Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > gelatin finings?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #311
LateraLex
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
In order for gelatin to bind with the particulates, it needs to be thoroughly blended (become one with) with the beer. This can only be done if added to room temperature beer. Adding to a chilled keg, the gelatin simply jellied up and floated.

I use one heaping tablespoon for each five-gallon batch, mixed with 6 ounces of water. (heated to dissolved and then cooled slightly).
When you add it, do you just gently dump it in - or try to give it a stir?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #312
dankbeer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateraLex

When you add it, do you just gently dump it in - or try to give it a stir?
I slowly poured the gelatin water mixture into the fermentor. And gently rocked the fermentor to mix it up. I'm brewing with 6 gallon carboys so rocking the carboy works well for mixing.

Cheers!

Old 09-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #313
buckeyebrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hello, I just added Gelatin to my pumpkin beer last night and due to time constraints I will have to bottle this evening. Do you think bottling this soon after adding the gelatin will make adding the gelatin for clarifying puposes pointless? Thanks

Old 09-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #314
mirogster
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

2 or few more days would really make big difference. But if you cant't wait Most probably it will clear in the bottles, and you'll finish with jelly sediment. And yeah, bottle carb will take a little bit longer, than usual

Old 10-02-2012, 02:36 AM   #315
Jukas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I tried adding a heated (per BM's instructions) gelatin/water mixture directly to the keg and then racking an IPA on top of it, hit the keg with co2 and then let it sit for a few days at room temp.

Not only did it not clear the beer, but it stripped all the hop aroma from the beer. Only thing I can guess is that A) the beer should have been cold B) the gelatin mix cooled down too much as the beer was racking. If it's normal for gelatin to strip off hop aroma, I doubt I'll use it again as I lean towards hoppy beers.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #316
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
I tried adding a heated (per BM's instructions) gelatin/water mixture directly to the keg and then racking an IPA on top of it, hit the keg with co2 and then let it sit for a few days at room temp.

Not only did it not clear the beer, but it stripped all the hop aroma from the beer. Only thing I can guess is that A) the beer should have been cold B) the gelatin mix cooled down too much as the beer was racking. If it's normal for gelatin to strip off hop aroma, I doubt I'll use it again as I lean towards hoppy beers.
Gelatin does not affect aroma. It is not an "aroma scrubber". It is totally flavor and aroma neutral and has no capacity to neutralize aroma.

No doubt your beer became substantially less aromatic when chilled, compared to room temperature. (Ice cold beer never has the same flavor or aroma profile as a beer served at temps appropriate for the style.)

With a proper pour and if allowed to sit for a few minutes (to warm slightly), the aroma should come back.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #317
Matteo57
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Is there any reason I couldn't throw the bit of water and disolved geletin into the primary, stir that up a tad and let sit a few days and then rack off there? I normally don't do a secondary unless it's a big beer I want to age!

Thanks!

Old 10-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #318
Jukas
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
Gelatin does not affect aroma. It is not an "aroma scrubber". It is totally flavor and aroma neutral and has no capacity to neutralize aroma.

No doubt your beer became substantially less aromatic when chilled, compared to room temperature. (Ice cold beer never has the same flavor or aroma profile as a beer served at temps appropriate for the style.)

With a proper pour and if allowed to sit for a few minutes (to warm slightly), the aroma should come back.
BM, I wouldn't have thought gelatin would effect aroma, however this IPA had that awesome massive hop aroma as I racked it to the keg, and absolutely nothing now. Gelatin is the only change to the process I've made.

I keep my kegerator at 40F and let half a pint sit to room temp last night. It still had zero hop aroma, and actually smelled malty. At this point I'll probably pop the keg and toss a few more oz of hops in to re-dry hop it.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:20 AM   #319
Chesterbelloc
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Seriously, Knox gelatin is the way to go.

Add it to a keg along with priming sugar and sit back and wait. Crystal clear and carbonated to my liking everytime.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:48 AM   #320
msa8967
mickaweapon

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 79

I read through the first dozen pages of this thread but could not find an answer to my particular question regarding adding gelatin to kegged beer. I have 6 kegs that I naturally carbonated with corn sugar several months ago. I placed the kegs in my attached garage that stays around 40F. I am wanting to know if adding gelatin to the kegs after they have been chilled for 24 hours will do any thing at this point in the process to clear the beer. Any thoughts?

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Quick Reply