Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > gelatin finings?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #221
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 16

If you naturally prime a keg with dextrose, would you add knox gelatin once you put the keg into the kegerator? My kegerator is full right now, so I have a keg that was primed with dextrose ready in about a week. Obviously, I would have to open the top to pour the gelatin in.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #222
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 190 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewThruYou View Post
If you naturally prime a keg with dextrose, would you add knox gelatin once you put the keg into the kegerator? My kegerator is full right now, so I have a keg that was primed with dextrose ready in about a week. Obviously, I would have to open the top to pour the gelatin in.
The English method is to add the finings and priming sugar at the same time, but you could certainly add the gelatin after priming (you will lose some carbonation though).

Last night I added 2 tsp of Knox to a partially carbed keg of Czech Pils. I'm not normally a clear-beer-snob, but this one is for the Urquell competition coming up in a month.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 07-16-2011, 02:56 AM   #223
tonyolympia
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock

The English method is to add the finings and priming sugar at the same time, but you could certainly add the gelatin after priming (you will lose some carbonation though).
I just purchased a package of Brewcraft gelatin powder. The instructions state to dissolve 1 tsp in a half pint of water, warm until dissolved, and stir into beer at priming or kegging.

I bottle, I don't normally secondary, and I don't really like to cold crash because the big pot I use for cold crashing makes it difficult to see into my carboy, so I end up severely disturbing the yeast cake with my racking cane, which seems to defeat the purpose. Finally, I'd prefer not to add gelatin to my primary because I want to wash this cake of yeast.

Following Brewcraft's instructions to the letter, you'd think I could avoid all that stuff I don't want to do by just racking from primary into my bottling bucket, adding the priming sugar solution and gelatin solution at the same time, and bottling.

Does anyone have experience with doing it both ways? I.e., the easy way described above, and the more involved way, with a cold crash in secondary? Does the more involved way deliver noticeably better results?

Old 07-16-2011, 04:33 AM   #224
Mdessert
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok so I've used Knox gelatin as per biermunchers instruction on a 5 gal APA and it worked better than I had hoped.

I want to use it on a 1 gal batch that I'm playing with and would like to know if anyone has suggestions for scaling it down for this size batch. I have to do this tonight so...a little help please.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:11 PM   #225
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdessert View Post
Ok so I've used Knox gelatin as per biermunchers instruction on a 5 gal APA and it worked better than I had hoped.

I want to use it on a 1 gal batch that I'm playing with and would like to know if anyone has suggestions for scaling it down for this size batch. I have to do this tonight so...a little help please.
Add 1/5th of what worked for you with 5 gallons, I would imagine.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:16 PM   #226
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 190 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyolympia View Post
Does anyone have experience with doing it both ways? I.e., the easy way described above, and the more involved way, with a cold crash in secondary? Does the more involved way deliver noticeably better results?
You will get clear beer adding it at priming, but you'll end up with a pretty fat layer of yeast at the bottom of each bottle. FYI there are a few people earlier in this thread who didn't have an issue washing their yeast after using gelatin.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 07-30-2011, 06:03 PM   #227
guinnessface
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry for the pun, but can anyone clarify how clear the beer becomes after adding gelatin? Are we talking no sediment, or "macrobrew crystal clear?" I've tried to add KC finings for less than impressive results. Every time I keg, my beer is opaque until the last 1/2 gallon or so....usually after sitting a month in the keg...then it's clear as can be. Am I to assume that gelatin will speed this process up? I'm using a 7 gal conical, so I usually skip secondary.....can I just add the gelatin to the conical after a few weeks and let it sit for another week or so? Can I get good results without a cold crash? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:12 PM   #228
EricCSU
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessface
Sorry for the pun, but can anyone clarify how clear the beer becomes after adding gelatin? Are we talking no sediment, or "macrobrew crystal clear?" I've tried to add KC finings for less than impressive results. Every time I keg, my beer is opaque until the last 1/2 gallon or so....usually after sitting a month in the keg...then it's clear as can be. Am I to assume that gelatin will speed this process up? I'm using a 7 gal conical, so I usually skip secondary.....can I just add the gelatin to the conical after a few weeks and let it sit for another week or so? Can I get good results without a cold crash? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
I could read a book through the beer. Even the dry hopped ones. Does that answer your question?

Eric

Kegged: Belgian Dark Strong (8.9%abv)

Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone, BCS Dry stout

Planned: Rye IPA, ESB, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Rye Amber

Can You Brew It Recipe Database
Convert an all grain recipe to extract
Hop Substitution Chart

Old 07-30-2011, 06:54 PM   #229
Paulasaurus
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCSU View Post
I could read a book through the beer. Even the dry hopped ones. Does that answer your question?

Eric
I'll echo Erics response . Half packet of knox gelatin prepped and poured in the keg as it goes into the kegerator and on gas. Dispense a pint 2-3 days later. 2 week wait for it to fully carb and age a little and 3rd or 4th pint is crystal clear just like EricCSU says.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:32 PM   #230
tonyolympia
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

I asked this question in another thread, but never got a response: if you want to use gelatin finings in primary, but you also planned to add spices or dry hop in the primary, should the gelatin be added before or after the spices/hops?

I would normally add gelatin at the very end, two days or so before packaging, but I worry that if I add the gelatin after the spices or hops, it will strip away the effect of the flavor/aroma additions.

Quick Reply