Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Gelatin Or Not?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #11
Mischief_Brewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
You make a good point about the gelatin dropping out.

Actually though - a lot of commerically produced cheese uses enzymes and not rennet these days. My SWMBO is vegetarian (has been for years and years) and we read cheese labels looking for those made with enzymes and not rennet.
Rennet! I knew I missed that one in my original post (was too lazy to look it up...).

And yes, you can find cheeses made with vegetarian enzymes, but I rarely see those in the stores around my house and can almost guarantee that the restaurants and pizza places don't use it...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2010, 06:11 PM   #12
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 309 Times on 307 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman768 View Post
Personally, if you are going for clarity, I find that you cannot beat gelatin. You don't have to crash cool either, as long as you can get the temp somewhere reasonable 60-70F. Boil a cup or so of water to sterilize, let cool to below 170F, put in 1 to 3 tsp of knox gelatin per 5 gal, let it rehydrate for 10-30min, bring back up to 170F (do NOT boil), and pour straight into the fermenter. The next day, you will have perfectly clear beer. Also, in my experience, this does not seem to hurt the head retention.
what he said, this is such an easy thing to do to make clear beer

Old 10-20-2010, 06:12 PM   #13
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

If you use gelatin to clarify and then have to move the fermenter (gently), host likely is it to cloud up again? I have a Belgian golden strong that will be 7 weeks in the primary (corny keg) this weekend and plan on putting outside, where it should get into the 40's or 50's overnight, with gelatin. Then, bottle the next morning, but I'll have to move the fermenters back inside for the bottling. Does the gelatin make the trub extra clumpy or sticky so it won't stir back up again?

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:36 PM   #14
belmontbrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Update: I used gelatin in a golden ale and a blueberry stout, and HOLY CLEAR! I racked to secondary, added gelatin, let it sit for a week at room temp. At the end, I could actually see through the glass carboy of golden ale. It didn't do much for the fruit sediment, skins, etc. in the blueberry stout, but I expect a very clear beer when those settle out in the fridge.

It was so easy, and the results were striking. I am going to gelatin every batch from now on!

Old 11-01-2010, 10:45 PM   #15
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSmooth View Post
If you use gelatin to clarify and then have to move the fermenter (gently), host likely is it to cloud up again? I have a Belgian golden strong that will be 7 weeks in the primary (corny keg) this weekend and plan on putting outside, where it should get into the 40's or 50's overnight, with gelatin. Then, bottle the next morning, but I'll have to move the fermenters back inside for the bottling. Does the gelatin make the trub extra clumpy or sticky so it won't stir back up again?
When I move my carboy after the gelatin has settled out, it stirs up a little bit but settles back out in a few minutes. I love using gelatin and use it for mostly every batch now. It's super easy and works really well. It certainly is appropriate for a Helles, however, I've never bottle conditioned while using it. I'm not sure whether it would make so much of the yeast settle out that the bottles won't carb. Does anyone have experience with this for the OP?

Old 11-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #16
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Another vote for gelatin. It cleared up my trubby Mild something fierce and it really is a breeze to use.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:03 AM   #17
belmontbrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

An afterword on the gelatin: there is one more benefit to using it.

Before, I used to have to decant my beer pretty carefully and leave about 1/4" of the bottom (beer + yeast). The two gelatin batches I made can be poured all the way. There's just a dusting of yeast on the bottom of the bottle, and it does appear to be sticky enough to not pour out with the beer. This just increased my yield by 5% or so!

I think I may buy some stock in Knox. Or maybe try some Isinglass next...

Old 11-16-2010, 04:21 AM   #18
IPAAAA
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Can you just use gelatin from the store? Never used it but isn't it kinda funky to pour in 170 degree gelatin into the fermenter?

Old 11-16-2010, 04:28 AM   #19
belmontbrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I used Knox unflavored gelatin and followed the instructions in How to Brew. One packet for two batches in about 2 cups of water. At this point, I can't remember if I let the water cool a bit or if I poured it in at 170F. In any case, a cup of water will cool down pretty fast in 5 gallons of beer. I gave it a week to settle out at room temperature.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:22 PM   #20
sco999
Recipes 

I started using gelatin about 3 batches ago. It works wonders, and my beer is crystal clear now.

Here is my process:
Batch sizes are 11.5 gallons
Primary 3-4 weeks
Thursday evening: place primary in fridge 36F-38F
Friday morning: mix 1 packet of knox gelatin with 1.5 cups of 170F spring water and "bloom" for 20 mins.
Dump in primary and give it few gentle swirls with sterilized ss spoon.
Saturday afternoon: take primary out of fridge and move to racking position
Saturday night: rack to bottling bucket with auto-siphon and bottle crystal clear beer!!!!!

P.S. I also dry hop in primary for a week with pellets, no muslin bag.

Quick Reply