LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #11
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeergeek View Post
Add the dissolved gelatin to room temperature beer, then chill it for a few days. Adding it to pre-chilled beer will make jello blobs.
Never had that problem and I always chill my kegged beer for a few days and then add gelatin. I have read that it doesn't work unless the "chill haze" is present, which it wouldn't be if the beer is warm. YMMV

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #12
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew2enjoy View Post
Never had that problem and I always chill my kegged beer for a few days and then add gelatin. I have read that it doesn't work unless the "chill haze" is present, which it wouldn't be if the beer is warm. YMMV
This is not true. The charges on the gelatin will attract and bind to haze causing proteins (and yeast) no matter what the temperature, and whether you can see them or not. This actually works better the warmer it is.

What cold temps do is to help the agglomerations of gelatin molecules and what has bound to them to then settle out.
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 04-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #13
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1547 Times on 1098 Posts
Likes Given: 2414

I make mead (mostly JAOM), and I have found gelatin to be a magic bullet. The nasty lees are much less likely to return to solution after a minor jostling of the carboy...

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 04-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #14
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 114

I'd like to point out that if you add gelatin to your beer, you should disclose it to any vegan/vegetarian friends that you share it with! I know that pretty much none of it will make it into the glass, but some people don't like it on principle (for the same reason that most vegans won't touch Guinness due to the isinglass).

Old 04-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #15
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack View Post
I'd like to point out that if you add gelatin to your beer, you should disclose it to any vegan/vegetarian friends that you share it with! I know that pretty much none of it will make it into the glass, but some people don't like it on principle (for the same reason that most vegans won't touch Guinness due to the isinglass).
With all do respect if I'm giving something I made away (homebrew, bread, pastries or what not) if someone has an allergy, adverse reaction to, a difference in principle or religious belief with a particular "thing" it is their responsibility to imo to ask the question(s) before they consume any (homemade)product they did not make. I have many friends that I share my homemade thing with and they have friends that they may share with, I cant keep track of all of their needs. Just my $.02

Old 04-16-2012, 05:38 PM   #16
zachattack
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad67z View Post
With all do respect if I'm giving something I made away (homebrew, bread, pastries or what not) if someone has an allergy, adverse reaction to, a difference in principle or religious belief with a particular "thing" it is their responsibility to imo to ask the question(s) before they consume any (homemade)product they did not make. I have many friends that I share my homemade thing with and they have friends that they may share with, I cant keep track of all of their needs. Just my $.02
I guess I don't disagree with this, but I'd argue that in general, most people wouldn't expect an animal-based product to appear in beer. Though it does seem like anybody that would care enough (i.e. a strict vegan) would know that it's a possibility, since most of them seem to know about the use of isinglass in Guinness.

I understand your point, but I guess one of the main reasons I homebrew is to share it with people, and it doesn't seem like any extra work to say "hey, here's a 6 pack, there's a negligible amount of gelatin in there if you're worried about that type of thing." It's not about responsibility, just about being friendly. I'm being nice enough to share my beer with them, I might as well continue to be nice and disclose any ingredients that they might have a problem with.

I guess if you give out homebrew, bread, cookies, or whatever to your friends it's never a responsibility to begin with, you're being nice and doing them a favor. So why not go all the way? I'm giving beer to someone to make them happy and share something awesome with them, giving someone that avoids animal products a beer that I clarified with gelatin goes against that.

If I bring a batch of cookies into work, and they contain nuts, I leave a little sign saying there's nuts in them. I don't feel any responsibility to do so, just being nice. If I wasn't nice I wouldn't bring them cookies in the first place

To echo what you said, I mean no disrespect! Just sharing my viewpoint

Old 04-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #17
zachattack
Recipes 

OK I guess my "cookies containing nuts" analogy doesn't exactly hold up, since that's an allergy issue and not simply a dietary preference issue. So disregard that!

Old 04-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #18
kzimmer0817
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default More on Gelatin Question

I currently have to "extract w/specialty grains" kits fermenting at 68 degrees:
1. Northern Brewer Smashing Pumpkin Ale
2. B3 Stout

After 2 weeks in a 6 gal Better Bottle, I transferred the B3 Stout into a 5 gal carboy for secondary. Since my son was using my other 5 gal carboy, I decided to leave the Pumpkin Ale in the primary. Others on the forum as well as my LHBS expert advise against secondarying beers unless they're really big.

As I've sampled the Pumpkin Ale thru the valve near the bottom of the Better Bottle, I've noticed that it's incredibly cloudy. It's now been 4 weeks in the primary. The gravity was 1.012 @ 68* yesterday. The O.G. was 1.054.

Is there a way to use gelatin to make the beer look better at this point?
I plan to bottle this beer using bottling sugar.

Thanks,
Keith

Old 04-19-2012, 06:06 AM   #19
ghart999
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew2enjoy View Post
How do you add it to the chilled beer? Mix with some water first?

Also if you add to keg, do you get a clogged dip tube or anything?

Old 04-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #20
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghart999 View Post
How do you add it to the chilled beer? Mix with some water first?

Also if you add to keg, do you get a clogged dip tube or anything?
If you use poor technique you can get beer jello which could clog the dip tube.

The idea is to dissolve the gelatin and then thoroughly mix it with the beer. If you don't mix well, you could get clumps, which negates much of the action of the gelatin. The colder your beer, the more careful you have to be about the mixing.
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Quick Reply