Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Gelatin finings

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
beertroll
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default Gelatin finings

I've been working on improving the clarity of my beers, and between cold crashing and paying attention to water chemistry and mash pH I've seen a massive improvement. I think I'm about 90% of the way to where I want my beers to be. I picked up some gelatin finings to see if it gives me that last little bit of clarity. To get the best results, when should I add the gelatin? It will be going into a DIPA that has finished fermenting but has not yet been cold crashed or dry-hopped. I'm thinking that the gelatin would be most effective if I add it a day or two before I start crashing, and then dry hop after the yeast has settled out. Is this the best approach?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Gelatin is usually more effective if added into the beer after it is already at a cold temperature. So crash the beer to cold temperature, add the gelatin, wait 2-3 days for the gelatin to settle, add hops. Bear in mind sometimes a heavy dry hop will cloud your beer up a bit again. If you are really adamant about the clarity you can do the gelatin after dry hopping. It can pull a small amount of the dry hop aroma down with it when it clarifies, but that becomes a recipe adjustment of adding enough dry hop to compensate.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 08-15-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
beertroll
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Thanks. That's good information.

Quick Reply