Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > gelatin finings?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2012, 10:25 PM   #291
stikks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResumeMan View Post
So what exactly does "hydrate and bloom" mean in this context? I've been following BM's and others' procedures so I guess I'm letting it "bloom" but I don't really know what that means...

So is something in particular supposed to happen to indicate that it is blooming? Or do you just wait a bit after adding to the warm water, and then go from there?
I use gelatin on occasion depending on what I`m looking for in the finished
product (which style of brew).I think what is meant by blooming is dissolve.
When you heat it up to about 180 you will see a clear film on top of the
water that you hydrated it in.That means it is dissolved.After I see that
I cool to room temp and add it to my secondary after racking off primary.
That is just my technique,others may differ.

Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #292
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
It is vital to mix with preheated (nearly but not quite boiling) water and let it completely dissolve.

Without this step, the gelatin is not soluble and has no chance of doing it's job properly. The gelatin you added was probably to cool beer and it just fell straight to the bottom of the keg.

If you're going to go straight to the keg with gelatin, prepare for a deeper yeast cake. I took my dip tubes out and gave them a sharper bend so they were about 1/2 inch off the bottom.
Biermuncher, did you do this so that the dip tube sucks the beer from above the yeast/gelatin cake at the bottom? or is this done so that it sucks all of the junk out of the keg first and then all that is left is good beer?

Thanks

Old 06-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #293
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 578 Times on 340 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sippin37 View Post
Biermuncher, did you do this so that the dip tube sucks the beer from above the yeast/gelatin cake at the bottom? or is this done so that it sucks all of the junk out of the keg first and then all that is left is good beer?

Thanks
I shorten my tubes (by bending or cutting if they're straight) so they rest about 1/2 - 3/4 inch above the bottom. It equates to less than a half pint, but assures that the tube is clear of that thin layer of yeast sediment that compacts very tightly due to the cold.

Because of the compact nature of the yeast cake, one or two initial draws of beer won't "suck it clean" as many people suggest.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #294
Sippin37

Recipes 

Okay that makes sense, thanks for clarifying. I'm going to give it a go and I'll post the results back here in a few weeks.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:04 AM   #295
wcrooker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sippin37
Okay that makes sense, thanks for clarifying. I'm going to give it a go and I'll post the results back here in a few weeks.
Ha! Pun intended?

Old 06-05-2012, 03:25 AM   #296
Sippin37

Recipes 

Nope! Haha

Old 06-06-2012, 07:19 AM   #297
johns
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I have some really cloudy beer and it has been advised that I use gelatin to clarify. This is what I have done.

I took the recommended amount of gelatin (cant remember the amount but its on the package) and poured about 17 oz of water onto it. Then I heated it until it dissolved, then I added it to the keg, stirred with my plastic aerator/stir stick that fits on the end of my drill. I did this after crashing the keg for about 18 hours or so at about 35 or 40 degrees (guessing). This was done on Monday and after pouring small amounts every day to see the clarity of the beer, I can say that its still cloudy.

So, my mistake is that I think that I should have let the gelatin sit out longer and let it cool a bit before pitching into the keg. I have not looked into the keg recently, but I will do so in a few days. Maybe I should have pitched the gelatin slurry onto the keg at room temperature?

Anyway, yes I have read this whole thread and my conclusion was as stated above. I should have let the hot gelatin cool a bit before pitching. If I open the keg and see a layer of Jello on top that I believe that was the mistake. I am just looking for reaffirmation, because this was my first kegging experience, and my second batch. My first batch was more clear then this batch. On this batch I used White labs Ale yeast, and my last batch was a honey nut brown from a brand name.

I know home brewers that brew with out and type of clarifying agents and their beer always comes out crystal clear. Could they be too ashamed to admit that they are using it without my knowledge or are they just kick ass brewers? I kinda think they just really know what they are doing.

As a side note I have a home made wort-chiller that is 3/8s by 50 feet long. I thought that it would be excellent for making super clear beer.......I guess I was mistaken and a bit disappointed.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #298
cincybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Sounds to me like you did it correctly. Two days is not enough time to see if it clears. Give it a few more days without pulling any samples and I'm sure it will be clearer. I think in this thread it says it works better if the beer is at room temperature but I've always done it in a cold keg and it works great. I also don't think it matters too much if you cool the gelatin. You'll be pouring it onto 5 gallons of cold beer. That will cause the gelatin to cool quickly and won't effect the temp of the beer.

As for getting clear beer, gelatin helps a lot and can cure a lot of problems. But there is a lot that goes into getting a clear beer. Many don't use gelatin and get clear beers. Using a wort chiller, irish moss, cold crashing, hot break (I think?), etc all contribute to clear beers. Oh, and patience. I usually just dump my trub into the fermenter with the hops and all but I let my beer ferment for a minimum of 3-4 weeks.

If you have only brewed a few batches then just have some patience. Your beer will get better and clearer with every batch...If not, create a thread on this forum and describe your process and some "experts" will help you out.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:53 AM   #299
OcularTrauma
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincybrewer View Post
As for getting clear beer, gelatin helps a lot and can cure a lot of problems. But there is a lot that goes into getting a clear beer. Many don't use gelatin and get clear beers. Using a wort chiller, irish moss, cold crashing, hot break (I think?), etc all contribute to clear beers. Oh, and patience. I usually just dump my trub into the fermenter with the hops and all but I let my beer ferment for a minimum of 3-4 weeks.
I do this as well. I usually leave my beer in primary for at least one month before I keg or bottle and it almost always comes out crystal clear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincybrewer View Post
If you have only brewed a few batches then just have some patience. Your beer will get better and clearer with every batch...If not, create a thread on this forum and describe your process and some "experts" will help you out.
The only time I use gelatin is when I get impatient. Patience is a virtue... this is non more true than brewing beer! I get all cranked up about 10 day ferments and force carbonating, but I've never met a homebrew that didn't benefit from at least a month of aging.

Having said all that, I've been using gelatin in the primary since batch #6 and I always get good results! Thanks to everyone who has added their knowledge to this thread!

Ferm1: BrandonO Graff [5g]
Ferm2: M/T
Ferm3: M/T
Bottled: Saison de Noel
Kegged:Chocolate Milk Stout, Yooper/Jamil California Common, Simple hard cider w/WLP775 (resting)

Old 08-10-2012, 02:35 PM   #300
kickrjason
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Subbed

Tap#1 Summer Saison
Tap#2 Amarillo Pale Ale

Primary English Mild
Secondary -Vanilla Chai Mead

Kegged Haüs Hefeweisen #4, Speckled Heifer Cream Ale
Bottled - Cherry Oatmeal Stout, Burbon Vanilla Oatmeal Stout, Blueberry Hefeweisen, Stubborn Baby Pale Ale,

Quick Reply