Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > gelatin

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
mdf191
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default gelatin

Can any store bought (obviously plain seasoned) gelatin be used to clarify beer. Or is it a special kind purchased at a homebrew supply. Made a trip to the lhbs to recently to make a run just for that if i don't have to.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2010, 05:25 PM   #2
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Most of us use Knox Gelatin' you can pick it up at Wal-Mart or your local grocery.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 03-26-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

+1 above. It's usually stocked where the canning stuff is.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:40 PM   #4
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 420 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 639

Yep....Knox gelatin here also. A couple of boxes will last a long time and it's very cheap.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:53 PM   #5
mdf191
Recipes 

Can anyone give a quick run through of how to use gelatin while I am kegging?
Just want to make sure I am doing it right, wouldn't want to end up with a keg full of coagulated beer jello. I just boil a tiny bit (how much) in water then poor that into the keg...over the beer? before I rack in the beer?...

Thanks

Old 04-17-2010, 04:19 PM   #6
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You shouldn't boil the gelatin.

What I do is to rehydrate the gelatin in about 3/4 cup of water for 15 minutes and then bring up the temperature to 175f for 10 minutes and then pour into my fermenter.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 04-17-2010, 05:29 PM   #7
mdf191
Recipes 

Ok

I was going from a long primary fermentation directly into my Corny kegs. Am I stupid to be adding Gelatin the day of racking into the kegs. I originally thought it would just clear the beer and settle to the bottom of the keg. But now I am reading in other posts that people add gelatin to a fermenter and let lt sit a few days before racking and a jello sludge is left on the bottom. If I am doing this into a keg, Will I end up with a jello sludge clogging my dip tubes and what not? Or will I be ok with my current plan which is heat the jello, pour it in the keg, rack beer on top, chill, carbonate, drink. Or is it not even worth it at this point?

Old 04-17-2010, 06:51 PM   #8
skiwithg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf191 View Post
Ok

I was going from a long primary fermentation directly into my Corny kegs. Am I stupid to be adding Gelatin the day of racking into the kegs. I originally thought it would just clear the beer and settle to the bottom of the keg. But now I am reading in other posts that people add gelatin to a fermenter and let lt sit a few days before racking and a jello sludge is left on the bottom. If I am doing this into a keg, Will I end up with a jello sludge clogging my dip tubes and what not? Or will I be ok with my current plan which is heat the jello, pour it in the keg, rack beer on top, chill, carbonate, drink. Or is it not even worth it at this point?
While others have good results with that approach. Personally I would do 2 things differently:
1. Transfer the beer to the keg and allow to cool for a day or 2. This will allow chill haze to develop (if its going to). The gelatin will remove chill haze, but the chill haze has to be there to get removed.
2. Gelatin (and other finings) work by attracting haze particle such as yeast & proteins into larger clumps. The larger the clump, the faster gravity will settle them out Stokes Law). Thus, if you add to gelatin on top of the beer, it will gather the particles that cause the haze on its way through the beer to the bottom of the keg. As a rule, I do this in an corny before carbonation and then transfer to a serving keg and force carbonate.

As mentioned, others have disagreed with both points. But, from what I have read and tips from other brewers, both points will yield better results. My experience bears that out.

I have used gelatin in the serving keg with no problems. I can't say the same for dry hopping in a serving keg -- I clogged the snot out the dip tube the one and only time I tired that!

Cheers,
Glenn

Old 04-22-2010, 02:29 AM   #9
incutrav
Recipes 

I searched a ton of gelatin posts for the answer to my question, no avail. I put 1/2 packet of Knox in 1 cup cold water. let it sit for a bit. then heated it up, and it just started to boil so i pulled it off and cooled it. i dumped it into my keg, but the entire bottom of the pot was covered in the gelatin substance it looked like. Did i get ANY gelatin actually into my beer? Should i just go ahead and do another cup of gelatin and maybe trying stirring it more to keep it from all sticking to the bottom of the pot?

Old 04-22-2010, 04:10 AM   #10
Shepherd5
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used gelatin on my beer to clear it of chill haze, and it did not work. When my beer came up to room temp in the glass, it was clear, but I still get chill haze.

Quick Reply