Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > gelatin finings?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2009, 01:24 AM   #111
MBM30075
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

What's more effective, Irish Moss or gelatin?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #112
troutrvr32208
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
Trust me:
  • I use a Tbs per five gallons
  • I let the powder sit for 10 minutes to slightly dissolve.
  • I heat the mix over medium heat for about 5-7 minutes until the gelatin completely disappears...never letting it boil.

If you do this, it will work just fine.

I want to try the gelatin for the first time. I tried crash cooling Centennial Blond and its still to cloudy in carboy. My question to you is can I add the mixture (your directions) to cold brew as I rack to keg?

Old 09-14-2009, 01:22 AM   #113
indianaroller
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Gelatin in the keg works great. After three days pour two pints of sludge and the rest will be crystal clear.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:43 PM   #114
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBM30075 View Post
I used both Whirfloc (similar to Irish Moss) and gelatin in my Yakima Blonde
Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Old 09-14-2009, 02:02 PM   #115
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBM30075 View Post
You can't compare Irish Moss and gelatin. Both do different things to the beer, and are used at different points in the process. Irish Moss is a kettle fining. For simplicity, it coagulates proteins and helps form a better cold break. I prefer whirlfloc. It usually produces a crystal clear wort.

Gelatin is a cold side fining. The gelatin aids in yeast flocculation and can precipitate out some other haze issues in the final beer.

Some people find that using a product like Whirlfloc creates a clear beer. In case it doesn't, gelatin, other finings, or even filtering (which all do slightly different things) will help clarity.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:18 PM   #116
mitch171
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I read through this thread and I have a question that was only slightly addressed. I read that for a heff flavor was lost. I am thinking about using this on my Belgin Pumpkin Ale, but I do not want to lose spice flavor. I would rather have a hazy or cloudy beer than lose spice. Has anyone used this on a spice beer and seen a negative decrease in flavor other than what would happen over time anyway?

Old 09-23-2009, 12:12 AM   #117
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch171 View Post
I read through this thread and I have a question that was only slightly addressed. I read that for a heff flavor was lost. I am thinking about using this on my Belgin Pumpkin Ale, but I do not want to lose spice flavor. I would rather have a hazy or cloudy beer than lose spice. Has anyone used this on a spice beer and seen a negative decrease in flavor other than what would happen over time anyway?
I think it all depends on WHEN you add spice and how often. I plan to use whirfloc as well as gelatin in my pumpkin ale this time around. You could always add a spice tea before you keg or bottle to make sure certain spices stand out. In my case, i used WLP002 which Flocculates like a Ninja! , so it was pretty clear. I assume that you are using belgian yeast?
Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Old 09-23-2009, 01:03 AM   #118
cyberbackpacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch171 View Post
I've used it on my winterfest which is spiced with clove, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg. It had both some boil additions, as well as in the primary once OG had been achieved. Gelatin was added, set for two days, then cold crashed.

Beer was crystal clear and there was absolutely no evidence of decreased spice flavor. In fact I just had one in July (Eight months in bottles) and the spice flavors were still quite evident... not "mellowed" but more "melded".

Bottom line: use it, but make sure your fermentation is complete. My $0.02

-Kevin
cyberbackpacker

Trinke Das Bier Das Du Gebraut Hast

Old 09-23-2009, 02:23 AM   #119
mitch171
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks so much for a quick reply. I am thinking of putting it in the keg tomorrow I will probably add the gelatin when I do so. I want to get it in the keg and away from any oxygen because I only have a bucket so some air was contacting and I got a little bit of a film so I will do the cold fining in the keg.

Thanks again for the input.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:04 PM   #120
jhonda00
Recipes 

My questions is can I still wrangle those yeasts on the bottom of my secondary if I add gelatin? Also, I'm in the process of building my kegerator and have a Belgian White sitting in the secondary for about three weeks and I'm planning to let it sit in there for another week or until I get my kegerator parts in the mail. Do yall think this is a good time for me to try the gelatin out? I think it would be a cool experiment to have a clear White beer.

I think, therfore I drink.

Last edited by jhonda00; 09-28-2009 at 08:08 PM.

Quick Reply