Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Gelatin-Bottle Conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2007, 06:54 PM   #1
willie_okt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Gelatin-Bottle Conditioning

Hi all-

I'm about ready to rack my Oktoberfest Ale into the secondary. WAs gonna add the Gelatin for a clarifying agent.

My question, does the gelatin strip all of the yeast out, so that bottle fermentation is tough?

I'm interested in hearing people's opinions who still bottle condition.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2007, 07:02 PM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 1

No, it doesn't strip all the yeast out.

However, you really s hould get your brew cold first then add the gelatin for at least overnight. It should be cold the entire time.

Once you rack off the gelatin just do as you normally would for the bottle.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:05 PM   #3
willie_okt
Recipes 

I was thinking (due to time constraints) that I would rack into the secondary, add the gelatin and leave it sit for a week before bottling....is this ok?

Old 09-26-2007, 07:20 PM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

No, that's not a good idea. Have you ever made Jell-O at room temp? It stays in the liquid form.

Gelatin REQUIRES cold to gel and settles out faster.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:27 PM   #5
willie_okt
Recipes 

I don't have the ability to keep the beer cold now. What would you reccommend, since I forgot the irish moss additive at the end of my boil?

Old 09-26-2007, 07:33 PM   #6
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 113 Posts

i have this same problem with my irish red. i want to add the gelatin, but i also want to wash the yeast. i'm afraid i'm just going to skip the gelatin this time and have a cloudier beer. no big deal.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 09-26-2007, 07:34 PM   #7
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts

First off, I dunno what hb99 is getting at. Nothing in any of the directions for using gelatin says anything about keeping it cold. I just used it for the first time today. Wouldn't they say it on the product page or on the bottle? Hmm. Not sure now.

Secondly, if you don't wanna use gelatin, you can go with KC Superkleer. Unless you or anyone who drinks your beer is allergic to shellfish.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 09-26-2007, 07:34 PM   #8
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

The gelatin won't be ineffective, but it won't be as effective. It works by attracting other proteins until they stick together in a larger (but still very small) glob of protein that sinks a lot faster. That whole thing happens better at colder temperatures.

You can give the gelatin a try. It's cheap, it won't hurt anything, and it may help in the long run. Unless you want to spend some more money on more effective fining agents, the best thing you can do is just wait on the beer to clear. It will clear in the bottle.

The worst case scenario is that your beer isn't all that clear. Most folks don't keep homebrew around long enough for problems with stability. Next time, remember the Irish moss, that's all. In the meantime, enjoy what you have.

TL

Old 09-26-2007, 09:28 PM   #9
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I would actually argue that the best way is to let it set at room temperature with the gelatin for a couple of days for the proteins to bind to the gelatin (another protein by the way). This reaction will occur much better at warmer temperatures. You don't want the gelatin to gel up. If that happens than you loose a whole lot of potential sites to bind the the proteins you want to pull down. Once you've allowed the binding to occur, then cool it off to get the clumps to settle out.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:44 PM   #10
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
First off, I dunno what hb99 is getting at. Nothing in any of the directions for using gelatin says anything about keeping it cold. I just used it for the first time today. Wouldn't they say it on the product page or on the bottle? Hmm. Not sure now...

Secondly, if you don't wanna use gelatin, you can go with KC Superkleer. Unless you or anyone who drinks your beer is allergic to shellfish.
Well, Evan, it wouldn't be the first time someone didn't understand me.

My point was you can't make FIRM gelatin (Jell-O or Jello-O Shots) at room temp. It requires the product to be cold in order to gel/solidify. It's simple physics.

If you prefer you can use Polyclar which is very tiny plastic (PVC) beads to clear your brew.

I red pjj2ba's post (above), but can neither concur or nonconcur with either way. I just do mine cold and it's clear overnight.

If you don't have any way to get your brew cold then by all means try it at room temps.

If that doesn't work try a ceramic mug.

Last edited by homebrewer_99; 09-27-2007 at 12:47 PM.

Quick Reply