Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > gelatin finings?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 05:00 AM   #321
bcryan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

You want the beer to be cold when you add the gelatin. Chill haze will form when it's cold. Adding the gelatin with remove the haze and drop the yeast. You should have crystal clear beer in a few days.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #322
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
Not sure where in the thread it suggested adding gelatin to chilled beer...but doing so will result in instantaneous coagulation of the gelatine. It needs to be mixed into room temperature beer, prior to chilling.

Think about it...liquid gelatin turns to..."jello" in the fridge.
Seems like I may have made a big error in reading the previous entries and I added the mixed gelatin/water solution to my already cold beer that has been chilled, carbonated and kegged. How big of a screw up will this be? I don't think I can safely remove the dip tubes to bend them slightly upward.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 12-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #323
mcl
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

@msa8967
That is how I normally do it and it turns out fine. Let it sit for 5 days or so and then test it. Your first pint my be a little cloudy but it should be clear from then on.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:07 PM   #324
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcl View Post
@msa8967
That is how I normally do it and it turns out fine. Let it sit for 5 days or so and then test it. Your first pint my be a little cloudy but it should be clear from then on.
Thanks for letting me know that this method will be OK. Not too sure that I would be a fan of jello flavored beer pieces.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 12-15-2012, 02:27 AM   #325
cincybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
In order for gelatin to bind with the particulates, it needs to be thoroughly blended (become one with) with the beer. This can only be done if added to room temperature beer. Adding to a chilled keg, the gelatin simply jellied up and floated.

I use one heaping tablespoon for each five-gallon batch, mixed with 6 ounces of water. (heated to dissolved and then cooled slightly).
I've only used gelatin in already chilled kegs and it's worked every time.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:55 AM   #326
DeltaRage
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Pour gelatin through full-leaf dry-hops?

I'm about a dry-hop a beer with 3oz+ of leaf hops. I suspect that this will prevent the gelatin that I pour into the carboy 3 days before bottling from getting through. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'd much prefer not to secondary just to add in the finings.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:02 AM   #327
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 254 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRage View Post
I'm about a dry-hop a beer with 3oz+ of leaf hops. I suspect that this will prevent the gelatin that I pour into the carboy 3 days before boiling from getting through. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'd much prefer not to secondary just to add in the finings.
I wouldn't leave gelatin in the fermenter for 3 days before boiling the wort!!! Probably wont work too well.

Add the gelatin before the hops; same day is OK.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:18 AM   #328
DeltaRage
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
I wouldn't leave gelatin in the fermenter for 3 days before boiling the wort!!! Probably wont work too well.

Add the gelatin before the hops; same day is OK.
Sorry, I meant "bottling," not "boiling." You don't foresee a problem adding the gelatin at the same time as adding the dry hops? Can one therefore add gelatin any time after fermentation, regardless of the dry-hopping schedule?

Thanks

Old 12-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #329
BrewerDon
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I keep seeing posts quoted in this thread where some are saying that you MUST add the gelatin at room temperature. This is not true. Adding at room temperature may work but you don't have to warm up the beer to add gelatin.

In fact, in the book New Lager Brewing, Greg Noonan says it is best to add gelatin at a temperature UNDER 50 degrees and that closer to freezing is even better.

I have always done it this way and the beer clears up incredibly well. The Gelatin does NOT turn to Jello as some here have been warning. Perhaps people have had issues because they added the gelatin at cooler temperatures but didn't follow the other instructions. Here is what Greg Noonan says:

For a 5 gallon batch of beer, add 5 grams of gelatin to 10 ounces of water, cover it, and let it sit for an hour (to bloom). Then, gently heat it up and stir to dissolve the gelatin. Heat to 150 - 160. Do not go over 160 degrees. Then, do not let the gelatin cool to under 120 degrees before adding it to your beer. In other words, the gelatin solution should be between 120 and 160 degrees when you add it to your beer and mix it in. Mix it into the beer gently for 2 to 3 minutes.

I stir mine into the carboy with a sanitized racking cane. You can also gently rock the carboy. I keep saying gently because you don't want to add oxygen to your beer.

Like I said, this works extremely well. I've done it with a cloudy Kolsch yeast and it cleared it right up. No floating Jello. Just beautiful, clear beer.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:17 PM   #330
RmikeVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967 View Post
I read through the first dozen pages of this thread but could not find an answer to my particular question regarding adding gelatin to kegged beer. I have 6 kegs that I naturally carbonated with corn sugar several months ago. I placed the kegs in my attached garage that stays around 40F. I am wanting to know if adding gelatin to the kegs after they have been chilled for 24 hours will do any thing at this point in the process to clear the beer. Any thoughts?
I used to do this, it works great. I believe it is preferable to add gelatin to already cooled beer. You will lose some CO2 because you have to blow off the pressue to open the corny and dump in the gelatin.

Quick Reply