seem to be doing it with no issues whatsoever, both here and on other homebrew sites.

Rivenin said:
i use this

Are you doing full 5+ gallon boils? I was going to try the same thing, but I did a test run first to see if I could pour 5 gallons of liquid into a funnel without spilling it or burning myself, and I failed miserably (hence the copper racking cane).

yep, dumping about 6 gallons or so into the cube, can be messy, you just have to grab it right, usually my right hand is on the handle, and my left is on the opposite corner on the bottom, helps me lift and aim correctly, just have to go slowly.
if you spend like $25 you can get a weldless valve for your pot though, makes brewing WAY easier lol. i dont miss the days of lifting that pot.

HSA is really one of those boogeymen for homebrewers.....Take that worry off the table.

I keep a pair of Orka silicone oven gloves that go to my elbows in my brew box, you can even plunge you hand into boiling wort with no effects wearing them.

I uses them to move my kettle around when brewing. At the last AHC big brew day a no chill brewer borrowed mine, picked up his kettle, and with a large metal funnel poured his wort easily into is aquatainer cube.

These are the gloves.

silicone-oven-mitts.jpg

He used to use pot holders, but said he was going to get a pair of mitts like mine.

You can get metal funnels as large as 9" in diameter.

Like this one on google...

funnel1.jpg

Getting another silicone pot holder of glove would be a good idea so someone can steady the funnel while you pour...

You clearly aren't up to date on the no chill brewing info...It's been done for decades in Australia, and 2 years ago in BYO magazine John Palmer introduced it to the American Brewing scene, along with BIAB (Brew in a bag.)

That link above is a good thread on it. Any "doubts" you might have about it have been long since desputed....they were long since disputed long before we americans even heard about it...like I said it had been perfected in Australia several decades ago.

As to the "cube" we're talking about...this is it...

Aqua-Tainer-with-BPA1.jpg

The premise is that you don't need to sanitize it. You merely dump your boiling wort right into it and seal it up hot....it will steralize the container and form a vacuum in the container, protecting it...Then you either stick it in a fridge or just leave it to cool down to pitching temps on it's own, then you either rack to another fermenter, or just pitch yeast inside and ferment right in the aquatainer.

The method is great for folks who don't want to use 5-20 gallons of water to chill their wort, or where the groundwater is warm and won't really chill the wort all that fast anyway.

Dumping and sealing while boiling hot protects the wort from infection and lengthens the safety window til you can pitch the yeast. Folks have left their wort sealed for a week before even pitching the yeast with no issues.

You clearly aren't up to date on the no chill brewing info...It's been done for decades in Australia, and 2 years ago in BYO magazine John Palmer introduced it to the American Brewing scene, along with BYOB (Brew in a bag.)

That link above is a good thread on it. Any "doubts" you might have about it have been long since desputed....they were long since disputed long before we americans even heard about it...like I said it had been perfected in Australia several decades ago.

As to the "cube" we're talking about...this is it...

Aqua-Tainer-with-BPA1.jpg

The premise is that you don't need to sanitize it. You merely dump your boiling wort right into it and seal it up hot....it will steralize the container and form a vacuum in the container, protecting it...Then you either stick it in a fridge or just leave it to cool down to pitching temps on it's own, then you either rack to another fermenter, or just pitch yeast inside and ferment right in the aquatainer.

The method is great for folks who don't want to use 5-20 gallons of water to chill their wort, or where the groundwater is warm and won't really chill the wort all that fast anyway.

Dumping and sealing while boiling hot protects the wort from infection and lengthens the safety window til you can pitch the yeast. Folks have left their wort sealed for a week before even pitching the yeast with no issues.

great info revvy ... I'm buying my cube later today .. I may check on those mits too .. thanks !!!

HSA is really one of those boogeymen for homebrewers.....Take that worry off the table.

I keep a pair of Orka silicone oven gloves that go to my elbows in my brew box, you can even plunge you hand into boiling wort with no effects wearing them.

I uses them to move my kettle around when brewing. At the last AHC big brew day a no chill brewer borrowed mine, picked up his kettle, and with a large metal funnel poured his wort easily into is aquatainer cube.

These are the gloves.

silicone-oven-mitts.jpg

He used to use pot holders, but said he was going to get a pair of mitts like mine.

Getting another silicone pot holder of glove would be a good idea so someone can steady the funnel while you pour...
Ok so Revvy where do we get the gloves?

Back