Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Gelatin Finings?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #11
jethro55
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtr6188 View Post
Has anyone used this to clarify the beer before bottling? Does it actually clear up the beer at all?

Yep - I have used it a few times. Really clears it up. Prepare it like Nanoman says and you'll have no problem. About two cups water and 1 pack of Knox for 5 gallons works for me. I let mine sit for 15 minutes before adding it, but not longer. I have not cold crashed afterwards - it does the job for me at room temperature in 2 or 3 days.

Civilization begins with Beer !

Primary: nothing in the pipeline at the moment
Secondary: some summer beers are imperative
Bottled: Nut Brown, Listermann's Cream Ale, American Pale Ale, Holiday Ale, HopNog, Honey Malt Cream Ale, Irish Stout, English Brown Ale, BIAB English Ale, India Black Ale, Bengal Juice, BIAB Cherry Wheat on the cherries, Belgian Pale Ale, Island Hefe on Mango, Island Hefe on Apricot (and dang -these are awesome beers)

Next Up: Hop farming

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 11:15 PM   #12
Avocet
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I use Knox gelatin when I cold crash. It "sinks" the loose hops I use when dry hopping after 3-4 days. I use about 10-12 oz off water and a half package of gelatin---careful not to boil but to let it get hot enough to be gin clean. Let it cool-pour in already chilled carboy (I'm maybe a day into cold crash now) and once it's in I spin the carboy around a bit.

To be honest-I'm drinking a Cal Common I made (and dry hopped half oz Northern Brewer) and I'm thinking about it being TOO hoppy so I don't think the gelatin took too much of the hops away. But it is as clear as any commercial beer you would ever find.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #13
NanoMan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Gelatine works on proteins and yeast. I don't think recall that it affects dissolved iso-alpha acids. Don't you could pull bitterness out using it (or any other post kettle fining agent). You would have to brew a less hoppy batch and blend.

Cheers!

NanoMan

Quick Reply