Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > gelatin finings?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2009, 08:52 PM   #121
HalfPint
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm going to try this on my brown ale today. Thanks for the good info guys!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2009, 04:55 AM   #122
Jud
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ok you all have sold me on this I will be going to the store in the morning to get some gelatin. I have a Brown Ale in secondary that just refuses to clear. It was my firt all grain, and it will be sweet to hand the guys a kick a$$ Brown Ale! It was a relief to hear about the IPA coming out great, I will use it on my Pale Ale then as well. Thanks for the great information.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:29 AM   #123
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 62

I'd just like to point out how spectacular gelatin is as a fining! We had a punkin' ale (actually tastes a LOT like a DFH Punkin' clone, ask for recipe if you want to try it out) sitting for 21 days and was still unbelievably hazy! Followed BM's instructions and racked on top of gelatin in secondary. Over night it looked like a completely different beer with a gorgeous super-dense packed cake at the bottom. We let it sit for the rest of that day and racked to a keg the following afternoon. I have some crappy phone pictures but I just had to share. When the beer is properly chilled and carbed I'll post the final product. Gelatin far exceeded my expectations even after reading this entire thread. I'm hooked!

CRAZY HAZY!

....even in tiny amounts...

My phone camera isn't even that bad... this just gives you an idea of how terribly hazy it was. Racking to secondary...

Not even 48 hours later, racking to the keg. This picture really doesn't convey the clarity properly. It really is quite crystal...

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 11-12-2009, 09:22 AM   #124
sunblock
Recipes 

ok, i am sold on this and have a batch i want to clear by the weekend so no time fore experimatation on my part. I have been through the thread and do not quite see a direct answer to this..

what effect does the temperature of your beer have on adding the gelatin? I can add it to my secondary and let it sit 24 hours and cold crash, or go ahead and cold crash and add the gelatin to the cold beer???

some mention adding it to kegs, but which way, warm beer vs cold beer would the gelatin do its job faster?

UPDATE : added the gelatin to a room temp carboy following BM's method. Then placed in the fridge for cold crashing. hopefully this will do the trick.

Last edited by sunblock; 11-12-2009 at 02:17 PM.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:18 PM   #125
CalmYourself
Recipes 

If you don't secondary, can yousimply add it to primary after say 3 weeks?

Primary: Nothing
On Tap: Cream of 3 Crops Ale

http://nochillbrews.blogspot.com/

Old 11-12-2009, 04:38 PM   #126
Alemental
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunblock View Post
what effect does the temperature of your beer have on adding the gelatin? I can add it to my secondary and let it sit 24 hours and cold crash, or go ahead and cold crash and add the gelatin to the cold beer???

some mention adding it to kegs, but which way, warm beer vs cold beer would the gelatin do its job faster?

UPDATE : added the gelatin to a room temp carboy following BM's method. Then placed in the fridge for cold crashing. hopefully this will do the trick.
It is best to prechill the beer as much as possible. In cold temps, the proteins come together and form larger particles. (chill haze, for instance) The larger bits are more easily settled out.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:26 PM   #127
sunblock
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alemental View Post
It is best to prechill the beer as much as possible. In cold temps, the proteins come together and form larger particles. (chill haze, for instance) The larger bits are more easily settled out.
Thx for the info. I added 1 tablespoon of knox, following BM's advice to the room temp secondary and then immediately crashed in the fridge. A little over 24 hours and I racked the clearest beer I have ever made into the keg. It may help that I used 1/2 a whirloc too. I had no jello sludge in the bottom of the secondary so 1 tablespoon did not seem like overkill to me either.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:54 PM   #128
CottageGroveBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Wow, can't wait to try this. I have forgot the irish moss a couple of time and just settled with cloudy beer. Great post and thanks to all.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:15 AM   #129
Doc Robinson
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I added the gelatin to my keg before racking on top of it. I swear to god I can both taste it and smell it in the beer I pull off it. Gelatin smells horrible when bringing it to pasteurization (dirty cow hooves). Is the taste & smell all in my head?

From Wiki: Gelatin (from French gélatine) is a translucent, colorless, odorless, brittle, nearly tasteless solid substance, derived from the collagen inside animals' skin and bones.

Last edited by Doc Robinson; 11-28-2009 at 11:22 AM.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:34 AM   #130
Alemental
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRobinson View Post
I swear to god I can both taste it and smell it in the beer I pull off it. Gelatin smells horrible when bringing it to pasteurization (dirty cow hooves). Is the taste & smell all in my head?
It may well be in your head. I have never noticed the smell/taste myself. Of course, maybe I am not sensitive to that flavor. I'll be transferring a batch later today that used gelatin; I'll scrutinize a sample and see if I can detect anything. It's a small session beer so off flavors shouldn't be too hidden.

Quick Reply