The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Gelatin-Bottle Conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2007, 01:22 PM   #11
willie_okt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I was wondering if this would happen if I add Gelatin or KC Supercleer at room temps.....when I bottle and eventually chill the beer, would the chill haze be more of a factor because I didn't crash the secondary first?

Sorry for all the follow-up Q's. I took a reading last night and it's the 2nd day the SG is unchanged. I actually drank the beer in the hydometer tube and it was really, REALLY good. That's why I'm trying so hard to get some clarity.....you know, to impress the friends.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2007, 01:49 PM   #12
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_okt
I was wondering if this would happen if I add Gelatin or KC Supercleer at room temps.....when I bottle and eventually chill the beer, would the chill haze be more of a factor because I didn't crash the secondary first?

Sorry for all the follow-up Q's. I took a reading last night and it's the 2nd day the SG is unchanged. I actually drank the beer in the hydometer tube and it was really, REALLY good. That's why I'm trying so hard to get some clarity.....you know, to impress the friends.
USe the gelatin in the secondary and this is what your beer looks like:

happyfri_4.jpg

I know two things:

A) Gelatin does not require cold to do it's thing in the secondary. I don't know the specifics, but it is the positive electrial charge that gelatin posseses that causes particulants and proteins to bind and fall...and hs nothing to do with the cold "gelling" effect.

2) If you use gelatin, prepare for a substantially longer bottle conditioning time. I did an experiment a few weeks back by saving off a bottle as I racked to a keg, added a 1/4 tsp of corn sugar and set aside to condition at 70 degrees. At the 3 week mark, the beer had developed some yeast sediment, but when chilled and opened, had the kind of carbonation I would have expected at only 7-10 days.

I think another 2 weeks and it would have been fine.

This is a pic of the 2ndary carboys after only 24 hours with gelatin. Notice the reflection in the mirror and how clear this beer is.

clearboy_3.jpg

~Add gelatin to the secondary.
~Prepare for a lengthy, 4-5 week bottle conditioning at 70-72 degrees.
~Prepare to have the bottles chilled for at least 10 days prior to serving so you can move past the chill haze phase.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:54 PM   #13
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I've always added the gelatin when I was bottling, or now kegging. Lack of Carbonation has not been an issue. Now I let the kegs sit for a week or so at room temp to carbonate and them move them to the fridge. I've got clear beer within a week.

BierMuncher is correct. Gelling is not important, and would actually decrease it's efficiency. The dissolved gelatin (collagen) has both positive and negative charges on it. These sites will attract other proteins - both other collagen molecules and the haze causing proteins too - just like the opposite poles of a magnet are attracted to one another. Actually, any molecule - or atom - will bind to the collagen. If you added salt, not that one would, it would also bind to the collagen and reduce its efficiency.

The net result is like the classic cartoon snowball rolling down the hill and getting bigger and bigger. Eventually you get enough proteins of all type binding to one another that the clump gets to be big enough to settle out. The clumping will definitely occour faster at warmer temperatures, but the drawback is that at warmer temperatures, the clump needs to be bigger to get it to settle out. That is why I like to have it be at room temp for a couple of days and then chill.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:27 PM   #14
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

To clarify (pun somewhat intended), I like to add the gelatin at the same time I drop the temperature to crash. That has worked very well in the past.

TL

Old 09-27-2007, 03:29 PM   #15
willie_okt
Recipes 

Whew! So let me summarize....What I am gathering is that if I transfer to the secondary on SAturday, add gelatin, leave at cellar temp and bottle in a week?

Give it 2-3 weeks to bottle condition and enjoy? chill haze shouldn't be much of a factor?

Old 09-27-2007, 03:36 PM   #16
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Yep, if everything works out right. If it doesn't all work out right in a couple weeks, it will in the end. Such is homebrewing!

TL

Old 09-27-2007, 06:29 PM   #17
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 22

To further summarize, you can add it pretty much whenever you want as long as the bulk of the fermentation is done. Warm or cold, it will do the job. If you add it in secondary, the only caution is that it may slow down carbonation if you go the natural route. Add it at a time that is convenient for you. Everybody's system/set-up is different.

Quick Reply